shure E4c no bass?
Nov 23, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 55
Yah like everyone said seal is key but what I noticed going from the EX71 to the E4's is that the bass is very present but just wont give u that impact like the EX71's would. I could hear it, its nice and tight and very clean for most of my songs but when I play some other music like certain soundtracks the bass just really comes out in force.

Nov 24, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTech221
Yah like everyone said seal is key but what I noticed going from the EX71 to the E4's is that the bass is very present but just wont give u that impact like the EX71's would. I could hear it, its nice and tight and very clean for most of my songs but when I play some other music like certain soundtracks the bass just really comes out in force.

this is what i want to hear!! i am upgarding from the ex51 to the e4...

hopefully i didn't make a wrong move!!

Nov 24, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #18 of 55
With the e4s directional nozzle, I believe it is important to not necessarily put them as far as possible in your ears, but in a position where the sound can be distributed in your ear canal. You'll see this by simply rotating them slightly in your ears, and bam, suddenly there's bass!

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 55
I bought my E4c's about a month ago (AU$300 off ebay!). When they first arrived I was convinced I'd bought a dud - it took me ages to get the seal right. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm new to this whole audiophile thing) but they take a while to burn in aswell - mine were pretty average for the first 20 hours or so - now they are awesome!

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 55
Seal is huge, but I think source is a big issue too. I think the bass straight out of the ipod is bad with the e4c, but I started using them through my cmoy and line-out and the bass is MUCH MUCH better

Nov 24, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #21 of 55
[size=x-small]In advance: don't start flaming me for my music choice, she's not my favorite artist or anything :).[/size]

I tried the following yesterday:

iRiver H340, Rock EQ, volume 13
Shure E4, straight from iRiver H340, modded triple flanges to biflanges (good seal)
Britney Spears - Me Against The Music (Justice 4:01 Remix Feat. Madonna)

This is a song from the new Britney album 'B in the mix'. The remixes are some pretty groovy mixes, I must admit. But when I did the setup as stated above, my head almost exploded! Try this, and you'll never say the E4's don't have bass... damn what a ride.

Aug 14, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
Seal is huge, but I think source is a big issue too. I think the bass straight out of the ipod is bad with the e4c, but I started using them through my cmoy and line-out and the bass is MUCH MUCH better

i noticed an improvement too, with my cmoy and all.

man, i can tell a difference even with the cmoy... how much of a jump is it from cmoy --> total bithead? is the difference easily noticeable?

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #23 of 55
My E4Gs have always had plenty of punchy bass, even directly out of an iPod. It isn't the kind of bass you can feel, but you can hear it, and it is deep, tight, and clean. The bass doesn't perceptably increase in loudness or punchiness when using my Total Bithead. (2006)

I use Comply tips, and always insert mine very deeply, and slightly rotated forward.

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 55
My E4c has enough bass straight out of a 4G iPod, which is considered to have a major bass roll-off. I use foamies, which ensure a good seal.

Aug 14, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #25 of 55
E4s are definitely not bass-shy, compare to my E3 and ER4, and even KSC75. If you hear all frequencies but the bass, it's definitley because you didn't get a good seal. Don't be afraid to shove these things down your ear. And in case if all tips don't work on you, try the foamies, they are probably your last resort.

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #26 of 55
Add an amp in it, especially a bassy one like the PA2V2, the bass comes out quite nicely. And seal is also a big factor in achieving bass. I find the clear hard flex tips work best for me in bringing out the most bass, with foamies coming close behind. Foamies are the most comfortable and easiest way to gain a perfect seal, though, if this is your first experience with an IEM.

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #27 of 55
The Shure E4C are bass lite earphones. This is compounded by the lack of bass impact with what bass they actually have.

For me, this is one of the easiest to seal earphones due to great design and ergonomics. If you did not get a good seal you would notice the sound accros the entire spectrum would not sound right, not just the bass.

Aug 14, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #28 of 55
The E4 with foamies (great seal) straight out of an un'EQ'd ipod did not have nearly enough bass for me. Sure everyone once in a while a song would come along that the bass would sound okay...but that wasn't good enough for me. I shipped them back.

Aug 14, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #29 of 55
Equalization is needed with most sources.

Foamies help...a little.

A bass heavy amp will help the most if you do not choose to equalize.

A bass heavy source through bass heavy cables will also help a little.

The agregate total of a bassy amp, cables and source will give most acceptable (ie close to flat)bass. Still, the E4's will lack deep bass impact.

The good news is the midrange and treble are very clear and among the best, close to the level of the more expensive IEMS.

What bass that is there is integrated into the sound field without the discontinuity of other phones.

Aug 14, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #30 of 55
Wow, I never had to go through any of that to get great bass from my E4Gs.

Perhaps we all just hear bass differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back