Shure AONIC 50 -
Feb 24, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #1,216 of 1,309
Feb 27, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,217 of 1,309
New update available. 0.7.5

”Bug fixes,” but nothing else different as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,218 of 1,309
The AONIC 40 is supposed to have better noise-cancelling, from doing it in the digital and not analog domain. Too bad a firmware update can't change that for the 50.

Apr 19, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #1,219 of 1,309
How do I get the update. Need to do that so I may sell them. Thanks

Apr 20, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #1,221 of 1,309
Use the Shure app.
Thanks. I’m hospital and out of it this week. I should have thought about that. For some reason it never alerts me when there are updates. I rarely use these anymore as I’m using mostly Empire Ear Odins and a cable connection. The Bluetooth isn’t seem less for me for some reason. Too many small glitches and I get frustrated. When going BT, I’m just using AirPod Pros as they work seamlessly and I don’t care about the sound as much when out and about. I have a 100k plus home system that I use when I want to really listen critically. When I’m bed I have my AK player and Odins so no need for BT. I will say that sound wise and comfort these have been outstanding and better than the other top BT cans I’ve used. That’s why I’m selling once I get out of the hospital and home. Nothing against them at all. Highly recommend. I wanted to make sure no one takes my comments the wrong way. Thanks.

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #1,222 of 1,309
(Newbie alert)

Hi all, I bought the Shure Aonic 50s a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying them - my previous headphones were all old analogue over ears. My thanks to all the contributors in this thread - it helped to convince me that these were worth buying!

I didn't see anyone previously share the exact settings for 'flattening' the onboard Shure EQ (when using AptX HD) - so will share my novice attempt. This is based on the measurements from headphonetestlab that @MayaTlab linked to a few pages back. My settings might not be perfect, but sound better to my ears. Sharing in case others find it helpful to start with - and then tweak from there. (Band 3 is a wide cut to try and tame 2 peaks that are in close proximity - if the EQ had more bands I'd have done this with 2 narrow cuts.)

Band 1: Low shelf @ 40 Hz, gain 1.0 dB, bandwidth 0.8 oct
Band 2: 135 Hz, gain 1.0 dB, bandwidth 1.2 oct
Band 3: 3500 Hz, gain -2.0 dB, bandwidth 1.0 oct
Band 4: high shelf @ 16000 Hz, gain 3.0 dB, bandwidth 1.6 oct

I'd be interested to hear what settings others use...
Thanks
Phil

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #1,223 of 1,309
I have not played with EQ.. never used it for music listening but more for Teams Meeting...Will give it a go and let you know how it went :)

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,224 of 1,309
(Newbie alert)

Hi all, I bought the Shure Aonic 50s a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying them - my previous headphones were all old analogue over ears. My thanks to all the contributors in this thread - it helped to convince me that these were worth buying!

I didn't see anyone previously share the exact settings for 'flattening' the onboard Shure EQ (when using AptX HD) - so will share my novice attempt. This is based on the measurements from headphonetestlab that @MayaTlab linked to a few pages back. My settings might not be perfect, but sound better to my ears. Sharing in case others find it helpful to start with - and then tweak from there. (Band 3 is a wide cut to try and tame 2 peaks that are in close proximity - if the EQ had more bands I'd have done this with 2 narrow cuts.)

I'd be interested to hear what settings others use...
Thanks
Phil
I’ll give it a try, thanks 👍

Jun 18, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,225 of 1,309
Have you tried Oratory1990 settings? https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

His settings are based on measurement. And then customize specific bands for bass, warmth, airiness, etc. I have tried his settings for other headphones and worked well. I do not use EQ on AONIC 50. With consumer grade sound, I'm not sure if EQ make much difference.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #1,227 of 1,309
Have you tried Oratory1990 settings? https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

His settings are based on measurement. And then customize specific bands for bass, warmth, airiness, etc. I have tried his settings for other headphones and worked well. I do not use EQ on AONIC 50. With consumer grade sound, I'm not sure if EQ make much difference.
How would you apply these with the 4 band EQ of the Aonic?
I reckon it depends on the headphones. The Sony in ears are much better if you EQ them.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #1,228 of 1,309
Hey all need advice. I've been loving these headphones but the headband separated recently. I want to send them in but Shure won't tell me whether or not they'll cover it under warranty, I mistakenly purchased them on Amazon, but from a third-party seller. They were new, 100% legit, etc. But I'm worried that if I spend $20 + time to send them in Shure is going to come back and ask for $180 just to replace the headband. Anyone with experience have input? Will Shure honor the warranty? And anyone else have this issue?

1659807905643.png

Aug 6, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #1,229 of 1,309
If they are under warranty I understand they should fix them, from the picture I can't see any signs that you have mistreated them, so I don't think you should have any problems.

I have the same brown version as you do almost from release, and haven't had any problems yet, but I wouldn't worry a lot about it even if the warranty has expired, because the vinyl seems to be intact, and with some care it should be possible to glue them back together pretty easily.

I'm not from the USA so I don't know which brand of glue to recommend (here in Spain I would use Supergen classic), but generally it should be strong and flexible (not superglue), and to avoid stains I would apply a thin layer on both parts, and let it dry for a few minutes before putting them back together (that depends on the characteristics of the glue used, too little and it will still be too liquid, and too much and the parts won't stick).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #1,230 of 1,309
If they are under warranty I understand they should fix them, from the picture I can't see any signs that you have mistreated them, so I don't think you should have any problems.

I have the same brown version as you do almost from release, and haven't had any problems yet, but I wouldn't worry a lot about it even if the warranty has expired, because the vinyl seems to be intact, and with some care it should be possible to glue them back together pretty easily.

I'm not from the USA so I don't know which brand of glue to recommend (here in Spain I would use Supergen classic), but generally it should be strong and flexible (not superglue), and to avoid stains I would apply a thin layer on both parts, and let it dry for a few minutes before putting them back together (that depends on the characteristics of the glue used, too little and it will still be too liquid, and too much and the parts won't stick).
They are within the warranty period but do they honor warranty if it's from a third-party seller and not directly from amazon.com is my concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back