Shure E500PTH, or MacBook?
Aug 11, 2006 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

AudreyLavoie

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone!

I have to be honest! I'm not a frequent visitor of this forum. Anyway, here's my dilemma.

I ordered a pair of Shure E500PTH headphones a month or two ago, and finally received them yesterday (along with the 98$ duties...)... BUT, I'm kind of in a sticky spot right now. My old Dell Inspiron 5100 is acting spotty, and I really need a laptop... 500$ is a big chunk towards a new laptop, eh?

The Shures are still sitting there, shrink-wrapped... should I sell them? I'm hoping to recoup at least 500$ Canadian, and I don't think it'd be hard to get that especially if there is a Canadian buyer... because I've already paid the duties for them!

I really want to keep the Shures... But, if I sell my 60Gb iPod Video and my Shure E500PTH, I'm about halfway there to a new MacBook.

The reasonable me says that I should sell the iPod and Shures, and get what I *NEED*, a new laptop... but I really want those Shures! I've been waiting almost two months for them.

Plus... the new semester is quickly coming up...

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 42
Definitely go MacBook. I would find that to be more important than the headphones. You can always get the headphones later. I'd say get a decent pair of portable headphones until you can afford the E500's there's plenty of used ones in the FS threads.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by volcomjerk
Definitely go MacBook. I would find that to be more important than the headphones. You can always get the headphones later. I'd say get a decent pair of portable headphones until you can afford the E500's there's plenty of used ones in the FS threads.

Well.. I think, deep down I know I've got to give them up.

How hard is it to sell them? I can take photos, and everything! I only have one HeatWare feedback, though... from my desktop I sold when I moved into rez.

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 42
hm, youre going to an audiophile website and asking whether you should keep your earphones or get a notebook?

that's like asking a lawyer "ok, so i dont think we have a good case, but should we take a go at it, so i can pay you the fees"
k1000smile.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyLavoie
Well.. I think, deep down I know I've got to give them up.

How hard is it to sell them? I can take photos, and everything! I only have one HeatWare feedback, though... from my desktop I sold when I moved into rez.

If they are still shrink-wrapped why don't you just return them?

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 42
Why not both?

I mean, you're considering a MacBook as you said and those are not cheap. So why not just keep the E500s and get a cheaper PC laptop? Nice new IEMs and a good laptop.

With Core Duo prices about to fall like a rock you can grab a really nice Core Duo equipped PC right before Core 2 launchs on the laptop side of things. Great value. I'm personally planning on picking up a Dell with a Core Duo and a X1400 (for basic 3D on the go, gotta have my Warcraft 3).

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 42
It's complicated... I had to get them shipped to a US relative, because for some reason they can't ship the E500PTH to Canada. I figure this would be simpler... plus, maybe some fellow Canadian can get a hold of the E500PTH. Minus the duties.
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
Why not both?

I mean, you're considering a MacBook as you said and those are not cheap. So why not just keep the E500s and get a cheaper PC laptop? Nice new IEMs and a good laptop.

With Core Duo prices about to fall like a rock you can grab a really nice Core Duo equipped PC right before Core 2 launchs on the laptop side of things. Great value. I'm personally planning on picking up a Dell with a Core Duo and a X1400 (for basic 3D on the go, gotta have my Warcraft 3).

Oh... well, I don't game much, and I'm looking for something with solid build quality. My 5100 got two cracks on each corner, from just carrying it in a LAPTOP BACKPACK.... I know they've gotten better (I was looking at some ASUS and Sony laptops) but I didn't really fancy the ASUS (limited selection in Canada), and for the price of the Sony, I might as well go for the Apple.

But.. just out of cuiriousity, when do you think the Core 2 Duo laptops will be out?

I'm hoping to get 600-700$ for the iPod and E500PTHs together, which is a whole lot closer to a new laptop than the... 50$? I have now. Plus, the semester starts soon...
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 42
Very soon. I'd hold off buying a laptop (Apple or otherwise) till they come if you're going to buy high end (which you basically are if you're considering a Apple).

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
Very soon. I'd hold off buying a laptop (Apple or otherwise) till they come if you're going to buy high end (which you basically are if you're considering a Apple).

Oh I see... I just checked out the Best Buy site and I see they already have Core 2 Duo desktops.

The MacBook I'm looking at would only be 1199$ Canadian, plus tax, which is pretty comparable to the Dell 640m that I'm also looking at and waaaaay cheaper than the comparable Sony.

What will Core 2 Duo do better than Core Duo? I only need it for surfing the net, word processing, and maybe some light coding.

Ohhh... anyone know if there are more metal parts on the black MacBook? It says they're the same weight so I don't think so, then...

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
If you're a student and you buy a MacBook right now, you get a Nano! Not 60GB but a little closer to enjoying IEMs perhaps.

Oh.. maybe I'll compromise, then. =] Sell the 60GB iPod and Shure E500PTH, and take the MacBook, 1GB Nano, and stick with my E2c?

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 42
The Core 2 Duo adds 64-bit support to the chip (not a big deal, but who's knows what might come up), improves performance, and the main thing is that it increases battery life.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #14 of 42
crap you have the e2c? i say keep the e500-pth
basshead.gif

btw, just because it's ample, that doesn't make it more durable. apple's are so overpriced too, it's a niche market.. and if you aren't using the benefits, then it's just a waste of money.

why not buy a notebook with a 2-3 year warranty, and save some pocket change? if you're not a gamer, then the most you should be spending on a notebook is $700.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
crap you have the e2c? i say keep the e500-pth
basshead.gif

btw, just because it's ample, that doesn't make it more durable. apple's are so overpriced too, it's a niche market.. and if you aren't using the benefits, then it's just a waste of money.

why not buy a notebook with a 2-3 year warranty, and save some pocket change? if you're not a gamer, then the most you should be spending on a notebook is $700.

Well, I've looked at various HP's, Compaqs, Toshibas, and Gateways... I'm not exactly convinced that they'll last. Particularly the way the LCD ripples if you flex the screen even a little bit. I looked at the Lenovo C100... but it's just too bland for me!

I'm also considering the Dell 640m, though, which runs about 100-200$ under the MacBook... I know the build has improved, but the MacBook feels much better. I really like the built-in webcam, and OSX... especially Expose and Dashboard.

My laptop goes EVERYWHERE with me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back