Shure E500PTH, or MacBook?
Aug 11, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #16 of 42
ah maybe that's why it wears out. i figure if you can use a notebook for at least 3 years, you'll get all the value in the world out of it.

i've had my dell for about 2 years now, and it's broken down on me once (the hard drive fried, dell's warranty covered it.. they paid for packacing/shipping both ways!)... so why not get a 2 or 3 year warranty?

i dont know much about notebook prices, but are you sure it runs $100-$200 less than macbooks? i thought apples, based on price/performance, were much more overpriced..

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 42
It's not so bad, if you use the educational discount. Plus, Dell doesn't have nearly as many coupon deals in Canada...

Looking at my budget for this year, I think I'm going to have to definitely part with the E500PTH, if not the iPod also... a plus with the MacBook is that I get the Nano for consolation, but I will check it out before I buy!

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 42
Well, Apple probably should charge more for their stuff than a bunch of companies charge for their cookie-cutter boxes.

If you havn't owned an Apple, you'll love it even more. I almost just bought a MacBook but I'm sticking w/ my 12" PowerBook G4 for now (I've had it for 2.5 years and I'm still in love with it) p e a c e

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
Well, Apple probably should charge more for their stuff than a bunch of companies charge for their cookie-cutter boxes.

If you havn't owned an Apple, you'll love it even more. I almost just bought a MacBook but I'm sticking w/ my 12" PowerBook G4 for now (I've had it for 2.5 years and I'm still in love with it) p e a c e

i dont think so... PC is the juggernaut because it offers functions that the masses would use. apple is successful because it's a niche market, it magnifies its few (albeit useful in some applications) strengths. i know students who major in film primarily own apples. i think some schools require you to have one actually.

as for me, the typical end-user, i find a PC much more useful for my needs. no offense, but audrey seems to want an apple for the wrong reason: durability.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1979
What about the OS? Can you work with Windows or Apple, do you have a prefrence? That should also be a consideration. If anything else, you could scan ebay for deals on notebooks.

-
That's where the beauty of Apple going with an X86 processor, you can now run Windows on a Mac. So you can buy a copy of Windows (school discount, wont be to bad) if you ever should need it and simply run it off the Mac.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #22 of 42
That's what I'm thinking with the MacBook... I do some light programming, etc, and Windows is much better for that (or even Ubuntu or Kubuntu) but for everyday tasks, I absolutely LOVE Mac OSX. =] Windows does everything it does, but OSX streamlines it so nicely...

iPod and E500PTH are now on the FS forum...
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
-
That's where the beauty of Apple going with an X86 processor, you can now run Windows on a Mac. So you can buy a copy of Windows (school discount, wont be to bad) if you ever should need it and simply run it off the Mac.

Yes, its true, but I wasn't aware if they were selling any with x86 processors yet.

I wonder, could you dual boot Mac and Windows (or for that matter, Mac and (K)ubuntu)? I haven't (yet) read of any cases, but maybe this is an option for you.

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #24 of 42
I would probably boot-camp the MacBook with OSX and a very, very stripped down version of XP. Maybe replace that with Kubuntu or openSUSE down the line.. who knows.

Sorry for going off-topic. This is supposed to be the headphones discussion area, eh?
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #25 of 42
Macbooks yes they can boot windows, unfortuantely they're not that good, depending on your priorities. If it's just for simple stuff, like programming, watching videos, surfing the net, no problems, but if it's something more for gaming, I'd buy a PC notebook.

Plus with a PC you have the option of going with a tablet PC, those are just neat
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:11 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemos
Plus with a PC you have the option of going with a tablet PC, those are just neat
smily_headphones1.gif

If you can find me a widescreen tablet PC with a resolution higher than 1024x768, that's under 1800$ Canadian, I'm sold.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemos
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...6123&category=

A little over your budget, I'm pretty sure if you search around you could get it for ~1850CND, or right before school starts discounts are awesome too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweet... I wonder if those Best Buy coupons apply to this?
wink.gif

One thing though... I'm not sure if K/ubuntu or openSUSE support the tablet platform.

Damnit.. I was almost certain on the Macbook. But hey, for the price of this... I could get a MacBook PRO. And, it'd moo!

Aug 11, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyLavoie
Sweet... I wonder if those Best Buy coupons apply to this?
wink.gif

One thing though... I'm not sure if K/ubuntu or openSUSE support the tablet platform.

Damnit.. I was almost certain on the Macbook. But hey, for the price of this... I could get a MacBook PRO. And, it'd moo!

Hmm well whatever you can run on windows you can run on a tablet pc, depending on your needs however are what make a tablet intresting. I only have very limited experience on a tablet PC, but for taking notes in class I don't know how you could have it, a notebook really NEVER beat pen and pencil for alot of my science courses.

But with the tablet, you can type, then turn it into a tablet, draw the sketch right into the notes, and save.

One of my friends told me I need to get a tablet PC if I ever get into medicine his reasoning is because, all the notes are downloadable, but when you have a radiology professor he takes out his laser pointer to a slide of an xray and says "this is what cancer could look like" with a tablet pc you can go to that slide, and ciricle and label that area. If you just had a regular notebook you couldn't do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back