Shure E4C --> Etymotic HF3?
Oct 27, 2011 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sleepyx637

New Head-Fier
Hi all, 

It's been years since I've visited this forum.  The last time was when I was looking for my first set of IEMs.  I settled on the Shure E4C's and never looked back...until now.  I'm switching from blackberry to the iphone 4s, and want to get a new set of IEMs for the iphone 4s.  I use the IEMs for conference calls, and therefore need something with a microphone (also, I hate the white cords on apple earphones).  After doing some research, I decided to get the ety hf3's and I think I got a pretty decent deal on them ($140 out the door from best buy).  

After trying them out for a couple hours and rubbing my ear raw from switching between the e4c and hf3 to compare, I have to say that I'm not quite satisfied with the hf3. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad, but seem to be missing something.  I'm a complete greenhorn at this, but it seems that the sound from the e4c is richer and fuller.  Although the hf3's sound very 'precise', they seem to lack the life of the e4c.  (I'm wondering if it's the tight bass, but then again, the e4c is not exactly a bass monster).  Do you think the hf3 will get better after a burn-in, or should I not even bother?  I love the e4cs -- any suggestions for IEMs that would meet my requirements (black, remote, mic), are within approximately the same price range, and (this is where I need your help) would have the 'life' of the e4c or sound even better?

Thanks everyone!

Oct 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 8
I've had both and prefered the E4 for the reasons you say.  HF3 will not burn in or change.  It is pretty much what it is but still a very decent sounding IEM for the price.  I am not familar with the microphone IEM models but I would suggest giving the HF3's a week of listening before ditching them.  It is very common for your ears to get use to the lesser amount of bass.  Just listen to those, nothing else.

Perhaps someone else can advise on in-line mic model IEM alternatives.

TF10 Pro would blow you away soundwise but they are big and many have fit/comfort problems.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 8
I think HF3 is not an upgrade over E4c and they both sound quite on same level. The Other IEMs like TF10Pro are very good upgrade over E4c and in same price range like MTP Copper with remote or Gold are pretty good IEMs soundwise.

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 8
The Shure SCL4/E4C is the first "real" in-ear monitor that I owned. I recommend the EarSonics SM3 as an upgrade--and a change in sound signature that I think will be refreshing.

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 8
thanks for all the comments everyone.  i've been tempted by all the glowing reviews of the earsonics sm3, except it doesnt have an inline mic.  i think i'm going to give the hf3 a week, and then take advantage of best buy's return policy if i still dont like them.  i've been listening to them quite a bit and they sound fine, but i never got the "wow" moment that i did with the shures. 

i suppose that, at the end of the day, i can just use the white apple earphones for conference calls and shures for music (or...put the hf3 money towards a pair of sm3's 
etysmile.gif
 ).  otherwise, i'll just wait until the next best IEM with inline mic comes out (or wait until someone suggests something comparable to the e4cs). 

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 8
I used the E4C for a year or so until I upgraded to the e500. I used them for a couple of days a couple months back. They were good, but I like the UE700s better. I tested the HF3 at an airport kiosk and didn't like them since they sounded a bit closed in, with no air. Granted, a quick listen at a kiosk is not a great venue, but it does give me a starting point. I compared the HF3s to the SE215s at the same time and bought the SE215s at my next stopover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back