Shure AONIC 50 -
Jun 5, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #92 of 1,309
I can understanding what you saying. For me isn't the same experience (the irritation) but is similar because I coming from p7 wireless that is have more mid-bass and less linear mids to treble frequency (but never peaky!) and is very good sound in some respects. But I listening maybe 10-15 minutes with sa50, putting the volume up (not a lot) and soon I am loving sa50 because I hearing very correct bass and specially not offensive mids and treble!

Thats quite exactly my experience as well. I, too, did listen a bit louder, but its sound signature is really nice. Yes, rather flat, yet lively and engaging, neither boring nor sharp/fatiguing. Well done.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #93 of 1,309
Now at about 150 hours. These are aging gracefully thus far.
If you are hip hop fan, these will not give you earthshaking bass, but precise balanced presentation.
Em's "Music To Be MurderƎd" is really well played back through these, nicely layered and balanced across the stage,
The bass is present but again, will not blow your doors off.

Benchmark ANC's. These are going to be very, very hard to top.

If you got a defective pair, and I did, I cannot encourage you strongly enough to exchange them.
You will be rewarded.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #94 of 1,309
You will be rewarded.

Cool.. Were you by any chance able to compare performance between LDAC and APTX-HD?

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #96 of 1,309
If you are hip hop fan, these will not give you earthshaking bass, but precise balanced presentation.
Em's "Music To Be MurderƎd" is really well played back through these, nicely layered and balanced across the stage,
The bass is present but again, will not blow your doors off.

Benchmark ANC's. These are going to be very, very hard to top.

If you got a defective pair, and I did, I cannot encourage you strongly enough to exchange them.
You will be rewarded.

I never understanding why 99.9% of times the people that liking hip hop are having recommendations from other people of bassy headphones. This is meaning that the music that already is having a lot of bass in the original recording/mastering is sounding more bassy with a bassy headphone and is rattling the ears! This is maybe good/exciting for some people for some minutes but horrible for more long time because the ears saying "enough!".

When a track is having prominent bass like The Beatles song 'The Ballad Of John And Yoko' and you using a neutral/flat headphone like shure aonic 50, the bass in the song is loud! If you're using a bassy headphone the bass is extremely strong and the other frequencies are drowning!

Of course if you wanting to hear other music that original mastering is having less bass and you wanting this music sounding like hip hop, then yes, a (very) bassy headphone is good recommendation. But then in this case probably hip hop isn't sounding good!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #97 of 1,309
I never understanding why 99.9% of times the people that liking hip hop are having recommendations from other people of bassy headphones. This is meaning that the music that already is having a lot of bass in the original recording/mastering is sounding more bassy with a bassy headphone and is rattling the ears! This is maybe good/exciting for some people for some minutes but horrible for more long time because the ears saying "enough!".

When a track is having prominent bass like The Beatles song 'The Ballad Of John And Yoko' and you using a neutral/flat headphone like shure aonic 50, the bass in the song is loud! If you're using a bassy headphone the bass is extremely strong and the other frequencies are drowning!

Of course if you wanting to hear other music that original mastering is having less bass and you wanting this music sounding like hip hop, then yes, a (very) bassy headphone is good recommendation. But then in this case probably hip hop isn't sounding good!

Well said. I like genres with prominent bass (or where much is to be experienced down low), so something that simply blows that area up does not do any good for me. What I’m generally looking for is something along the Harman target curve, with maybe some additional boost below 50Hz, but no elevation around 100-200Hz since this can get stressful to me rather quick. Far more important to me is a clean implementation, without reverberations, to let me hear the details without drowning out voices or other effects.
The Aonic 50 does that quite well (though I could live with a bit more emphasis down low), but overall it presents electronic music as a coherent whole, not putting on a show, but maintaining the musics character.
Unfortunately I don’t have the Amiron Wireless anymore, but the Shure might well take it’s crown as best wireless so far. I remember the Amiron as a bit more spacious, and, while I don’t use EQ, the Beyerdynamic implementation of processing on the headphone itself would be an advantage as well. But otherwise the Aonic holds up well, with a very natural presentation and a more compact implementation (the Amiron has much larger cups, though not much more space within them, and it does not even fold flat)

Jun 8, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #98 of 1,309

I know this isn't actually fitting in here perfectly. But to me that's pretty close to it. Also the reason why most headphones simply suck. Cause the vast majority of people can't appreciate it anyways.

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #99 of 1,309
I know this isn't actually fitting in here perfectly. But to me that's pretty close to it. Also the reason why most headphones simply suck. Cause the vast majority of people can't appreciate it anyways.

When most music comes in at a DR of 7 {and no, DR is not always indicative of a stellar recording} and it's produced to be played back either streaming or CD, there's really no reason for headphone manufacturers to put a lot of effort into mainstream headphones being audiophile grade.
More to the point, IMO, music is, to a great deal of the population at the present time, background noise. Bose proves it. People want to be isolated, yet don't want to be bored, so Bose stepped in. The fact that so many were willing to accept crap audio, and it is crap, proves that.

Will update thought's when we go outside together, haven't done so yet.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #100 of 1,309
When most music comes in at a DR of 7 {and no, DR is not always indicative of a stellar recording} and it's produced to be played back either streaming or CD, there's really no reason for headphone manufacturers to put a lot of effort into mainstream headphones being audiophile grade.
More to the point, IMO, music is, to a great deal of the population at the present time, background noise. Bose proves it. People want to be isolated, yet don't want to be bored, so Bose stepped in. The fact that so many were willing to accept crap audio, and it is crap, proves that.

Will update thought's when we go outside together, haven't done so yet.

Maybe this isn't the thread for the discussion of this subject but I think I must saying some things.

I'm agree a lot of music is DR7 (or less!) and this is terrible. Music in CD, however, isn't always DR7 (or similar low dynamic range), yes, more common in pop or recent rock music. It's very good sound in many CDs from 1980s (when first time available) AND even today.

I think the problem with very bad/low dynamic range (DR) is because from 1990s more people than before using portable audio (discmans and minidisc players). Then when iPhod is releasing everything is even more bad and new revolution in portable audio. The headphones/earphones of discmans, minidiscs and iPods isn't having good isolation and this meaning the people outside in street, buses, undergrounds, etc. can't hear good recordings/masters (with good DR) sufficiently good with this earphones/headphones. So, gradually everything is becoming loud so the people can hearing everything (all the instruments and the vocals).

I'm not agree Bose is guilty of anything, maybe the contrary in fact. I think bose qc35 is a headphone with good sound generally, not reference but isn't bad like a lot of people saying. The people in audio forums always liking criticising Apple, Bose and Beats a lot. The recent Airpods Pro is in fact have VERY good sound, better than many more expensive earphones AND headphones. Beats in the past is making very bassy headphones but is changing in last few years making more correct sound, not perfect but better than before.

I repeat this idea from before. If you have bad recordings and masters + a headphone with bad sound, then the sound ultimately is more bad than with a more neutral headphone, and this is specially more evident when you having good isolation when is possible not listening very loud, then your ears saying "enough loud, loud loud everything!"

(Very) high bitrate or lossless is another subject that in audio forums a lot of people don't understanding very good and spreading wrong information continuously, but that's a different subject for other thread/forum.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #101 of 1,309
DR isnt the end all of everything and honestly I find it worthless on everything but live recordings of orchestral pieces. Especially on edm where the DR is 1 because its designed to be brickwall but is more engaging with its multilayered tracks at different volumes while a DR 14 recording is dead boring with parts of silence interspersed with loud crescendos.

I'm pretty sure you want a good headphone even on those dreaded DR1 songs because you want to experience everything and not a mosh of sound that is the QC35.

Ok enough ranting.

Aronic 50 is only coming earliest july : (
Now I wish an intire month will just fly by.
Honestly I would be good with just a nicely tuned BT headphone but to think that it can even do ANC well. Sounds like a instabuy ones it starts shipping to SEA.

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #102 of 1,309
DR isnt the end all of everything and honestly I find it worthless on everything but live recordings of orchestral pieces.

Good DR isn't different in live recording or in the studio. DR isn't everything, this is very true. BUT a bad master/recording of live performance or in the studio is EQUALLY good/great or bad/ terrible. With orchestral pieces DR isn't everything either, is more important how the orchestral performance was recorded AND mastered, the placement of microphones, etc.

Ok, this is enough clarification.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #103 of 1,309
any chance someone can give a quick comparison to the B&W PX7?
I am already reading the PX7 thread, but it has close to 100 pages ;P

EDIT: aren't those the ones which cant be used powered off with a cable?
EDIT2: yes they're... that's a real bummer for me.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #104 of 1,309
Since I don't have a lot of time today i will just write down my really early first impressions from just a bit of listening. Also i didn't compare them side by side to the Dali IO-6 yet, but I think those are still valid impressions. Also all the impressions are mainly based compared to the Dali's:

- Initial pairing was a bit annoying. Seems to need the app installed to make it working.
- The case is huge. Anything like the Dali's or those ones would be insane when they would be able to fold.
- The sound changes when switching between "neutral", ANC and environmental mode seems to be less than for the Dali's
- Highs seem to be less sharp than on the Dali's. Really small difference but positive for me.
- On the other side, semi high or mid piano tones seem to have some "rattling". Similar to listening to a bad quality recording. Anyone else experiencing this?
- A bit more comfortable than the Dali's. Also less heat on the ears.
- Slightly more bass? Still in a very neutral way though.
- Slightly more analytic? Have to decide if that's good or bad for me :wink:.

All this was using Bluetooth with LDAC (adaptive but sitting right next to my phone). And I didn't use the Shure app to play music.

I will write more when i tested them more.

Hi! I noticed the "rattling" noise too. It's basically distortion, and it seems to occur only on LDAC codec. No issue with SBC and AAC. I couldn't test aptX because by default all my phones selected the highest HD codec which is LDAC. I had to manually unselect "HD Audio" under the Bluetooth option to get awesome sound.

BTW, here's my unboxing video for your enjoyment.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #105 of 1,309
Hi! I noticed the "rattling" noise too. It's basically distortion, and it seems to occur only on LDAC codec. No issue with SBC and AAC. I couldn't test aptX because by default all my phones selected the highest HD codec which is LDAC. I had to manually unselect "HD Audio" under the Bluetooth option to get awesome sound.
my new pair should arrive on tuesday. lets see if that happens and then ill test it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back