Shure AONIC 50 -
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #151 of 1,309
I own several variants of the DT770 (80ohm, 32ohm, 16ohm), of which the 80ohm has the most fun bass representation, while the others are more linear. I don't have them on hand since I'm not at home, so please don't expect much details. Overall I'd say that the DT770 follows a more U-shaped curve, with the A50 being more linear, move lively, more immediate, while the DT770 feels more distanced, but sounds wider. It has a peak somewhere around 7-8kHz that some find not to their taste.

The cups of the DT770 are wider, but I'd say they are not deeper. Yet the DT770 is a really comfortable headphone, the only downside being the 3m fixed cable (depends a bit on the variant, my 32ohm has a 1,2m cable). The DT770 has already shown that it works for a long time, with spare parts readily available. I hope Shure shows the same support for the A50, but given Shures rather slow approach to headphones (see SE846) I'd fully expect the A50 to be usable for years to come.

I just got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm. I like Shure Aonic 50 sound better than DT770. DT770 is different than Audio Technica ATH-A700; DT770 is maybe just a tad better than A700. I know wired headphones are not the same category or price as bluetooth wireless, but just what I have right now.

I need to figure out if DT770 is sufficient for me or keep looking. I really like A50 sound, but I don't need bluetooth and it is not so comfortable. Does anyone have a recommendation on closed, over-ear, wired, comfortable headphones with sound like Shure AONIC 50?

I don't have a lot of experience with many different headphones. So I'm still trying to find the sound I like. I think I have better idea now.
  • I prefer a flat response rather than U or V shaped. I don't like recessed mids and vocals.
  • I want to hear each instrument clearly.
  • I don't want extremely narrow soundstage or point source. I want reasonable soundstage. But I don't want wide soundstage at the expense of recessed mids (like U or V shaped).
Sound Quality:
  • A50: I like A50 sound. Vocals sound full. Has ok bass, good enough for me. Highs are good. Really balance and best of all around and works with all types of music.
  • DT770 Pro: It's ok. I guess for $150, it's probably a good value. Vocal is a bit recess and thin. In some music (e.g. John Legend, Alicia Keys, Lauren Daigle in You Say), vocals sound fine. But in other tracks (maybe where female has higher voice and due to recording, e.g. Ingrid Michaelson, Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs), the vocals sound recessed and thin. The highs are ok, but it just doesn't have that sparkle. From what I read, I was expecting good highs, but I find the highs lacking. Bass is strong. To me, this results in dark and dull sound.
Separate of instruments (not sure if this is considered SQ or sound stage): Example playing Take Five Jazz music.
  • A50: Very clear. I can hear each individual instrument clearly.
  • DT770 Pro: Various instruments just get lost and muddled together.
  • A700: Each individual instruments are clear. Some instruments stand out more than A50 (particularly highs like cymbals), but then others (maybe due to weak mids) are not as clear. A700 is better than DT770.
Sound Stage: DT770 has wider sound stage than A50. A50 is not bad, just not a wide. But I would take A50 sound quality and more in your face vocals over sound stage. A700 has the widest sound stage of these 3, but then it is extremely U or V-shaped so the singer sounds like from back of the room, way too recessed.

Overall for sound, I like A50 due to flat response and sound stage that is in the middle. A50 vocals are a bit in your face, so sound stage is reasonable but not wide.

Comfort:
  • A50: Ear pads are crowded and less comfortable; so my ears get uncomfortable. Note that I do wear glasses. It also gets hotter and sweatier. Advantage is less clamping force.
  • DT770 Pro: Ear pads are super comfortable, but there is more clamping force. So after 1-2 hours, my upper jaw and temple are slightly uncomfortable.
Overall, DT770 is more comfortable right from the start. And I suspect that A50 ear pads and feel will not change over time; whereas DT770 clamping force will likely reduce over time.

Edit: correct DT770 typo in name

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #152 of 1,309
I need to figure out if DT700 is sufficient for me or keep looking. I really like A50 sound, but I don't need bluetooth and it is not so comfortable. Does anyone have a recommendation on closed, over-ear, wired, comfortable headphones with sound like Shure AONIC 50?

Depends on your budget, but the Shure SRH-1540 have a lot in common with the Aonic 50. Their playing style is quite similar, but there are sonic differences. The SRH-1540 are slightly warmer, fuller and more relaxed sounding, with better resolution, dynamics and soundstage. They aren't quite as neutral as the Aonic 50 though and they do depend more on partnering equipment though as they are passive, but are in my opinion a significantly better headphone than the Aonic 50. With lower level equipment, like a dragonfly red, they are still be better, but the difference become much larger when they are partnered with better and more powerful gear. The cups are deeper and softer with very low clamping force, easily among the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried and I have tried quite a lot over the years. Do audition before final purchase though, as they are similar but not the exact same in sound signature so no matter how much I love mine, they might not be what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #153 of 1,309
Maybe not exactly what this thread is for, but somehow related. With the Shure Aonic 50 or the SRH-1540 (or similar price points). What's good hardware to drive them?

I'm looking at the Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2 and Motu M2 at the moment. Are those capable to drive those kind of headphones well?
Also, are there any similar products which aren't interfaces, since I basically don't need the "input stuff". I do need balanced TRS outputs for my monitors tho. That's why I'm checking out the interfaces, because DAC/Amps often have unbalanced RCA.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #154 of 1,309
I just got the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro 80 ohm. I like Shure Aonic 50 sound better than DT700. DT700 is different than Audio Technica ATH-A700; DT700 is maybe just a tad better than A700. I know wired headphones are not the same category or price as bluetooth wireless, but just what I have right now.

I need to figure out if DT700 is sufficient for me or keep looking. I really like A50 sound, but I don't need bluetooth and it is not so comfortable. Does anyone have a recommendation on closed, over-ear, wired, comfortable headphones with sound like Shure AONIC 50?

I don't have a lot of experience with many different headphones. So I'm still trying to find the sound I like. I think I have better idea now.
  • I prefer a flat response rather than U or V shaped. I don't like recessed mids and vocals.
  • I want to hear each instrument clearly.
  • I don't want extremely narrow soundstage or point source. I want reasonable soundstage. But I don't want wide soundstage at the expense of recessed mids (like U or V shaped).
Sound Quality:
  • A50: I like A50 sound. Vocals sound full. Has ok bass, good enough for me. Highs are good. Really balance and best of all around and works with all types of music.
  • DT700 Pro: It's ok. I guess for $150, it's probably a good value. Vocal is a bit recess and thin. In some music (e.g. John Legend, Alicia Keys, Lauren Daigle in You Say), vocals sound fine. But in other tracks (maybe where female has higher voice and due to recording, e.g. Ingrid Michaelson, Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs), the vocals sound recessed and thin. The highs are ok, but it just doesn't have that sparkle. From what I read, I was expecting good highs, but I find the highs lacking. Bass is strong. To me, this results in dark and dull sound.
Separate of instruments (not sure if this is considered SQ or sound stage): Example playing Take Five Jazz music.
  • A50: Very clear. I can hear each individual instrument clearly.
  • DT700 Pro: Various instruments just get lost and muddled together.
  • A700: Each individual instruments are clear. Some instruments stand out more than A50 (particularly highs like cymbals), but then others (maybe due to weak mids) are not as clear. A700 is better than DT700.
Sound Stage: DT700 has wider sound stage than A50. A50 is not bad, just not a wide. But I would take A50 sound quality and more in your face vocals over sound stage. A700 has the widest sound stage of these 3, but then it is extremely U or V-shaped so the singer sounds like from back of the room, way too recessed.

Overall for sound, I like A50 due to flat response and sound stage that is in the middle. A50 vocals are a bit in your face, so sound stage is reasonable but not wide.

Comfort:
  • A50: Ear pads are crowded and less comfortable; so my ears get uncomfortable. Note that I do wear glasses. It also gets hotter and sweatier. Advantage is less clamping force.
  • DT700 Pro: Ear pads are super comfortable, but there is more clamping force. So after 1-2 hours, my upper jaw and temple are slightly uncomfortable.
Overall, DT700 is more comfortable right from the start. And I suspect that A50 ear pads and feel will not change over time; whereas DT700 clamping force will likely reduce over time.

While reading your post I thought just like @evhvis that maybe the SRH1540 might fit your bill. A competent closed headphone without Bluetooth electronics, a bit more V-shaped than the A50 but maybe just right.

I ws quite surprised with you classifying the DT770 as warm and dull, those two attributes never crossed my mind in that context. But yes, mods are a bit on the backseat.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #155 of 1,309
Not typical Head-Fi advice, but I find the SRH-1540 to sound absolutely fine plugged directly into my PC. They're incredibly comfortable and I like their sound. I've owned a number of headphones up to the £2K range, and I'm not going to compare one way or the other, but I'm happy to stick with the 1540s for now. I am interested in the Aonic 50 - they seem as though they'd be good for working from home but if they'd be a big step down from the 1540 I'll probably give them a miss.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #156 of 1,309
Depends on your budget, but the Shure SRH-1540 have a lot in common with the Aonic 50. Their playing style is quite similar, but there are sonic differences. The SRH-1540 are slightly warmer, fuller and more relaxed sounding, with better resolution, dynamics and soundstage. They aren't quite as neutral as the Aonic 50 though and they do depend more on partnering equipment though as they are passive, but are in my opinion a significantly better headphone than the Aonic 50. With lower level equipment, like a dragonfly red, they are still be better, but the difference become much larger when they are partnered with better and more powerful gear. The cups are deeper and softer with very low clamping force, easily among the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried and I have tried quite a lot over the years. Do audition before final purchase though, as they are similar but not the exact same in sound signature so no matter how much I love mine, they might not be what you are looking for.
Thanks for the impressions. It looks like the AONIC 50 will be struck off of my list, after all. I found the SRH1540 to be barely adequate for my tastes, as I prefer headphones with a more colored sound. The fact that the AONIC 50 has a neutral signature is a sign that I should be looking elsewhere. It's a shame, though, as I love the aesthetics of the AONIC 50, and Shure has generally produced relatively good stuff, over the years.

Nevertheless, I'll still be auditioning these headphones (hopefully sooner, rather than later).

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #157 of 1,309
Not typical Head-Fi advice, but I find the SRH-1540 to sound absolutely fine plugged directly into my PC. They're incredibly comfortable and I like their sound. I've owned a number of headphones up to the £2K range, and I'm not going to compare one way or the other, but I'm happy to stick with the 1540s for now. I am interested in the Aonic 50 - they seem as though they'd be good for working from home but if they'd be a big step down from the 1540 I'll probably give them a miss.
I cannot compare them directly, but from what people said in this forum, the differences aren't big.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #158 of 1,309
Maybe not exactly what this thread is for, but somehow related. With the Shure Aonic 50 or the SRH-1540 (or similar price points). What's good hardware to drive them?

I'm looking at the Mackie Onyx Artist 1.2 and Motu M2 at the moment. Are those capable to drive those kind of headphones well?
Also, are there any similar products which aren't interfaces, since I basically don't need the "input stuff". I do need balanced TRS outputs for my monitors tho. That's why I'm checking out the interfaces, because DAC/Amps often have unbalanced RCA.

Most of my comparisons were done on the Kinki Studio THR-1 amp, which is an excellent match for the SRH-1540. I also tried some portable units, including dragonfly red and chord mojo. The mojo, with either optical in or galvanic isolation on the USB as input is the cheapest unit where the SRH-1540 really started to pull ahead of the Aonic 50. For the Aonic 50 I feel that USB is the optimal route, but both cable with power on and LDAC over bluetooth also works well.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #159 of 1,309
Most of my comparisons were done on the Kinki Studio THR-1 amp, which is an excellent match for the SRH-1540. I also tried some portable units, including dragonfly red and chord mojo. The mojo, with either optical in or galvanic isolation on the USB as input is the cheapest unit where the SRH-1540 really started to pull ahead of the Aonic 50. For the Aonic 50 I feel that USB is the optimal route, but both cable with power on and LDAC over bluetooth also works well.
Thanks, but my price range is more the 100-200€ :wink:
Would a Motu M2 do the job? Since i need balanced TRS outputs for my monitors.
You can also PM me if that's the totally wrong place here...

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #160 of 1,309
Now at about 225 hours and there hasn't been any noticeable change in the sound signature, so I'd wager the burn in mark is between 125 and 150 hours {my cook settings: music on random at 25% volume, wired connection, no white noise}.
Yes, these are going to be exceedingly difficult to beat.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #161 of 1,309
My pair stopping connecting with 2 devices at the same time. I resetting the headphone and clearing the bluetooth pairing device list and this isn't solving the problem. I'm receiving a replacement SA50 on Monday.

Jun 28, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #162 of 1,309
Received these yesterday. They're alright. The sound is generally decent, but A/Bing them with the SRH1540 is disappointing - I don't think of the 1540 as a bass heavy headphone, but the Aonic 50 is really lean on the low end. The 1540 just has a bigger, deeper sound and being so comfortable amplifies that feeling.

I do need some wireless headphones with a mic now that I'll be working from home for quite a while, and with that in mind I'll probably not send them back. I don't think the Bose or Sony headphones sounded better from what I can recall, but it's been a while. These are probably still the best option for the use case.

I've not tried ANC, since I don't need/want it at the moment. I also haven't tried different equaliser settings.

1593336631271.png

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #163 of 1,309
Received these yesterday. They're alright. The sound is generally decent, but A/Bing them with the SRH1540 is disappointing - I don't think of the 1540 as a bass heavy headphone, but the Aonic 50 is really lean on the low end. The 1540 just has a bigger, deeper sound and being so comfortable amplifies that feeling.

I do need some wireless headphones with a mic now that I'll be working from home for quite a while, and with that in mind I'll probably not send them back. I don't think the Bose or Sony headphones sounded better from what I can recall, but it's been a while. These are probably still the best option for the use case.

I've not tried ANC, since I don't need/want it at the moment. I also haven't tried different equaliser settings.

1593336631271.png

Out of curiosity, did you also listen to the Aonic 50 wired? Anyway, be careful not to compare apples with pears.. The Aonic 50 have been designed as wireless headphones with ANC.. As such are not supposed to compete with the 1540 but with the likes of Bose and Sony ANC cans..

Besides, the 400 euro wireless ANC price bracket is not comparable with the 400 euro price bracket that wired cans sit in. We are talking different purpose different technology and part of the money spent on wireless ANC cans goes into the DAC, Bluetooth chipset and amplifier..

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #164 of 1,309
I haven't yet listened to these wired; they're wireless headphones, even if they support wired as a fallback. The price bracket is an interesting argument, since (like many of us) I've owned £800 cans, £1600 cans, £2200 cans etc., all are different, makes me not really sure it's that - it's more a design choice. I'm willing to bet that if Shure wanted to voice the Aonic 50 similarly to the SRH1540 at the price I paid, they could have, but they didn't.

I still think of the wireless bunch they're probably the best choice today. I prefer the voicing of the SRH1540 by quite a bit, but if I listen to the Aonic 50 while working I probably won't care, and voice calls will be very convenient.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #165 of 1,309

I wouldn't consider the Aonic 50 to be lean, more close the neutral. They will play well defined bass on tracks that have it, but they wont exaggerate. Some might consider them 1 db or so on the lean side of neutral, but I would never consider them "really lean". Personally I would consider the 1540 to be on the border of what I would consider bass heavy, definitely not neutral. We are both in agreement that the SRH 1540 is a significantly better headphone though and a better listen. I would gladly pay 700USD for a wireless ANC headphone that sounds as good as I can get my SRH1540 to sound with a decent DAC and a good desktop HP-amp.

I do love my Aonic 50 for what they are though and that would be a good sounding wireless headphone with decent ANC, even if it isn't at a level I would expect from a 400USD wired. I do have both the Sony WH-1000XM3 and the B&W PX available and neither are close in musical enjoyment when compared to the Aonic 50. The Sony has far superior ANC compared to the Aonic 50 so there is a good chance it will be around for flights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back