Shure E500 - leaks sound
Aug 31, 2006 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a set of E500's. They sound really good - if anyone is looking for a comparison to the Super.fi 5 Pro's, which has been my question since day one, I'll say this:

The E500's are a slight - I repeat slight notch better than the Super.fi 5 Pro's - imo. I'm not going to speculate about bass, mids or highs - don't want to type a book here. Overall they are just a little better.

But the real issue for me is that at volume levels above half way on my iPod you can hear them. This won't work in an office environment (I've alreay heard from people). I've tried most of the different tips thinking that a tighter fit way down in my ear canal might solve this but it doesn't.

I have played them out in the open (not in my ear) and done everything I could to mute the sound like put a finger over the audio exit tubes, place them under a glass, etc. etc. and you can still hear them. My point is that I don't think it's my seal when I put them in my ear. I shove IEM's way deep in my ear cancal - as far as I can - can't go any further.

My Super.fi's cannot be heard one bit when the volume is all the way up. No one around me can hear anything. The Shures can be heard all over the place.

This sucks. If I can't listen to them at the volume I want to at work then it's a deal breaker and time to RMA them...

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 47
I noticed that too and thought it was maybe because I listen at higher volumes but even after I turned them down (using the tri-flange with the stem trimmed) they still leak all the highs and can easily be heard by others in a quite environment. This added to the reasons I decided to get rid of them and go custom. I don't remember my UM2 or E4C leaking at all... I wonder why they E500's leak so much?

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 47
Yap, it leaks sound, but because I usually use it on the bus or noisy environment. I am a little bit bothered by it.

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 47
Odd... I don't have a pair yet but I've spent several hours with them and have never noticed them leaking, including when they were in other people's ears....

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 47
That's odd for me as well. Then again, I only spent a few hours with them and people were talking both times. If this is true of all the E500's then that sucks as I wont be able to use them when I am in the library.

Aug 31, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 47
Another way to test it which is what I did is to make a fist and stuff the IEM/sleeve in the top of your fist, hold it tight to duplicate how it would be if sealed properly in the ear and play some music. When I did this you could easily hear the music... just the highs really but leakage was very obvious.

Aug 31, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 47
After reading this, I played around with making a fist, finger-plug, etc. I first turned Metallica's "Attitude" up beyond a comfortable listening level and tried the fist . . . you're right, they do leak. Athough, I could not hear any sound when I fully outstretched my arm. hmm...

Returned the sound level to a comfortable listening level and I couldn't hear anything beyond one foot/my forearm.

Covering them with the index finger - no sound leaking for me.

I'd be interested to hear other people's results.

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 47
hmmm interesting - after all of the golden reviews I've read and not one of them mentioned this, which just so happens to be one thing that will make them a complete no no.

Whats the bet XXX's aren't going to do this, because if 5 Pro's don't make a sound I hardly think UE are going to take a step backwards.

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 47
This may also boil down to an argument over the definition of "comfortable volume".

Aug 31, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 47
I just got a pair and they don't leak at all. I had my friend put them on the way I do, and I barely heard a thing when I stood next to her. You guys should practice, or try different tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back