Shure E500 - leaks sound
Sep 2, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Jester
I use the Westone Short Comply tips on my E500's and I can turn them up to blisteringly high sound levels and you can't hear a thing. So, as far as I can tell there is no leaking sound with mine.

Jester

Jester,

I assume you did some experimenting with tips before settling on the Comply tips. How do they sound compared to the Shure foamies, grey default sleeve or the triflange?

Tuarreg

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #32 of 47
They sound great, and feel better too.

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #33 of 47
Well I guess this can be interpret as a defect for some E500. E500 leaks the most (significantly) compare to Shure E2, E3, E4, E5 and Ety ER4 that I owned. I'm not sure is Shure would admit to this flaw though...? My E500 was also dusty when new out of the box...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Jester
I use the Westone Short Comply tips on my E500's and I can turn them up to blisteringly high sound levels and you can't hear a thing. So, as far as I can tell there is no leaking sound with mine.

I use mine in bed every night with my computer and if there was any sound leakage, trust me, my girlfriend would let me know about it. The only other sound in our bedroom is the ceiling fan, but that is only the slightest sound of moving air. My girlfriend is a very light sleeper and any noise would wake her up. She goes to sleep before I do and thats one reason why I quit using my full size cans in bed. The E500's are great, though, and I can't imagine how loud they would have to be turned up to make them leak sound.

I just tried turning them WAY up again and she leaned in really close to my head couldn't hear a thing.

Jester

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids
I just got a pair and they don't leak at all. I had my friend put them on the way I do, and I barely heard a thing when I stood next to her. You guys should practice, or try different tips.

Barely heard a thing? Heh, you shouldn't be hearing _anything_.

Sep 3, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Stop nitpicking and enjoy the music.

These people spent almost half of $1000 for these IEMs; they have a right to be picky.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Barely heard a thing? Heh, you shouldn't be hearing _anything_.

That's right, you shouldn't be hearing anything. And I doubt you do when the music's on. The people around you, however, may hear a slight buzz from your ears depending on the angle of insertion, quality of the seal or simply the size of your ear canals. They're not magical, guys; some sound will probably get out. If it's affecting the quality of the music or bothering your office mates, look into it. Otherwise, what's the problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
These people spent almost half of $1000 for these IEMs; they have a right to be picky.

Of course they do, it's just stupid. You're receiving full-size headphone quality sound in a pocket-sized form factor and you're actually whining because of some sound leakage? Wow.

Sep 3, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #38 of 47
Exactly.

Tuarreg

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Of course they do, it's just stupid. You're receiving full-size headphone quality sound in a pocket-sized form factor and you're actually whining because of some sound leakage? Wow.

Saying that a $500 IEM leak A LOT more than the cheaper E4, E3, E2, and ety er4 is stupid? What do you think some people get IEM for? Is it maybe for studying in a quiet area like a library or study lounge? Do you really think people with a whole bunch of experience with IEM don't know what the deal is with seal? Do you know how manufacture can improve on their product?

Calling other people's comments stupid just because you don't like it? WOW.

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Another way to test it which is what I did is to make a fist and stuff the IEM/sleeve in the top of your fist, hold it tight to duplicate how it would be if sealed properly in the ear and play some music. When I did this you could easily hear the music... just the highs really but leakage was very obvious.

Actually, I don't think this is a good test. I tried that w/ my sf5p's in the past and it doesn't really replicate what's happening when they're in you ears. I've asked many people if they could hear my sf5p's and they've all said not a bit. But, stuffing them into my fist I could hear quite a bit of leakage.

Sep 3, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #41 of 47
I haven't seen them in person yet - patiently awaiting an order - but don't the E500's have a slight crescent-shaped port, presumingly for bass? if so, would this explain the leakage?

Sep 3, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
Saying that a $500 IEM leak A LOT more than the cheaper E4, E3, E2, and ety er4 is stupid? What do you think some people get IEM for? Is it maybe for studying in a quiet area like a library or study lounge? Do you really think people with a whole bunch of experience with IEM don't know what the deal is with seal? Do you know how manufacture can improve on their product?

Calling other people's comments stupid just because you don't like it? WOW.

I own them -- they don't leak that much. I assume you don't.

Sep 3, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

I own them -- they don't leak that much. I assume you don't.

Yes and how do you suppose I don't own them. Did you get that impression because I stated that my E500 leak a lot more than my E4? Do you have experience with E5, E4, E3, E2, and ER4 to compare? I assume you don't.

Sep 3, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #44 of 47
My E500 leak just as much as my E3c, ie not even audible at a hands length playing at comfortable levels. This is plugged into someones ear ofc, the "closed fist" test is incredibly stupid and inaccurate.

Sep 3, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
Yes and how do you suppose I don't own them. Did you get that impression because I stated that my E500 leak a lot more than my E4? Do you have experience with E5, E4, E3, E2, and ER4 to compare? I assume you don't.

I own the e2 and e4 as well, yes. Sorry, I just assumed you couldn't possibly own them all since I do and haven't ever been bothered with this problem in the slightest. I mean, I'm in the school library almost every day and no one has mentioned a thing about this supposed leakage. But hey, complaining is fun, I know. I guess I'm just not as good at finding things to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back