SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
Jan 7, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #571 of 590
Hello,

I recently got shure se846 gen 2 and want to buy a bt adaptor for the same.

How good is the fiio utws5, its available for half the price of shure tw2 adapter.

Can both these be used individually for music and calls?

Considering tw2 came in 2021, is tw3 coming out anytime soon?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #572 of 590
Hello,

I recently got shure se846 gen 2 and want to buy a bt adaptor for the same.

How good is the fiio utws5, its available for half the price of shure tws2 adapter.

Can both these be used individually for music and calls?

Considering tws2 came in 2021, is tws3 coming out anytime soon?
No word on the next gen Shure TWS adapter, but I use the TW2 gen 2 with my SE846 and they rock. I very much prefer them over the UTWS5. Too many bugs with those. I use my TW2 gen 2 for WFH calls all the time. Love them.

Jan 7, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #574 of 590
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #576 of 590
Hi. If anyone can answer. Am I changing ANYTHING other then volume gain if i choose the 215 rather than 846 in the shure play app to power my se846? Im trying to answer if the sound is degraded in anyway. Because with even at max volume its not enough most times especially working out for my 846’s. If i choose 215 in app it fixes this issue completely. Thank you in advance.

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #577 of 590
Hi. If anyone can answer. Am I changing ANYTHING other then volume gain if i choose the 215 rather than 846 in the shure play app to power my se846? Im trying to answer if the sound is degraded in anyway. Because with even at max volume its not enough most times especially working out for my 846’s. If i choose 215 in app it fixes this issue completely. Thank you in advance.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...the-true-wireless-thread.928960/post-17054743

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #579 of 590
Thank you. Kellerkind. Im thinking at this point its not. This makes this an endgame set, for now.
I've only got the TW1 but that was my impression too -- they want to preserve the tuning of the earphone, so the selection just changes the max volume and how much difference each volume step makes, so as not to damage your hearing if you connect an SE846 and then accidentally press and hold volume up in your pocket.

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #580 of 590
There was this post a while back in another thread

Heard back from Shure support on this:

The only difference between model settings in the Play app is the output level of the TW2 amplifiers, which are calibrated according to the sensitivity of Shure earphone models so the sound levels don't exceed 100 dB SPL. I would not expect this to change anything about the audio quality, tonally or otherwise, but I'll see if any colleagues here who have the TW2 adapters can further evaluate that.

So if we're just looking at the level of the amplifiers, then I assume we'll want to find the model that is closest to the one being used in terms of sensitivity in dB SPL/MW and in impedance. For reference for anyone else using the Shure TW2, I've gathered that information about all the available model selections in the ShurePlus Play app. All figures at 1 KHz:

SE215 - 107 dB SPL/MW; 17 Ω
SE315 - 116 dB SPL/MW; 27 Ω
SE425 - 109 dB SPL/MW; 22 Ω
SE535 - 119 dB SPL/MW; 36 Ω
SE846 - 114 dB SPL/MW; 9 Ω
Aonic 3 - 108 dB SPL/MW; 26 Ω
Aonic 4 - 106 dB SPL/MW; 7 Ω
Aonic 5 - 119 dB SPL/MW; 36 Ω

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #581 of 590
There was this post a while back in another thread

Heard back from Shure support on this:

The only difference between model settings in the Play app is the output level of the TW2 amplifiers, which are calibrated according to the sensitivity of Shure earphone models so the sound levels don't exceed 100 dB SPL. I would not expect this to change anything about the audio quality, tonally or otherwise, but I'll see if any colleagues here who have the TW2 adapters can further evaluate that.

So if we're just looking at the level of the amplifiers, then I assume we'll want to find the model that is closest to the one being used in terms of sensitivity in dB SPL/MW and in impedance. For reference for anyone else using the Shure TW2, I've gathered that information about all the available model selections in the ShurePlus Play app. All figures at 1 KHz:

SE215 - 107 dB SPL/MW; 17 Ω
SE315 - 116 dB SPL/MW; 27 Ω
SE425 - 109 dB SPL/MW; 22 Ω
SE535 - 119 dB SPL/MW; 36 Ω
SE846 - 114 dB SPL/MW; 9 Ω
Aonic 3 - 108 dB SPL/MW; 26 Ω
Aonic 4 - 106 dB SPL/MW; 7 Ω
Aonic 5 - 119 dB SPL/MW; 36 Ω
just get the TW2, loving the convenient so far and feel more comfortable than fiio utws5 as well.

Also, does all the charging case label as RMCE-TW1 instead of RMCE-TW2?

Unable to pair 2 devices simultaneously is a major disadvantage though

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #583 of 590
just get the TW2, loving the convenient so far and feel more comfortable than fiio utws5 as well.

Also, does all the charging case label as RMCE-TW1 instead of RMCE-TW2?

Unable to pair 2 devices simultaneously is a major disadvantage though
The two cases were said to be identical, though this excerpt from the Shure FAQ sounds a bit different:

Why does the TW2 case have a sticker that says “RMCE-TW1”? Does this mean I have an older generation?

The second-generation versions of the Shure AONIC 215 True Wireless Sound Isolating Earphones (SE215-TW2) and True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter (RMCE-TW2) share the same regulatory name with their predecessors (RMCE-TW1). We are required to include the regulatory name on products, so you might see “RMCE-TW1” text included in certain areas of labelling on the new Gen 2 TW2 products.

You can quickly determine which generation you have by looking at the date code printed on the interior of the adapters - located near the “L” and ”R” of the control button, just under the small Shure logo. The second-generation versions (TW2) include an underline on this date code, while the first generation (TW1) versions do not. Additionally, you can confirm the generation by connecting your product to the ShurePlus PLAY app (available for free in the Google Play and Apple app stores). We realize this can be confusing and appreciate your understanding of this regulatory requirement.

Sep 9, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #584 of 590
I used to have tw2/final b3 combination but I lost my left adapter/IEM last week. Try to get a replacement now, I heard that fiio fh5s is nice, any suggestion is welcomed.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #585 of 590
Hello everyone I just bought the TW2 that comes with earbuds I think they are Se215 or aonic 215. Is it safe to use this adapter with other IEM’s? Like the Tin HiFi 3, is the only one I’ve got with that connector. Or which chap, below $100 you recommend for this adapter Tw2? I will use it mainly at the gym.

Thanks in advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back