Shure is getting up there to the "Bose" size..
Feb 16, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #31 of 51
Yes, except for the fact that Shure creates innovative and quality products at many price points.

Bose creates mediocre quality products at overly inflated price points.

Shure does more engineering and design than marketing.

Bose does more marketing then engineering and design.

-Ed

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
if they do get very popular, they're going to stop giving a **** and turn into bose.

Having worked there, I can assure you there is no chance of that. Shure is a 85 year old company, and has always cared deeply about sound quality. Many of the people working there are audiophiles. They are not publicly held and thus they are not often swayed by flight of fancy. Having Shure be the company that is having this success is very good indeed -- they will keep making good products.

Feb 17, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #33 of 51
Just an FYI for those fearing that "being on Best Buy's shelf" = "Bose-ification"...

Just saw several sets of Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 pro at my local Best Buy for $99. I have a 10% off coupon this weekend, might pick this up for my girlfriend who just got the Nano...

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Having worked there, I can assure you there is no chance of that. Shure is a 85 year old company, and has always cared deeply about sound quality. Many of the people working there are audiophiles. They are not publicly held and thus they are not often swayed by flight of fancy. Having Shure be the company that is having this success is very good indeed -- they will keep making good products.

I have to agree. For those of you old enough to remember turntables, the old Shure V15 (type II at the time) was a monster phono cartridge, especially considering it’s price point (read- student affordable). Nothing came close. Glad they’re still in business making affordable to very high-end products keeping everyone else in the market competitive. Kudos.

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Bose creates mediocre quality products at overly inflated price points.

Shure does more engineering and design than marketing.

Bose does more marketing then engineering and design.

-Ed

Funny world.

I believe Bose was actually started by a Prof at MIT, Dr. Amir Bose. Back in the 70's their speakers were all about reflected sound. Today one might expect more engineering and design from an MIT Prof than a transmission line bass port in a (very expensive) clock radio from them.

But yes, you really pay a premium for a mid-fi Bose product.

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Shure is the best hope for quality earphones becoming commonplace. I worked at Shure for 8 years in the late 80's/early 90's -- it's a cool company. I am very happy for them.

Cool. What did you do there?

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #37 of 51
Actually it's interesting... I had a desire to have IEMs for quite a while but I personally find ordering things online kind of a pain... I was surfing away on the Futureshop Website and found out they sold Shures... Well after some reading, seeing people's oppinions etc. I figured i'd give the E2Cs a shot. They made it convenient for me to buy their product and I bought it.

I have no reason not to buy Shure again in the future. I'm very satisfied with the product (for what it is). I know there are better models with better sound but it's a great entry into the IEM world in my oppinion and the build quality is great (except for the dumb stick on filters... I wish they did something different there, i'm always worried about them coming off in my ear).

It's good to see for sure. I havn't seen anyone else with Shure IEMs yet though, almost all iBuds, misc $20-$30 full sized headphones (Philips, Sony, saw a couple Sennheisers). I'm glad to see Shure is breaking into the lucrative market that the Sony walkman/discman started and the IPOD is continuing...

Feb 18, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #38 of 51
Hi Canon,

It's not required to use the wax guards, we only supply them for extreme cases. If you notice wax building up in the clear nozzle of the E2 then you should use the filters, otherwise I wouldn't worry about using them.

Feb 19, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #39 of 51
This is good news. I've never heard any Shure headphones, and I'm not sure I've even ever seen any. Sounds like I might have to check them out.

What does 'IEM' stand for?

Feb 19, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
Hi Canon,

It's not required to use the wax guards, we only supply them for extreme cases. If you notice wax building up in the clear nozzle of the E2 then you should use the filters, otherwise I wouldn't worry about using them I guess.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. I try to keep my ears clean to prevent what you are describing so I probably don't even need them I guess.

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
IEM = In Ear Monitor

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #43 of 51
It's great to see Shure's rise to glory. However, as it has been and seems that it always will be, Hi-Fi will never take the mainstream by the shirt. I believe this is because the typical american wants it good and wants it cheap. Once you can drop those notions, you expand your world a little, and I dont just mean that with audio equipment.

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #45 of 51
Shure is awesome. The product itself is good, but the service is excellent.

I shipped my headphones in for warranty on a Monday.

They received it on Wednesday, and immediately e-mailed me stating that they would be replaced, and shipped out the next day with a tracking #.

I got my brand-new, off-the-shelf, taped-up box of E5c's with all new accessories and a new case by the next Monday via UPS.

These are $350-500 earphones, and the service and 2 year warranty makes it all worth it.

Companies spend millions on advertising and marketing to get people's attention, yet when it comes down to servicing the needs of paying customers many times they fall short. It doesn't make sense.

I'm glad Shure is becoming popular. There's a lot to be said for customer service and word-of-mouth advertising, and just plain ol' walking the talk.

I tried Bose, not my cuppa tea. Spread the word, be it for Shure, Senns, Grados, UEs, etc. Hey if it can get you a hot date at Circuit City all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back