Shure E500/E530 Cable Poll
Aug 4, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #346 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by winson ip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own the third pairs. They have the cable problem. I will go to get the forth pair in this week. I bought the earphone when the E500PTH first launch. At the third pair it change to SE530. The cable life extended from (E500) average 6 to 9 months. I use this only between office and home. The date code of this one is 3526. IMO, Cable material have no different between E500 and SE530.
wink.gif

I get a new pair of SE530 and the date code is 1498 SE530. The cable i think surface a little bit rough and soft then the previous. Some noticeable change is the plug of the extension cable end with a notch (maybe some user complain about the plug is too thick).

Cheers!
happy_face1.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #347 of 391
I heard people cutting a piece of wire (about 1 inch), empty it and use the mantle to cover your broken wire. Then you can use black sewing thread to roll around the repair. This way you don't use any adhesive and you don't get any sticky parts.

You can also use teflon tape to safely cover the broken part and then cover it with black thread.

Either way you'll have a clean job and the intern parts of your wire will be secured. The thread rolling can be tricky but for this kind of equipment you can surely afford to spend a little hour to repair it.

And here's another solution: find an online retailer where you bought other stuff that also sell Shure earphones and "edit" the invoice to include a set of Sure earphones. That could do for an official retailer invoice.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #348 of 391
Not quite sure what some people do to their ear/headphones... I usually spend around about 20 hours a week (ok, really only 5 hours running and weights, rest of time I play pickup bball) in the gym with my gears and never had any problems

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #349 of 391
I heard people cutting a piece of wire (about 1 inch), empty it and use the mantle to cover your broken wire. Then you can use black sewing thread to roll around the repair. This way you don't use any adhesive and you don't get any sticky parts.

You can also use teflon tape to safely cover the broken part and then cover it with black thread.

Either way you'll have a clean job and the intern parts of your wire will be secured. The thread rolling can be tricky but for this kind of equipment you can surely afford to spend a little hour to repair it.

And here's another solution: find an online retailer where you bought other stuff that also sell Shure earphones and "edit" the invoice to include a set of Sure earphones. That could do for an official retailer invoice.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #350 of 391
Just recieved my replacement pair of SE530 and the imprint is 1868 so I'm sure to have the new cables.

The extension cables have also ben modified from the ones of the first pair. the male side have about ¼ inch near the plug who is slimmer.

The wires are really smooth but they're new. Really hope that there won't be any problem.

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #351 of 391
I'm sure many would appreciate some kind of video tutorial on how to manage these changes. I'm thinking of a purchase, but I won't drop the dough until I can get the cables completely changed - preferably with a braided design.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #352 of 391
They don't change the cable, they just replace the whole thing.

The only story of recabled SE530 that I heard is someone who completely changed the iem to make em custom.

Link here

Aug 15, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #353 of 391
Well after about a year of slight use my E500 cable broke just above the ear. It actually broke couple months ago and I just put them away. Just started checking about other people reporting the same thing. Hopefully I can get them replaced.

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #354 of 391
I'm on my third pair of shure se530pth. I actually bought the e500pth right when they discontinued them. They then sent me a replacement of se530pth. Anyway, those broke after 4 months of moderate use. Luckily, I'm still under warranty and they still replaced it.

I saw the thread about transforming the Shures, and I've considered shipping my IEMs to Japan, but it's pretty expensive. I would love a braided cable, but I can't afford it right now.

So, a solution I have found that seems to work is to use silicone tape and wrap it lengthwise from the monitor just long enough that it protects the delicate cable from touching the top of the ear. It works very well, and it actually keeps the cable from getting stiff. The oils from the skin are not touching the cable just the tape. The silicone tape bonds to itself and not to the cable. The tape doesn't shift either since it's tight around the cable, and it is also black. I also have a clear silicone tape, but I like the black better since you can't hardly tell that there's tape there. I wish I could take a picture of how nice it looks. It protects the cable well, and it's stealth. I couldn't find any stores that sell them so I bought mine from ebay. If anyone wants to know who I got it from, just PM me.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #355 of 391
Along those same lines I'm trying something with my latest pair of SE530's. I took about 3 feet of thread (like, the kind you sew with) and wrapped it around the first 3 inches of the cord. It's nice and tight so that each loop of thread is butted up against the ones next to it, but not so tight that I lose much flexibility. Took me about 30 minutes to do both cables and other than the thread picking up a little dust it's not really noticeable if you go over the ear.

Can't hurt I guess. Anyone else try anything other than complete recabling? preferably that doesn't void the warranty...?

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #357 of 391
i got mine september 2007 but they split around april this year....
I have put them away because i didnt really need them since school was over. But now that i got an iphone i want something light, so i want them replaced.

they are 2416 which i think is like sometime in august 2006 which means that warrantee is over.

The reason i put them away is that shure is honouring warantee on e500 buyers. I read here that shure is replacing all e500 with cable problems without receipt or out of the 2 year manufacture date. If I knew that they were getting strict I would have got this replaced as soon as they broke since I was winthin the 2 year from manufacture date.

How do i get return number or how do i actually get the e500 fixed?
can someone tell me how to go about doing it?
Or do I just pack up everythign agian in the original box with all the accesories and send it?

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #360 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyungryul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got mine september 2007 but they split around april this year....
I have put them away because i didnt really need them since school was over. But now that i got an iphone i want something light, so i want them replaced.

they are 2416 which i think is like sometime in august 2006 which means that warrantee is over.

The reason i put them away is that shure is honouring warantee on e500 buyers. I read here that shure is replacing all e500 with cable problems without receipt or out of the 2 year manufacture date. If I knew that they were getting strict I would have got this replaced as soon as they broke since I was winthin the 2 year from manufacture date.

How do i get return number or how do i actually get the e500 fixed?
can someone tell me how to go about doing it?
Or do I just pack up everythign agian in the original box with all the accesories and send it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it when you buy the headphone the date that you buy it, not the date that it was manufactured is when they start the 2 year warranty??? If so, and if you still have the original receipt of when you bought the e500, then send it along with the printed out form from the shure website.

Here's an excerpt from the shure website about warranty:

WARRANTY

SE Models (SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530/SE530PTH)

(all other products, see further below)

Two-Year Limited Warranty

As of May 1, 2007, Shure Incorporated (“Shure”) hereby warrants to the original consumer purchaser only that this product will be free in normal use of any defects in materials and workmanship for a period of two (2) years from the consumer’s original date of purchase directly from Shure or from a Shure-authorized reseller. At its sole option, Shure will repair or replace the defective product and promptly return it to you. In order for this warranty to be valid, the consumer must, at the time the product is returned, provide proof of purchase in the form of the original purchase receipt directly from Shure or from a Shure-authorized reseller. If Shure elects to replace the defective product, then Shure reserves the right to replace the defective product with another product of the same model or a model of at least comparable quality and features in Shure’s sole determination.

There is also the shure repair correspondence form here that you need to fill out and send along with your broken ones, and original receipt. (I got my original e500 from ebay, and I just included my paypal transaction and sent it):

http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups...doc_repair.pdf

I have just sent mine in 2 months ago, and I got an immediate replacement within 1 1/2 weeks after sending it to them. And this is my 3rd pair in less than 2 years! The e500 broke then an e530, and now I have a brand new e530 that I plan to keep for the long run after wrapping up the cable in silicone!
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back