Shure AONIC 50 -
Jul 7, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #226 of 1,309
Tbh, those are both valid points.
There is no reason not to save EQ settings on the headphones tho. If you like that feature, use it. Otherwise just don't use it and use your player.
Everyone can be satisfied like that.

EDIT: Optional saving on the headphoens basically works around the limitation of players which don't have an EQ.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #227 of 1,309
Fully agree. I spend 99.9% of my music listening inside my player app, not inside my headphones app (especially since next to a vast offline library I also have subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz. UAPP therefore is my default player).

Although I rarely need EQ (I mostly use bitperfect anyway) I would imagine that those using EQ to correct flaws in bad recordings would want to do so actively.. For me that would mean that I would want to have EQ settings available at my fingertips... So inside the player where I can access the EQ settings quickly and efficiently.. And UAPP does have extensive EQ capabilities (Parametric, Morphit etc)...

But indeed, everyone's entitled to their own preferences.. For me that would definitely mean EQ inside the place where I spend most of my time.. And that's the player, not the OS and not the Headphone app..

thays my preference too. I purchased a good player (AK SR25) and will use that EQ if I ever want to try EQ. Everyone wants something different I still have my balanced ZMF Ori’s for critics lisenimg at home.

Jul 7, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #228 of 1,309
Optional saving on the headphoens basically works around the limitation of players which don't have an EQ.

In fact, saving EQ settings on the headphones makes them persistent irrespective of player or source.. I can actually understand that to be somehow reassuring that picking up your headphones whenever you like, using them with whatever device you like all while them having the same sound siginature across the board..

But in my case for instance I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ that doesnt offer APTX-HD, only APTX. My FiiO M15 player has all HQ codecs, but only has Android 7.0. So my go-to player doesn't even have access to the ShurePlus Play app.

And in this case because of the different codecs, the Shure Aonic 50 already sound different on both .. It'll be difficult trying to figure out one overall EQ setting to match both devices.. In that case I'd rather have the player allow me to adjust the EQ settings, and not a headphone app that is not available on all devices..

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #230 of 1,309
While I never use EQ (I prefer to search out headphones with a signature that matches my taste already), I'd much prefer EQ settings to be stored within the headphone so that they sound the same with every source (and maybe different music players even).
Were I to use EQ, I can't imagine using a different setting when listening to Apple Music opposed to Qobuz or my own files... pls the latter are stored on an AK380SS, so I would have to set the EQ there -- which makes the point that a system-wide EQ in iOS setting would not help me either.

So yes, the Shure implementation is the weakest form to me... Had I the need for EQ, I'd definitely not use the Aonic 50. Glad its tuning is rather flat, but an EQ implementation on the headphone would be better than just within the application.

Bexerdynamic, JBL (recently acquired the Club One, surprisingly good) and many others do provide EQ on the headphone itself, set up with the help of a smartphone application.

Regarding glitches with notifications: I never noticed these, and thinking about it: I always have my iPhone muted. @JimmyK did you try this yet? Sorry if I may have overlooked you mentioning it.

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #231 of 1,309
In fact, saving EQ settings on the headphones makes them persistent irrespective of player or source.. I can actually understand that to be somehow reassuring that picking up your headphones whenever you like, using them with whatever device you like all while them having the same sound siginature across the board..

But in my case for instance I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ that doesnt offer APTX-HD, only APTX. My FiiO M15 player has all HQ codecs, but only has Android 7.0. So my go-to player doesn't even have access to the ShurePlus Play app.

And in this case because of the different codecs, the Shure Aonic 50 already sound different on both .. It'll be difficult trying to figure out one overall EQ setting to match both devices.. In that case I'd rather have the player allow me to adjust the EQ settings, and not a headphone app that is not available on all devices..

there are basically two camps here. If they offered a top notch parametric EQ like you can download on phones and many players offer, then it’s just another location you canEQ if you wish. The Regular EQ ruins the sound quality more than a professional one Most buy this can over the others for the sound. Form factor wise this isn’t the champ. Jmho.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #232 of 1,309
So yes, the Shure implementation is the weakest form to me... Had I the need for EQ, I'd definitely not use the Aonic 50. Glad its tuning is rather flat, but an EQ implementation on the headphone would be better than just within the application.

Yes. And, if other companies doing it (sony, b&o, sennheiser, etc), why not shure, specially when the eq of sa50 is very, very good? Yes, for many of the people here in head-fi eq isn't necessary frequently, but when is necessary, is always good the option of saving in the headphone.

I deciding long time ago expensive dap with hi-res isn't necessary for me after I testing and comparing the quality of the sound with my iPhone and two a&k players (ak240 & ak380). Apple music player for me is excellent, specially when I making big playlists very quickly with iTunes in my MacBook pro (mbp) and transferring to my iPhone is quickly and easy. This is nightmare with other players and/or in my mbp. Is pity apple isn't have good eq for the rare moments I needing using eq. But I insisting, my principal wish for sonic 50 firmware update is more volume steps.

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #233 of 1,309
^^
^
I had always bought headphones based on the most neutral sound I could get for the money that I had/what I needed them for.
I have seen the reviewers/commenters here stating that the Aoinc 50's "Don't do what I need them to" sound wise.
IMO, They shouldn't. Any headphone should be as flat as possible at that price point/ what you need them for.
You then EQ around that flat response. If you do not start with that falr base, any EQ is going to further alter the sound signature
of the music, taking you further away from what was recorded.I have not used the Shure app once in terms of altering the sound, always done through
PlayerPro Premium. Even when I do EQ, which is rare, I look to the app and/or Foobar to alter the sound, not my Shures.
IMO it is counter intuitive To look at, essentially, your speakers to alter your sound. That's the last thing you want.

Really good post.

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #234 of 1,309
Here are some random facts from Shure, answering my questions/comments:
  • The EQ topic, which we are discussing right now, is looked into at the moment at Shure and they're discussion possible options.
  • I think it was mentioned/assumed before, but shouldn't hurt to mention it again. The TRRS plug at the headphones does not work with the microphone while turned off and rather checks if it's turned off (for passive audio).
  • Asked about some light rain outdoor usage (since my comparison headphones, the DALI IO-6 feature some IP rating) and it's not recommended. environment mode should definitely turned off, cause rain would hit the mics. Same goes for ANC mode i assume.
  • The Shure's have some auto turn off features. No idle turn off though. Those modes are more some kind of emergency when not able to pair for a long time of the connected device turns off.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #235 of 1,309
LOVING them using the cable with my AK SR25. No eq and playing mostly Masters cuts. Really enjoying the sound more than I expected. I haven't even been using the ZMF Ori's in days as the home system is down for a rebuild of my Server/DAC which I CAN"T wait for. They will be building me a custom dual mono headphone amp inside it for me. I get to voice it so it's really a blast as they are always updating, lol. Will show up bad cans at any price point.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #237 of 1,309
Shure just confirmed, that the ANC/ENV switch is a hardware-switch. :)

what does that mean? It’s theslide on the top of the other ones. im sorry that I don’t understand what ursaying and how it impacts the cans. Thanks

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #238 of 1,309
what does that mean? It’s theslide on the top of the other ones. im sorry that I don’t understand what ursaying and how it impacts the cans. Thanks
Yes, its the slider which turns on/off ANC and ENV mode.
The question came up due to the problems the DALI IO headpones have. Those are using a soft-switch, which seems to be prone to malfunctioning.
Hard-switches should be way better if it comes to lifespan.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #239 of 1,309
Mine just arrived yesterday and they’ve only been off of my head a couple of times since then 😅 Here are some first impressions.

(For context, I consider myself to be a bit of a pocket audiophile in that I really love music and appreciate dynamic and engaging sound, but portability is also super important to me. Wireless sound quality has gotten so good as of late that I don’t really spend much time with wired headphones anymore, and I appreciate decent ANC as it completely elevates listening when on the go. Suffice to say on paper the Aonic 50 appeared to be about as close to my ideal headphones as possible.)
  • They sound really, really nice. They’re full, natural, and still quite engaging. The low end is plenty thick when it needs to be but as has been said before, these don’t inject bass on their own. I haven’t found myself wanting more low end thump.
  • Layering, separation, soundstage… it’s just delightful. Because of how balanced everything else, I find myself instinctively following specific instruments and details much more easily than with other wireless ANC headphones.
  • ANC is good and doesn’t hugely affect sound quality. I tested the Max setting earlier today at home with the window open and a leaf blower outside, and it made the din sound quite a bit quieter and more distant. That’s a sound range that’s beyond ANC’s typical target but nonetheless it worked well, and I didn’t notice any cabin pressure effect either.
  • These things are somewhat big and kind of heavy, but surprisingly comfortable when worn. The headband is one of the most comfortable I’ve ever experienced because of how plush and large it is. I also really like the size and feel of the earpads.
  • The build quality is pretty high—these feel fairly durable, probably in part due to their heft when held in-hand.
  • The case is so large and cumbersome it feels like a bit of a joke. I have a firm nylon case I picked up a while back that these mostly fit inside (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKQN2RX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00) that I’ll be using for now.
  • The tactile buttons feel nice and solid and the ANC switch (which I find myself taking off the headphones to adjust) is actually a nice confirmation that whatever mode I set it on is the mode it’ll stay in.
  • No issues with pairing whatsoever. Paired with my phone, tablet, watch, and computer in the span of about 2 minutes. Love the automatic multipoint connection to my phone and tablet.
  • The app is fine, and pretty clear. The media player can’t play parts of my library due to how Apple Music/iCloud Music Library work, but that’s not a huge deal to me. Maybe in some circumstances I’d want to EQ the sound but I haven’t experienced those yet. FWIW I do completely agree that being able to set an EQ to the headphones would be incredibly useful on iOS in particular, but again, it’s not something I’m missing right now.
And here are some quick comparisons to other wireless ANC headphones I’ve tried.
  • B&W PX7
    These have been my daily drivers for a while now; I enjoy their cinematic sound, fantastic ANC, and stellar build quality and design. That said, their frequency response is quite sculpted and frankly too bass heavy a lot of the time (and unexpectedly sibilant on some songs). I prefer how my ears just disappear into their vacuous ear cups, and I think their physical design is more impressive, but sonically the Shures cater much more to what I’m looking for. Additionally, it’s nice to be able to drive the Shures completely passively, which continues to be impossible with B&W ANC offerings.
  • Master & Dynamic MW65
    Tried these recently and returned them a few days later. They’re exquisitely built and their design walks a fine line between being modern and timeless, and I liked their sound quality as well. However fit was a bit issue for me; they felt much more like on-ear headphones than over-ear ones. As a result, ANC suffered and produced a weird pressure-fluxuating experience when walking. The soundstage on these was also fairly congested given how small the earcups are and how warm the tuning was. I don’t listen to music very loudly but even these were at 50 to 70% of my max device volume most of the time. Felt like a bizarre combination of concessions for what are (I think) the most expensive ANC headphones out there.
  • Sony XM3
    The king of ANC and comfort is also one of the most frustrating sound signatures to wrangle effectively. Using the Sony EQ I was able to get a tuning that I enjoyed but something about the drivers just presented instruments, layers, and details in a very congested way. To me, these do not compete musically with the PX7s and are absolutely miles behind the Shures.
Suffice to say, I think my search for Really Really Good Wireless Headphones™️ has finally come to an end :L3000: I hope Shure continues to support these headphones with meaningful app and firmware improvements, and that folks who demand more from wireless ANC headphones give them a try. To me, so far, they’re game changers.

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #240 of 1,309
Great set of thoughts. They will get even better once you go over 100 hours or so. I have been running them wired on the home systems headphone amp. For what they are, they are the cream for me, but I haven't heard the Dali's.

Question on that bag you posted. Do these fit? If so, is there any room for any of the cables? Thank. I was about to buy a $10 waterproof drawstring bag on Amazon for travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back