Shure AONIC 50 -
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #451 of 1,309
Not yet. I did write to Shure and suggest they offer real leather pads and velour or alcantara pads. So it's worth writing to them and asking.
Thanks, I don't own them but am strongly considering. Another alternative would be to see if a company like Dekoni has compatible pads.

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #452 of 1,309
Thanks, I don't own them but am strongly considering. Another alternative would be to see if a company like Dekoni has compatible pads.

The aftermarket pad makers don't have anything (yet). If these are popular, then maybe we'll see some alternatives.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #453 of 1,309
Right, well I was all excited by these - awesome codec support, meant to sound great etc.

But I just got some Sennheiser M3 (that I will have to return I think)

For the M3 Sennheiser increased their earcup size but it's still too small for me - the tips of my ears and my lobes catch.
Tips especially is annoying.

Being more breathable doesn't help much if there's no space around my ears.

But yeah, from videos it looks like the earcups of the M3 are a fair bit more spacious than the A50

So unless the A50 are deeper and longer internally (I have long pointy elf ears) they're totally a no go.

They cost substantially more at the moment anyway, as the PX7 and M3 have had decent price reductions.

And I think they look really bulky and a bit ugly actually. Really not keen on the arm design, with that angular termination.

I have the PX7 unopened, ready to try out. Apparently they're actually more spacious in the earcups. So hopefully they will fit well enough.

Just a shame about the lack of AptX LL support on the PX7 - as I don't know when Samsung will add AptX Adaptive support to the Note line - if they even do (Samsung don't support AptX HD!)

Ahh well.

Has anyone ever managed to put third party larger earcups on some headphones?

Replacing the pleather earcups with larger genuine leather ones without messing up the sound would be cool.

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #454 of 1,309
I've read through this thread and I'm somewhat intrigued by the Aonic 50 but I can't get a handle on what the clamping force is like. I have TMJ so clamping force ends up playing a major role in purchasing decisions. I have the Sony XM3's now which I've never had any comfort issues with but I've been looking for a step up in sound quality. I have the Sennheiser Momentum 3's here now and I've been pretty impressed. I admit, I like my bass, but the M3's are too much for me in that regard. I've been eq'ing the bass down about 3-6 db but otherwise I quite like the sound quality. The deal breaker for me though has been the clamp, it's just a bit too tight thus irritating my TMJ.

I have an average to smallish sized head. I would love to get some feedback from Aonic 50 owners on how tight they feel the clamping force is, especially in regards to some of the other headphones on the market.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #456 of 1,309
I've read through this thread and I'm somewhat intrigued by the Aonic 50 but I can't get a handle on what the clamping force is like. I have TMJ so clamping force ends up playing a major role in purchasing decisions. I have the Sony XM3's now which I've never had any comfort issues with but I've been looking for a step up in sound quality. I have the Sennheiser Momentum 3's here now and I've been pretty impressed. I admit, I like my bass, but the M3's are too much for me in that regard. I've been eq'ing the bass down about 3-6 db but otherwise I quite like the sound quality. The deal breaker for me though has been the clamp, it's just a bit too tight thus irritating my TMJ.

I have an average to smallish sized head. I would love to get some feedback from Aonic 50 owners on how tight they feel the clamping force is, especially in regards to some of the other headphones on the market.

I don't remembering the difference in clamping between sa50 and m3, but I have suggestion for you with m3. Because the construction is very solid (for me is better than sa50) you can trying stretching the headband (holding ear cups) carefully until is almost horizontal. I remember I watching video in youtube and the person stretching very fast 2-3 times like this and nothing happening (this person is always doing this test with expensive headphones for his reviews). This is usually good method for problems with clamping.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #457 of 1,309
I comparing the battery life of the sa50 and momentum 3 in this post. Big surprise.

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #458 of 1,309

I would say that the A50 have less clamping force. only by a small margin though. But the M3 have deeper ear cups.
Overall the claming force will be always on the higher side if you are coming from the XM3. Simply because the overall weight is bigger on the A50 and M3.

Aug 18, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #459 of 1,309
Where did you get them for 320€? I can only find them for around 390€.
This shop (TECHNIKdirekt) sells demo/returned devices at really good rates. I bought my A50 for 300€ there. Apart from the ripped tapes I couldn't see anything that would indicate my device as "already used" (this could be luck though). Sadly they only ship those demo/returned devices to Germany. But you get the standard "2 year seller warranty" (not sure if there is an english term for that) and the 2 year Shure manufacturer warranty (which makes the "seller warranty" redundant anyways).

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #460 of 1,309
The DN8PRO is a perfect fit for the unrotated Shure. The DN8PRO XL is too large. That one is a better fit for my Denon AH-D9200 for example. But indeed, the DN8PRO is meant for headphones that do not rotate and flatten. If you want a flat case like DALI's own IO case, then I was advised to wait until they release the flatter case...

I can confirm that the DN8PRO case fits these perfectly. On Amazon (USA) it is listed as the "Sennheiser" model. I posted a review noting that the Shure AONIC 50 fits.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #461 of 1,309
I can confirm that the DN8PRO case fits these perfectly. On Amazon (USA) it is listed as the "Sennheiser" model. I posted a review noting that the Shure AONIC 50 fits.

Same here. Thats the model I got.. Great fit..

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #465 of 1,309
I was at the shop testing the Aonic today.

I listened partially to the following songs.
Metal:
  • "Ghost Love Score" and "Procession" by Nightwish
  • "Northwest Passage" by Unleash the Archers
  • "Radix Malorum" by Gorgoroth
  • "Sons of Winter and Stars" Wintersun
  • "Babalon" by Messa
And some film music:
  • "This is Berk" from How to train your dragon
  • "Septimus" from Stardust

My first impressions are:

Sound
Nice sound, very clean overall.
The bass is there when it's needed and doesn't bleed into the mids.
I missed a bit the headbanging factor (which might be somewhere in the upper bass? Hard to describe.).
But only a bit, overall they were really great.

With "Northwest Passage" I noticed some sharp "s" sounds similar to my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro.
However I like the 770 quite well and use them every day at work, so I'm sure I will get used to the sound of the Aonic.
In general they might be similar to my Shure SRH 940 but a bit less polished.
The 940 is very precise but doesn't have sharp "s" s.
However I have to compare them in detail with my other headphones to say for sure how they sound.

Comfort and Quality
They are very comfortable.
I can relate to the comments about getting warm ears, however I always get warm ears with my PXC550 as well and rarely wear them during summer.
In the winter they will replace my cap :).
The inner diameter could be a bit bigger and is just enough for my ears which have a couple of piercings sticking stucking out of them.

Conclusion
Overall I liked the Aonics enough that I canceled my order for the Drop THX Pandas and bought a pair of Aonics.
They sound way better than my PXC550 on Bluetooth and the noise cancelling was a bit better but not by much.
The passive noise isolation however is much better.
Which means that they basically behave like normal closed headphones when it's off.
The PXC550 had this weird thing that they nearly amplified all the sounds around you when you turned it off (and no they don't have an environment mode :wink: )
This matters to me a lot because I want to be able to turn it off when it is windy.
In addition the Aonic doesn't have a touchpad, the PXC550 always paused itself when it was a bit cold outside or so.

Sadly, I just arrived at home and wanted to start using the Aonic and did so for ca. 10 Minutes when I noticed a rattling noise in the left earcup.
Something small must have come loss and was flying around inside the earcup.
I took of the cushion but wasn't able to see anything there so I had to send them back to the shop and should get a replacement unit soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back