Shure e3 gone quiet in one ear
Aug 8, 2007 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Shure e3 earbuds for use with my Ipod. They're several years old and I must say I haven't used them for about 6 months. I've got them out to take on summer hols with me and unfortunately the left earpiece has gone quiet. seemingly across the whole frequency spectrum. There's no crackling so it doesn't seem like a loose connection. I've ensured the flanges are absolutely clean, and as far as I can tell the "canals/tubes" on the ear pieces themselves are clean too.

I guess one possibility is that some wax could have got into the tube itself and gone hard (yeuk, sorry, hope you're not eating...) but there's nothing visible. Is there any kind of solution I can immerse it in just to be sure? Failing that, any ideas what might be the problem?

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 12
This is usually the case when it comes to wax and IEMs. You won't be able to see anything since the canal is so small, but if it's suddenly gone quiet, you've got wax caught in there, most likely. Use the nozzle cleaning tool if you've got it lying around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 12
I had the same problem with a set that were about 3 years old. 70 bucks repair fee and they sent me a brand new pair. Don't know if it was wax in the filter or a dead driver, but fresh set and I'm good to go.

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 12
I don't know if I buy earwax as the problem, because I'm also having problems with just the left earphone of my E3c's. The sound isn't completely dead, just greatly reduced. If I shift the balance on my laptop so it's nearly all the way to the left and turn up the volume, things sound OK. I might be able to live with this, except I can't adjust the balance on my iPod, which is where I use these headphones the most. I've been very happy with my Shure earbuds, but this is the second pair that I've had break, and this time I'm out of the warranty period. The first time, one of the flanges just snapped off. If this was my first problem, I might consider paying the repair fee, but after two problems, I think I may have to investigate another brand for my replacement.

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, perhaps it was wax after all. Either that or something else related to the tiny green wax filter (which isn't really visible when you look down the narrow opening). I was finally able to restore the sound in the left ear after reading this post: Shure E3c Tips.. - Page 3 - Mac Forums

I also was unable to see any obstruction when looking down the canal of the earbud, but when I scraped up with the end of a paper clip, the tiny green filter came out, restoring the sound to its normal level. Now I just have to figure out how to replace the filter to prevent wax from getting where it shouldn't. I don't know if removing the filter was wise if it can't be easily replaced (will try when I get home, supposedly extra filters are provided).

To summarize: if volume is significantly reduced in one ear and ordinary cleaning doesn't help, the problem may be caused by the tiny filter becoming damaged or dislodged.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frustr8d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, perhaps it was wax after all. Either that or something else related to the tiny green wax filter (which isn't really visible when you look down the narrow opening). I was finally able to restore the sound in the left ear after reading this post: Shure E3c Tips.. - Page 3 - Mac Forums

I also was unable to see any obstruction when looking down the canal of the earbud, but when I scraped up with the end of a paper clip, the tiny green filter came out, restoring the sound to its normal level. Now I just have to figure out how to replace the filter to prevent wax from getting where it shouldn't. I don't know if removing the filter was wise if it can't be easily replaced (will try when I get home, supposedly extra filters are provided).

To summarize: if volume is significantly reduced in one ear and ordinary cleaning doesn't help, the problem may be caused by the tiny filter becoming damaged or dislodged.

Hello - I was having the exact same problem with my Shure SE310s, so before sending them in for an 80 dollar repair, I decided to try this method, and whadya know, it worked perfectly! (Albeit, once I removed the wax filter from the quiet right channel, it was much louder than the left and I had to pull the left one out to get them to sound the same). Anyways, I was wondering: did you find a way to replace the little green filter? Thanks!

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 12
I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I have a favor to ask.

I had the same issue with wax getting into the green filter and making it quiet, and so I removed the filter. Obviously it was there for a reason so I'd like to replace it, but it seems ridiculous to spend $25 to replace a small green filter (I'm a poor college student). Does anyone know where I can find this cheaper? Or have an extra one laying around that I could purchase?

Thanks

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I apologize for reviving an old thread, but I have a favor to ask.

I had the same issue with wax getting into the green filter and making it quiet, and so I removed the filter. Obviously it was there for a reason so I'd like to replace it, but it seems ridiculous to spend $25 to replace a small green filter (I'm a poor college student). Does anyone know where I can find this cheaper? Or have an extra one laying around that I could purchase?

Thanks

I might have one laying around, happy to send it off if you cover the cost of mailing it from Aus.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 12
Thank god I found this thread before I sent my E3's out for repair.

I followed the advice of taking out the filter out (I used a staple).  Like all other posters, the earphone immediately came back to life.

What I ended up doing, and this is addressing jshaker's question, was putting the filter BACK into earphone, beacuse like him/her, I realize that Shure put that filter in there for a reason.  With the filter back into the unit, again, it sounded plugged.  Took the filter back out and again replaced it, and this time, the sound is coming through with absolutely no problem.

My guess is that while cleaning the unit with the cleaning tool, we all must have shifted the filter into an "undesirable" spot, thereby blocking the sound.

Thanks to Frust8ted and all the other posters who tried this!!

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 12

This is usually the case when it comes to wax and IEMs. You won't be able to see anything since the canal is so small, but if it's suddenly gone quiet, you've got wax caught in there, most likely. Use the nozzle cleaning tool if you've got it lying around. 
smily_headphones1.gif

You sir are a complete lifesaver. After buying creative in-ears yesterday my right ear went to like 10% volume of the left in the middle of a game. After using a pippette to suck out some stuff it worked again :D. <333333333333333333333

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Guys

I know this thread started a long time ago but I am one happy camper.  I read your comments and decided to try and fix my SE530s which were quiet in the right ear...... success! I fixed them.

I had left mine in my car on a very hot day 36C. Suddenly they had gone quiet. 

The trick, I think, is that the diffuser, the little white thing you can see when you look down the inside of the tube is there to stop the ear wax going into the unit. The ear wax must have melted into it.  The trick is to use a very small screwdriver like you would use for spectacles, I used a 1.4mm Stanley.  The diffuser is housed at the bottom of a small metal sleeve.  Dont push down on the white part but put the screwdriver into the metal tube, push to the side and drag it up and out.  If it does not want to come heat the unit with a hairdryer then try again.  Take the tube and diffuser unit and put it into a cup with near boiling water and shake it about for a few minutes.  Dry it off insert it back in, dont push down on the inside white part but the top end of the metal tube and dont push too hard. Shazam, sorted headphones and back to the best sound going.

Hope this works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back