Shure AONIC 50 -
May 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #46 of 1,309
Thank you for suggestion trellus, but the intention of the wireless and the buttons is you can controlling this (volume) and other aspects directly from the headphones and not from the device. Unfortunately (for me) I changing the volume very frequently and using the iPhone or mbp directly always for this is very, very inconvenient. I know this aspect can changing with firmware update because bowers & wilkins doing this very soon after the releasing of the p7 wireless 3,5 years ago.

Another trick I use is to my Apple Watch to change volume of iPhone to my Bluetooth headphones, using the digital crown, which also gives fine-grained control, and it's very convenient, just as or frankly more convenient than the headphone volume control, which is often far more clunkier than the digital crown on the Apple Watch. Just another suggestion. :)

May 29, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #50 of 1,309
true. but never come up with workarounds. since the vendor just marks the problem as "fixed" then :wink:

Hah! Good point! :) Truth to tell, they aren't "workarounds" for me since I almost never, ever, use volume controls on headphones as I generally find them far clunkier and more annoying to use than my phone or my Apple Watch -- so to me, they are "the" way to do it, with headphone volume controls only an emergency backup mechanism -- my problem is I have way too many headphones so I generally don't remember where the fiddly little controls for volume are anyway on a given set, lol.

May 30, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #52 of 1,309
Another trick I use is to my Apple Watch to change volume of iPhone to my Bluetooth headphones, using the digital crown, which also gives fine-grained control, and it's very convenient, just as or frankly more convenient than the headphone volume control, which is often far more clunkier than the digital crown on the Apple Watch. Just another suggestion. :)

Thank you for new suggestion trellus. Unfortunately the apple watch isn't a product I want buying.

For 3,5 years I'm using volume buttons in my p7 wireless and is (for me) very quick and excellent for the very correct volume I wanting. I'm sure shure can improving this aspect with firmware update. I saying this before, shure isn't only company with the same problem (for me), sennheiser momentum 3 is even bigger problem because is jumping more steps with one touch!, but this is only wireless headphone doing this terrible thing.

I'm insisting a lot about the volume because I think shure aonic 50 is having (exceptional very close) neutral / flat / reference sound and the timbre is very very correct too.

May 30, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #53 of 1,309
Looking forward to your opinions and feedback.
I'm curious on whether the bass is better than the Dali IO-4/6.
they just arrived. so far all is fine. going to charge them.

i tried to pair them and my phone tells me to enter a 16 digit code... any idea where this code is? or whats wrong?
never had to type a pin on any bluetooth device

May 30, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #55 of 1,309
i tried to pair them and my phone tells me to enter a 16 digit code... any idea where this code is? or whats wrong?
never had to type a pin on any bluetooth device

This isn't common and when is happening is always 4 digits not 16! and the number is usually 0000 or 1234. I pairing with 3 devices instantly, no code necessary. Maybe do unpairing and trying again.

May 30, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #57 of 1,309
Since I don't have a lot of time today i will just write down my really early first impressions from just a bit of listening. Also i didn't compare them side by side to the Dali IO-6 yet, but I think those are still valid impressions. Also all the impressions are mainly based compared to the Dali's:

- Initial pairing was a bit annoying. Seems to need the app installed to make it working.
- The case is huge. Anything like the Dali's or those ones would be insane when they would be able to fold.
- The sound changes when switching between "neutral", ANC and environmental mode seems to be less than for the Dali's
- Highs seem to be less sharp than on the Dali's. Really small difference but positive for me.
- On the other side, semi high or mid piano tones seem to have some "rattling". Similar to listening to a bad quality recording. Anyone else experiencing this?
- A bit more comfortable than the Dali's. Also less heat on the ears.
- Slightly more bass? Still in a very neutral way though.
- Slightly more analytic? Have to decide if that's good or bad for me :wink:.

All this was using Bluetooth with LDAC (adaptive but sitting right next to my phone). And I didn't use the Shure app to play music.

I will write more when i tested them more.

May 30, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #58 of 1,309
Since I don't have a lot of time today i will just write down my really early first impressions from just a bit of listening. Also i didn't compare them side by side to the Dali IO-6 yet, but I think those are still valid impressions. Also all the impressions are mainly based compared to the Dali's:

- Initial pairing was a bit annoying. Seems to need the app installed to make it working.
- The case is huge. Anything like the Dali's or those ones would be insane when they would be able to fold.
- The sound changes when switching between "neutral", ANC and environmental mode seems to be less than for the Dali's
- Highs seem to be less sharp than on the Dali's. Really small difference but positive for me.
- On the other side, semi high or mid piano tones seem to have some "rattling". Similar to listening to a bad quality recording. Anyone else experiencing this?
- A bit more comfortable than the Dali's. Also less heat on the ears.
- Slightly more bass? Still in a very neutral way though.
- Slightly more analytic? Have to decide if that's good or bad for me :wink:.

All this was using Bluetooth with LDAC (adaptive but sitting right next to my phone). And I didn't use the Shure app to play music.

I will write more when i tested them more.

I will waiting for more impressions from you, but I will saying this: I owning before the dali io6 and I returning it after one day or two because the treble and the bass isn't sufficiently correct for me. With shure aonic 50 I'm very happy with bass, mids and treble, for me is more realistic / correct reference sound than dali io6. The shape of artificial leather of io6 is problematic for me for 2 reasons: plastic ear pads making my ears hot very soon and the shape isn't covering my ears completely unless I moving the top of my ears and putting inside the earcups (this is similar problem with b&o h9, h9i and h9 3rd gen).

May 30, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #59 of 1,309
MUSIC IN PURE PASSIVE MODE (power off on both headphones)Winner, A50.

It wasn’t even close. The M3 NEEDS power to sound good. It’s not HORRIBLE without power (Sony WH1000xm3, I'm looking at you...), but the A50 is MILES ahead. The A50 sounds really good without power. The M3 is lacking without it. But it DOES work well enough that you can use it in an emergency until you can charge it again.

1. ANC addressed above, but just in my apartment, I felt like the M3 blocked more noise. Could be any sort of thing. Maybe the frequencies in my fans are blocked better in the M3, or maybe something like the passive noise canceling (seal around my ears) is better with the M3. Just my experience. I'M AN IDIOT!!!! I tried it again, and realized that I had the A50s in passive mode when testing fans. Cause on the A50, the switch in the center is passive mode, and the M3, the switch in the center is ANC. so when I stopped being dumb and actually put the A50 in ANC mode, it worked MUCH better and DID block noise more than the M3. Still a faint hiss, but DEFINITELY blocked noise better.

Hi, I got couple questions.

1. How is the AONIC 50 sound quality wired with and without power? I suspect these wireless headphone batteries can die in 1-3 years, depending on the usage. And not sure if the battery is replaceable. I would like to use the unit as wired headphone with equivalent SQ when that happens.

I know Alexi wrote the review stating A50 is better than M3 without power. I want to check how A50 compare to itself with and without power? Also, there was follow-up regarding this "passive mode". I believe that follow-up comment is for ANC, not the SQ. Just want to double check.

2. Are the ShurePlus PLAY app settings written to the headphone hardware? Or only when the app is running?

For instance, once you set the equalizer in the app, does that EQ setting stay in the headphone when you use a different app (Spotify), watch movie on iPad, or use another source (another audio player)? I saw this YouTube video in French (auto-translated to English). If the translation is correct, it states at 10min mark that EQ settings is only available when sending music thru the app.

And how about other app settings, like ANC level (max and normal) and Environmental mode (10 levels)? Are those written to headphone hardware? Or only when App is running?

Thanks

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #60 of 1,309
Hi, I got couple questions.

1. How is the AONIC 50 sound quality wired with and without power? I suspect these wireless headphone batteries can die in 1-3 years, depending on the usage. And not sure if the battery is replaceable. I would like to use the unit as wired headphone with equivalent SQ when that happens.
Sound quality is EXTREMELY similar with and without power. With power, I think the bass becomes a little more present. Aonic sounds really good, and there's not a lot of difference with or without power. If you intend to use it without power, it's still really really good.
2. Are the ShurePlus PLAY app settings written to the headphone hardware? Or only when the app is running?
Only when the app is running and, even worse, ONLY while playing music THROUGH THE APP. That means that if you open up the app, set an EQ, and then open a second app to play music (such as spotify) those EQ settings will not apply to your spotify. ONLY media and music you can play directly through the app. At least that's how it was on iphone when I was trying it.
.... saw this YouTube video in French (auto-translated to English). If the translation is correct, it states at 10min mark that EQ settings is only available when sending music thru the app....
Likely because the way phones work it puts an app to sleep after a certain amount of time it's not in the foreground. So I can totally see what it'd revert. That's they way it was designed to be used.
And how about other app settings, like ANC level (max and normal) and Environmental mode (10 levels)? Are those written to headphone hardware? Or only when App is running?
ANC level was stored to the headphone when I had it. If I set it to lower ANC ("normal"), it would be on normal if I turned it on later while NOT connected to the iphone. I imagine the same would happen with the environmental mode.

Lex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back