Shure AONIC 50 -
Oct 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #586 of 1,309
Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #587 of 1,309
I have an iPad Pro 12.9 (brand new). The audio works fine there, too, but I could not test the DAC's capabilities because I don't have software on the iPad that plays high resolution audio files, only Qobuz, and my subscription is only for CD-quality streaming. And Qobuz doesn't tell you what the app is actually sending to the headphones. My iPhone XS has a lightning connector, not USB-C, and I don't have a dongle that converts the lightning output to a useable form (a lightning to USB-C cable didn't give me any audible output).

On my MacBook Pro, Audirvana shows the capabilities of the connected DAC, as shown in the screen shot I posted earlier.

To find the USB-C 3.x generation cables, search Amazon for high-speed USB-C cables. I ordered one that does 5 Gbps (UGreen) and one that does 10 Gbps (NIMASO). The higher speed cables are intended for video connections, but I figured the price differential wasn't great and this way the cables are likely to be more useable for the future.

These cables all seem to come in 1m or 2m lengths. The short cables are just too short to comfortably and safely use with a laptop or iPad. Six feet is probably a bit too long, but at least they can be coiled.

When I get the new cables I'll be checking out the Morphit AU equalization, too, via the MacBook Pro.

You guys really ought to try the AONIC 50 via the USB-C connection, and play CD-quality music and then some high-resolution files. Anyway, here are the Morphit EQ settings, which are implemented on a Mac via an AU plugin. Morphit has many headphones listed in the plugin's library.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 2.03.47 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #588 of 1,309
If your hands are wet or you're using gloves, touch interface isn't very good! :)
But there's no better option available for phones and other mobile devices -- so this is the opposite case, touch being the best option. Computers are mostly out of the question with water around anyway.

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #589 of 1,309
Computers are mostly out of the question with water around anyway.

I'm thinking about washing your hands quickly and not dry completely (not thinking about raining outside) and the mobile phone / tablet / touch interface laptop not responding, but keyboard and mouse are perfect! This happening to me many times in real life, specially when cooking and needing using my iPhone or laptop quickly. (the keyboard and/or mouse, but specially keyboard shortcuts are great!)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #590 of 1,309
I'm thinking about washing your hands quickly and not dry completely (not thinking about raining outside) and the mobile phone / tablet / touch interface laptop not responding, but keyboard and mouse are perfect! This happening to me many times in real life, specially when cooking and needing using my iPhone or laptop quickly. (the keyboard and/or mouse, but specially keyboard shortcuts are great!)

We're getting quite far away from the topic of discussion already, but can you replace the touchscreen on a phone/ipad with a keyboard/mouse interface?
On the other hand I'd rather touch a glas touchscreen while cooking than a keyboard... the touchscreen is much easier to clean. Point is, for a phone thats simply the better and more versatile interface (which means a non-smart phone does not need a touchscreen either, there the keyboard will work just fine). Relates directly to the complexity of the interactions -- which are rather limited on a headphone...

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #591 of 1,309
Any headphone that connects via Bluetooth or USB-C has an internal DAC, because those are digital connections. So the audio arrives in digital format at the headphones and has to be converted into analog.

The sound is highly subjective I would say. I love the A50.
The Devas are open back I think, so not really good for using them outside or in the office.
Thank you very much. Have you had chance to compare A50 vs Mobius? Mobius is close back. I could not find Mobius in local store. I only can buy it online.

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #592 of 1,309
I am not sure what you mean by a phone supporting USB high Res... If I understand it correctly, and I may be mistaken, the question is what resolution is supported by the DAC in this headphone that does the decoding. Someone here who has the Aonic 50 and has tried to connect it up to their phone via the USB-C may be able to tell us.
I have a lot of 24/128 and 32/192 PCM, as well as a lot of DSD64 and DSD128 audio files. Can A50 internal DAC decode them if I connect A50 to my phone by USB instead of Bluetooth? Bluetooth (aptX HD) can only transmit 24-bit/48kHz.

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #594 of 1,309
Yeah, both sound normal. I think I’ve only noticed the soft click when initially starting playback (pretty sure that’s the amp turning on), but I’ve noticed something similar on most other wireless headphones I’ve tried. Same goes for aggressive ANC when it encounters very loud sounds—I used to have to turn max ANC off on my Sony XM3s when riding the shuttle to work in the morning because of how bad it’d get. Seems to be a limitation of most ANC systems, at least currently.

Thanks, that'll put my mind at ease :)

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #595 of 1,309
Second, when in max ANC mode the drivers often 'bottom out' when hit with a sharp sound from the environment. Example of such sounds would be my car driving over cracks in the pavement. When the tyre hit the crack I get an unpleasant sound in the headphones when the driver hits its endpoint (I'm guessing this is the cause of the sound). I have heard this effect a few other times as well, but since I discovered this effect I have rarely used the max ANC mode. When ANC is in normal mode I don't get this effect.

Are both of these 'problems' normal for ANC headphones?

As @ryanmatic already said, thats not uncommon for ANC headphones unfortunately. My worst experience in that regard was with the initial Sony 1000X (or whatever they were called exactly at that time), which reacted to both my steps and the closing of the doors on the underground with slapping my ears. With the Sennheiser PXC550 I cannot remember any such problem, the Beats Studio 3 did that seldom (also those doors triggering the effect). I did not use the underground in the last few months, and only use the Aonic 50 at home and without ANC, so I can't tell if they do that as well. It seems reasonable that it only occurs in max mode though.

Actually this is one reason I quite dislike ANC outside of airplanes and normally just use my custom in-ears or the Shure SE846, which both offer enough passive isolation.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #596 of 1,309
I have a lot of 24/128 and 32/192 PCM, as well as a lot of DSD64 and DSD128 audio files. Can A50 internal DAC decode them if I connect A50 to my phone by USB instead of Bluetooth? Bluetooth (aptX HD) can only transmit 24-bit/48kHz.
Look at my post with the screen capture showing the range of PCM the A50 can decode. It cannot decode DSD files.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #597 of 1,309
Hi guys, currently torn between the Aonic 50, Audeze Mobius and less so the Sony WH-1000XM4. ANC is NOT highly in my priorities as I'll be using them at office and home for 99.9% of the time. What I am mostly after is audio fidelity and connectivity (protocols with low latency and high resolution that will make them as future-proof as possible), and I prefer full size over-ears that will completely cover the ear and seal 100% every time (i'm afraid the XM4 are not as big?)
How would you rate those three in the fidelity aspect? And more importantly how big of a gap is there between them? There seems to be quite some contraddicting reviews out there about the Sony's: WhatHiFi and Soundguys.com is crazy about them, giving them an even higher "SOUND" rating than the Aonic 50 which I find hard to believe, but some reviewers even call the XM4's poor. Then there's Mobius with its planar magnetic tech but in my eyes they look like 50EUR gaming headset although the praise they are getting makes me assume they are very close to the A50 in sound quality (if not better).
None of them is realistically available for testing where I live so I am trying to make sense of all this information out there before I splash ~400EUR for a headset for the first time ever in my life (currently using AKG K550)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #598 of 1,309
Hi guys, currently torn between the Aonic 50, Audeze Mobius and less so the Sony WH-1000XM4. ANC is NOT highly in my priorities as I'll be using them at office and home for 99.9% of the time. What I am mostly after is audio fidelity and connectivity (protocols with low latency and high resolution that will make them as future-proof as possible), and I prefer full size over-ears that will completely cover the ear and seal 100% every time (i'm afraid the XM4 are not as big?)
How would you rate those three in the fidelity aspect? And more importantly how big of a gap is there between them? There seems to be quite some contraddicting reviews out there about the Sony's: WhatHiFi and Soundguys.com is crazy about them, giving them an even higher "SOUND" rating than the Aonic 50 which I find hard to believe, but some reviewers even call the XM4's poor. Then there's Mobius with its planar magnetic tech but in my eyes they look like 50EUR gaming headset although the praise they are getting makes me assume they are very close to the A50 in sound quality (if not better).
None of them is realistically available for testing where I live so I am trying to make sense of all this information out there before I splash ~400EUR for a headset for the first time ever in my life (currently using AKG K550)
I listened to the XM3 and their sound sucks. If Sony didn't bring up some magic with the XM4 they are still far behind the A50.
The reason why some people praise the XM3/4 is the insane ANC and total silence they can achieve from the surrounding while listening to music. At least that's my guess. The A50 low frequency ANC is still quite good and their sound is superb. One of the best Wireless/ANC cans I tried. They also sound really good when wired and turned off, which noone would ever say of the XM3 (and probably 4). For me it is nice to see that the guys at Shure did actually develop a nice pair of headphones instead of stuffing in some crap and doing electronic corrections until it sound half muffled with boosted bass to overcome the crappy music most people listen to nowadays.

EDIT: No idea about the Mobius though. I did also hear good things, but as you alrdy mentioned. They look like some crappy Gaming headphones. :)

EDIT 2: The A50 earpads are big enough for most ears I would say. They're not too deep, so my ears touch the inside, but it has some padding as well, so it's no problem at all.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #599 of 1,309
If you look for frequency response curves, you'll see that the Sony headphones (both the current and previous version) have a very prominent and wide range bass boost. The high-frequency ANC is great, but the Shure is supposed to be better for cutting out low frequency noise. Sony also has reduced the number of Bluetooth codecs the new headphones can decode: only SBC, AAC, & LDAC. No AptX variations. Take the positive reviews of the Sony with a grain of salt - most are not comparing the sound quality to audiophile headphones and are focused on ANC and mass-market appeal. As you can see from this thread, the Shure and the new B&O (at twice the price) are probably the best sounding Bluetooth headphones right now, if quality music playback is your primary goal.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #600 of 1,309
Agreed with everything said above. The Sonys are not worth pursuing if balanced sound quality is your goal. Haven't tried the Mobius though it is definitely a home-only headphone while the Aonic 50 can do double-duty (quite well) between home and portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back