Shure E500PTH, or MacBook?
Aug 11, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyLavoie
Oh, no.. I was wondering whether there's a way to get any UNIX platforms to recognize the pen digitizer.

I imagine so, it's very much like a touch screen, except the tablet version of winxp adds the additional features to allow you to write down notes and what not.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyLavoie
That's what I'm thinking with the MacBook... I do some light programming, etc, and Windows is much better for that (or even Ubuntu or Kubuntu) but for everyday tasks, I absolutely LOVE Mac OSX. =] Windows does everything it does, but OSX streamlines it so nicely...

iPod and E500PTH are now on the FS forum...
frown.gif

My advice would be to get a lightly used thinkpad from ebay. If youre looking for portability/build quality, you cant do better than a thinkpad. Then just slap Kubuntu/Ubuntu on there and youre set. Ubuntu should be working 100% out of the box on a thinkpad so you wont have any issues there. Linux is better than windows for programming and IMO i prefer it for everyday over OS X.

Have you used gnome/kde/osx for an extended period of time? I used to like osx from the screenshots and stuff, but I hated when i actually used it for the first time.

You can run ubuntu on a tablet pc as well if you decide to go that route. http://tuxmobil.org/tablet_unix.html

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #35 of 42
Since it's asked above, I'm running OS X, XP and Ubuntu on my MacBook. thru Parallels. After 19 years on PCs, I've spent the last five with OS X (last Mac before was in '85), and now I'd love to never go back. Except for very specific uses (some trade apps, gaming, etc.) I just think OS X is a superior general OS. I do program in ASP during the day though so I need Windows around. Had two computers before the MacBook, now I've combined it to one. There are programs on both platforms I've found useful and don't want to give up. Everyone discusses this on the PC side, but there is no real DEVONthink-like free-form DB or equivalent to Applescript there for instance. My favorite video ripper is Windows-only. My favorite video compressor is Mac-only. Ubuntu is there for fun right now, but it's nice to have all three running simultaneously if I'm screwing around. Anyway it's good to have options.

Plus MacBooks have that nice optical out for your future audio needs.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #36 of 42
Go for the MacBook, for sure. It's the fastest, most well built computer I've ever used. The size is great, and one of the main selling points for me was the super easy to upgrade hard drive. Also, Front Row is great for chilling out to music. Battery life is awesome too.

Just be careful, because the MacBook and nano deal (it's a 2 GB nano, by the way) ends September 16. And you might want to leave aside a little cash to upgrade to 1 GB of RAM.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #37 of 42
I just picked up a dell e1505 with the following specs:

1.83 Ghz core duo
1 gig ddr ram
60 gig 7200 RPM harddrive
ati x1400 graphics with 256 mb ram
truebright display

+ a swissgear notebook backpack($50 value) + a $35 dollar coupon that can be spent on anything at the dell store..

for $750 shipped to my house(40% off listed price)

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #38 of 42
I would definitely go the Macbook way. You can get the E500 in a year when the price has undoubtedly dropped a bit and have a great laptop for school. I went to get a laptop two years ago and really wanted a Mac but ended up getting a high end Sony Vaio V505 that I have greatly regretted ever since. I thought I would have too much trouble working in the Mac environment and using my favorite software. Now that I have a Powermac desktop I can say that it is the best computer I have ever owned and has worked flawlessly for almost two years now. The Sony on the other hand is falling to pieces though I have only traveled with it 5-10 times in a well supported Tumi rolling laptop case inside a Tumi sleeve. The majority of the time it has set in my listening room. The mouse doesn't work, the hard drive is making all kinds of wonderful noise and everytime I pick it up I find it has restarted to allow for some update to Windows because of another security breach. I will be getting a Macbook Pro very soon and tossing the Sony. Don't get me started on the 6 new Dell Latitude D600s I have gone through at work in the last 8 months due to a myriad of problems.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #39 of 42
I just got through playing with a MacBook for a few days, and I'm more impressed than with any other Apple portable. Very compact, and good speed.

Moreover, you can get a factory refurb iBook for $1299 or less; I strongly suggest the black. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.8.7.1.0.1.1

Here we are, finding new ways to spend your money. Well, you asked for it!

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2
I just picked up a dell e1505 with the following specs:

1.83 Ghz core duo
1 gig ddr ram
60 gig 7200 RPM harddrive
ati x1400 graphics with 256 mb ram
truebright display

+ a swissgear notebook backpack($50 value) + a $35 dollar coupon that can be spent on anything at the dell store..

for $750 shipped to my house(40% off listed price)

tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

sweet jesus. what lcd res did you get?

Aug 11, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #41 of 42
Well, I've narrowed it down to two choices: the MacBook, or the Dell XPS M1210. I checked out the Inspiron 6400, and really love the SXGA screen, but I think it's too big to be carried around on a daily basis.

How's the quality on the M1210? I haven't been able to see a real, live sample.

BTW... Shures going on FS forum for 450$ Canadian, iPod 60Gb for 325$ Canadian. Asking $725-750 for both, together.

Aug 11, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek
sweet jesus. what lcd res did you get?

15.4 Inch TrueLife Wide-screenWXGA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back