Shure E3C vs 1964 Ears
Apr 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

apenney

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using a pair of Shure E3C's which I've had for years via a total bithead amp. While I absolutely love these I keep eyeballing ... upgrades... and I like the look (and cost) of the 1964-T triples (http://www.1964ears.com/products_triples.html). My ears are weirdly shaped or something as the only thing I've found comfortable are the tri-flange sleeves on my e3c's and I was wondering if anyone has used both sets of headphones and has any opinions on if this would be a worthwhile thing to splurge on?

The biggest reason to upgrade is obviously the molding that I'd have done but I would also assume I'd get slightly better sound out of them too.

(Really what I'm looking for here is validation that I should spend this money then try to convince my wife it was a good thing)

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 4
You should definitely give this a shot. Though I have not tried the 1964 Ears and cannot vouch for them, I have tried the E3 and E4 (I still currently own these). In addition, I have a pair of custom molded Triple Fi's, which are 3 driver balanced armatures just like the 1964 Triple. Basically, I have been using the Triple Fi's for a year now and recently due to a problem, I was without them for about 3 weeks. During this time I pulled the E4's out again and I was really disappointed. These things used to be my pride and joy and after the Triple Fi's, their faults were glaringly obvious - no bass, the clarity and soundstage were just not there. Basically, what I'm trying to say by telling you this long winded story is, Do IT! The 1964 Triples have been getting good reviews and after listening to a Triple Driver implementation, I'm not sure how I'm going to get any IEM's in the future that have less than 3 balanced armatures

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 4
That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear, that there would be a big difference! I assume there must be a fairly big difference in comfort too?

I'm printing out the audiologist instructions now and I'll try to find a local place (Cambridge, MA) to get this done sharpish so I can make an order!

Edit: This is harder than I thought, they are all located in awkward locations for me.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Huge difference in comfort as well for my ears at least, size of ear plays a role here. Regarding audiologist, well you gotta do what you gotta do. Also, make sure you tell the audiologist to use a bite block. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back