Shure E500/E530 Cable Poll
Oct 21, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #241 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...I'm glad you like the sound of E500/SE530, I designed it.

WOW!

In that case, I just wanted to thank you personally (how often can one do that??) for the e500. I've been on the hunt for quality IEMs for years, and I've finally had the privelage to own the e500, my family pitched in for my birthday. I've been listening to them non-stop for two days, and I absolutely love them. I'm in aural bliss.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #242 of 391
Sugarfried, I'd like to thank you personally for your great customer support and for designing the e500/se530. Having you reading my post here and acknowledging my appreciation is just as good as an autograph from a superstar. The sound coming from those IEMs always puts me in a state of bliss. I sent in my e500 since cable frayed and I just received a brand new e530 a couple of days ago. So, thanks, I know I can always turn to Shure in the future if anything else should happen again.

I can now resume my listening to Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talking at Me"... I don't hear a word they're saying... because literally, I don't hear a word they're saying!! Isolation in those cans is just simply amazing!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #244 of 391
The cable to the right driver of my E500's has a crack in it as of this morning
frown.gif

Time to call Shure....

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #245 of 391
Not that I'm trying to go anywhere with this, but has anyone actually had any problems with the left cable?

Nov 25, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #246 of 391
My e500's cable is getting a bit harder to bend but still working good with some love. Now I have to taking more care for bending while taking out of my bag (I put it with some books and drawing papers).
Hope it last more longer till i had enough money to change...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #248 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I'm trying to go anywhere with this, but has anyone actually had any problems with the left cable?

Never mind, searched myself. The answer is yes.

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #249 of 391
So after four month's use my SE530 cable frayed on the right hand side where they connect to the earpiece. Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected given the problems that have been widely discussed (and this was despite very careful handling and storage).

I returned them to Shure's UK Service Centre for warranty replacement, with a covering letter detailing the issue, advising it's a known fault, that I KNOW it's a known fault and requesting a replacement pair from stock manufactured using the new cable compound. A week later I received the replacement earphones and the first thing I did was check the serial number on the jack - which revealed that the "new" earphones I have been sent are from an OLDER batch than the ones I sent in! They are even stamped with E500 on the jack!

I spoke to Shure's UK customer service team and their representative had NO IDEA what I was talking about regarding the cable problems - he just said to keep using the earphones and if they fail again (which they doubtless will) then send them in again. Regardless of this being a waste of my time (and money) in packaging up and posting them back (with adequate insurance etc) it seems a shame that a company with such a well regarded customer service ethos does not extend this to their European/UK arm. It seems as though the technical info on faults etc is simply not being communicated to them.

If Sugarfried or another of the Shure reps on Head-Fi sees this post, my request is that some kind of internal memo be sent to Shure UK so that they are properly appraised of the E500 cable situation and can respond appropriately in future - it would be appreciated!

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #250 of 391
My experience mirrors almost exactly that of Birryboy. Shure UK wouldn't accept that cable fraying is a known issue but were perfectly willing to replace my headphones anyway.

I too received an older pair as replacement for the ones I returned but the boxes are sealed so perhaps it isn't possible for the warehouse despatchers to check the individual serial nos.

My big problem and worry is that I am now on my fourth par of SE530's since April! All have had the same cable fraying fault and I know full well that it will only be a question of time before my current pair fail too.

Ragtime

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #251 of 391
Got my E500's for over a year now and wear them every day: still going strong.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #253 of 391
I had a great customer support experience getting my SE530's with a cracked cable replaced. Less than 10 days. But I also got back product that was older than my original (3106), which would tell me that these also have cables with the bad compound.

For reference, the cable jacket on my wife's SE110's (date code 1957) look like they will outlast my SE530's. Based on the date code, I assume the SE110's are using the new compound.

My question is, should I contact Shure and insist on newer product to avoid having my cable crack again?

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #254 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a great customer support experience getting my SE530's with a cracked cable replaced. Less than 10 days. But I also got back product that was older than my original (3106), which would tell me that these also have cables with the bad compound.

For reference, the cable jacket on my wife's SE110's (date code 1957) look like they will outlast my SE530's. Based on the date code, I assume the SE110's are using the new compound.

My question is, should I contact Shure and insist on newer product to avoid having my cable crack again?

we would all love to send out e500's back and demand a newer model but the sad reality is we as consumers are not supposed to know when the new cable was produced which means its reasonable for them to say no to you if nothing is wrong.

if you demand a newer cable and send urs in, they could send you one back a day newer and you have no rights to complain because you dont actually know when the cable was rethought

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #255 of 391
Thanks to those responsible for getting Head-fi back up. Good work! Now I can finally post in this thread... I've RMA'd two pairs of E500s in the past year (to Shure's Canadian distributor (?) SF Marketing). Everyone involved (including the Shure guys here at HF) have been absolutely great in handling this problem. Except Canada Post, which charges me $10 to mail it with tracking to Quebec. My first pair made on 1936, replaced with 2356, which were replaced with SE530s made on 3106. So the date code is creeping up slowly, but I'm sure even the SE530 will still crack eventually. Does anyone know whether I can RMA these if the wire cracks 2 years after the manufacturing date code? In Canada? Or will I need to contact someone in the good ol' US of A to get this process started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back