Shure E500/E530 Cable Poll
Jan 27, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #286 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by listenCarefully /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanx for your help moseboy. I appreciate you putting my worries to rest.

That's no problem. Trust me, I've been there (seriously) and it's so nice when you can just finally appreciate a product instead of worrying about it.

Have a good one

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #287 of 391
Even though this is probably known I wanted to show a picture showing the difference between the 2 types of cables. I have 2 pairs of Shure headphones, one with the old style cable, and one with the new. The SE210 has the stiffer cable design, and se530 has the newer more flexible updated cable.

Date code on the SE210 is 0787 while the date code on my se530's is 3247.

The attached picture shows a pair of se210s that are about a month old with maybe 30-40 hours of use, and the se530s are about 2 days old with about 8 hours of use. Notice how the se530 cable has much softer bends already?

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #288 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by dietcokefiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though this is probably known I wanted to show a picture showing the difference between the 2 types of cables. I have 2 pairs of Shure headphones, one with the old style cable, and one with the new. The SE210 has the stiffer cable design, and se530 has the newer more flexible updated cable.

The attached picture shows a pair of se210s that are about a month old with maybe 30-40 hours of use, and the se530s are about 2 days old with about 8 hours of use. Notice how the se530 cable has much softer bends already?

Sugarfried said elsewhere (in this thread? so long I forgot) that the cables of the other IEMs aren't the same as the SE530. Just think you should be sure the SE210 and SE530's ever used the same cables.

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #289 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sugarfried said elsewhere (in this thread? so long I forgot) that the cables of the other IEMs aren't the same as the SE530. Just think you should be sure the SE210 and SE530's ever used the same cables.

Ahh ok. When I spoke to a Shure rep at CES I mentioned the stiff cable problem I noticed on a pair they sent me for review (was not aware of this thread at the time) and he said it was updated and any newer models would not have the same flexibility problem.

Other than that the cables look nearly identical between both pairs of headphones, same plug design, same markings, etc.

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #290 of 391
I don't use my e500s much and, not surprisingly, they haven't broken. On the other hand I would like to deal with this issue before the 2 year warranty expires. Does anyone know if Shure will replace an unbroken cable purchased in July of 2006?

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #291 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The full lineup of SE models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I seem to remember Sugarfried saying that the whole SE line uses the same cable material, but all I could get was the above quote from post 100 of the current thread, way back on page 10.

Sugarfried was answering the question "has the 'redesigned cable' been implemented in the full Shure lineup or just for the 530s' ", and the answer is yes, the full line.

Anyway, I'm pretty ticked, because after having my e4g's crack for the second time, I just decided to buy a new pair of SE310s earlier this month, hoping that they would have the new cables. BTW, when my first e4g pair cracked, the Apple dealer I bought the e4g's from in Beijing told me Shure in China wouldn't replace them. I had to do an end-run around them and get them replaced at Shure's centre in Hong Kong!

Unfortunately, with a date stamp of 0827, based on the experiences of a few other posters it looks like I may have gotten stuck with the older cable type. I don't know if I was just unlucky in getting stock that was almost a year old (!), but it makes me wonder how much inventory Shure has piled up in China. [Mine is the Chinese version (SE310-CHN on the box).]

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #292 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by dietcokefiend /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks for that pic. My SE530's cables are a bit different than yours, probably because as I've said before, they're really E500s in a SE530 box (bought a few days ago from Amazon). The Y-connector on mine is located in the middle and the end of the extension that plugs into the mp3 player is the single mini-plug. I'm not sure which way is better.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #293 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seem to remember Sugarfried saying that the whole SE line uses the same cable material, but all I could get was the above quote from post 100 of the current thread, way back on page 10.

Sugarfried was answering the question "has the 'redesigned cable' been implemented in the full Shure lineup or just for the 530s' ", and the answer is yes, the full line.

Yeah, I agree with you. I went back and looked and he also said something on page 9 (? forgot exact page) that the SE530 (and all SE cables) have the same diameter (as opposed to the E2G). So that implies they are the same as well.

I made the mistake of assuming they were the same cable earlier and wanted to caution against that unless it was known they were really the same cable.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #294 of 391
So, going back for a look at dietcokefiend's picture, I cannot see a difference between his SE530's cable and my E500's cable. That is, the plug is the same, the wire thickness appears the same (in relation to the plug), all the construction looks identical. My cables where they go over the ears now have a pronounced curve and are fairly stiff (I bought them last July). The date on the plug: 2586 E500. I just wonder if you can really look at the old and new cable and see a difference or do you just have to surmise the difference based on if they get stiff.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #295 of 391
I'm pretty sure that the Shure rep said you can't distinguish the new cables from the old just by looking at them -- at least when they are new! That's one of the reasons another poll was started, to figure out just when Shure switched over to the new cables:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/all...c-link-285751/

Once an old cable starts to stiffen up or crack, yeah, then you'd be able to tell them apart...

Though to be honest, I've been wondering -- since it sometimes takes many months before the cables finally crack -- just how certain Shure could be that the new cables won't have the same problems eventually. If they only switched over in early 2007...

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #296 of 391
This is a little irritating. I spend $400 on this IEM, find out 1 1/2 years later that people are experiencing a problem with the cord and when I email Shure about replacing it before my warranty runs out they don't even bother to get back to me. If that's how they do business I guess they won't need mine in the future.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #297 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by listenCarefully /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a little irritating. I spend $400 on this IEM, find out 1 1/2 years later that people are experiencing a problem with the cord and when I email Shure about replacing it before my warranty runs out they don't even bother to get back to me. If that's how they do business I guess they won't need mine in the future.

Well, not everyone gets the problem. If your cables haven't started hardening after 1 1/2 years, you may be part of the lucky majority.

I think the people who should be most worried are those who got their replacement out of the old stock towards the end of their warranty periods. By the time they develop cracks, they may be well beyond the end of the original warranty period. With the new hard-line approach Shure is taking towards warranties, that would be a cause for concern.

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #298 of 391
I still can't decide what to do with my new SE530's, bought last week from Amazon but according to the plug stamp are actually E500s with a date code of 2866. Do I:

1) Call up Amazon to return them and make them send me "real" SE530s?

2) Call up Shure and return the product to them?

3) Just live w/ them, not worry about it, and figure I'll be able to exchange them with Shure if and when the dreaded cord problem arises with mine?

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #300 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the se210 isn't that good, cable wise(sound wise too). the cable start acting up now with 2 months extentive use. i use it everywhere including using it at the gym. i wipe it everytime after though. i just get the feeling the cable will break for another 2, 3 months.

Mine (cables on my Shure SE210-K's) just broke after less then two months of very,very light use.Not happy.

I will be sending them back come Monday,for warranty repair/fix/replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back