Shure AONIC 50 -
May 26, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #31 of 1,309
Another generic design, get creative, jesus looks like they robbed this straight from Sony.

May 26, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #32 of 1,309
I begin this post saying probably I'm not excited like I'm today in 3,5 years, when I buying the b&w p7 wireless (p7w). The p7w is still the best construction of every headphone (except for the b&o h8, and h9 models I know) I trying in many, many years. The later models of b&w (px and px7) for me isn't close in quality of construction to p7w AND in the design. For me the p7w is a classic headphone already and I'm sure about this in the beginning when I buying it.

Now I having approximately 14 hours listening with the shure aonic 50 (sa50) and I'm very impressed with this headphone. The number one aspect is the sound quality but is more aspects that contributing for my opinion and thus excitement.

I speak of negative aspects first because I concentrating later in the more important (for me) positive things.

1) The carry case is very very big. Good quality, yes, but is very, very big for travelling. I will trying in future finding a more small case.

2) The shure app is very good but is very bad thing that the excellent eq is only available when you playing music from the app, the eq isn't working if you're using other music apps. Why?!!!

3) When you wanting scrolling down in the app for artists, albums or songs, the app is very very VERY slowly and sometimes is freezing!!

4) I like the logo of the company very small and/or darker hiding, not a logo that you can seeing in the distance (for me is "Look, I'm have expensive shure headphone, look at me!" I think b&o is my favourite for this but I'm not 100% happy even here. This is only aspect I didn't like at all in p7w)

5) Button for ambient, anc and normal mode (off) can be improving because I needing usually 2 hands for changing for the correct setting.

This is the positive aspects.

1) The sa50 is having leather earpads. This is very important for me because my ears sweating very easy after maybe 30 minutes with artificial eardads. I don't know why but the best in leather is the p7w because my ears never are hot. With sa50, momentum 3 and b&o headphones my ears are warm after sometime but is never bad like the imitation of the leather from the majority of headphones. This is a big positive for me. AND you can very easy removing earpads if you want replacing. This is too very, very good.

2) The buttons are physical and the important buttons are easy for finding/feeling for doing the action you wanting (volume, play/pause, next/previous track.

3) The multipoint with 2 devices is very good if you don't having the app open.

4) The construction is sufficient solid and the design is very good, isn't strange cool / modern and isn't old like qc35. I'm very happy the shape of eardads isn't like b&o or dali io6 (circular) that isn't fitting my normal ears correctly. I can using this headphone for 4 hours (the maximum in this 3 days) and is never uncomfortable. I know I can using for much more hours.

5) It isn't creaking sound when moving some parts of the headphone like sony xm1 and something similar with bose nc700 or px7. I like too that you can hearing the click in the 9 positions for the earcups position. I don't like this aspect in momentum 3 because one side is more hard and the other less and sometimes you look and it isn't the same size in left and right. This is very good in sa50, sony, bose and beats headphones (maybe others I don't remember now).

6) Is nice that when you're moving the earcups it isn't easy, and this meaning the position is staying in the correct place. This is critical aspect for isolation and good sound. This hadpnne isn't falling or moving a lot when you move your head quickly, and this is excellent design for this!

7) Ambient sound is EXCELLENT because you can really, really change from 1 to 10 (you can hearing difference very easy, isn't pretending is 10 settings, its very real). I testing different settings here and is fantastic. In my case I sometimes needing more or a lot of the ambient sound coming in and sometimes only very, very little.

8) ANC isn't the superb (like sony and bose) but is probably the second best of much headphones in the market. With the momentum 3 it isn't good definitely for airplanes and this is the reason I deciding selling it. I think sa50 will sufficient good for the airplanes when I testing in future and giving you great sound too. I testing anc again today and I don't hearing hiss, and the sound with anc on is almost/probably identical when anc off; I trying very actively hearing difference and maybe, only maybe (maybe is psychologica?) I hearing very little more bass. The reality is that for me the sound isn't change in important way at all. This is very good because other headphones changing a lot or don't changing usually probably because anc is bad quality (like new momentum true wireless 2 earphones that is the big shame of sennheiser!).

9) I saying already several things about the sound and I want saying something more. Is very possible my brain is adjusting with the new sound (this is normal even with very bad headphones) and/or maybe break in is happening (but my experience making me very sceptical saying me burn in isn't very real when doing in blind testing).

Right now I never wanting more bass, NEVER. I love, like I saying before, that I can put volume up and the mids and high frequencies don't hurting my ears like many, many headphones (bose nc700 is good example of this, or h9, io6 or mw65). But this ISN'T meaning I needing music loud all the time. After 3 days I can listen moderate volume or low at night, or high or very high (not common for me) and I love very, very much the sound of the sa50. Is typical saying that nothing is perfect and is true of the sa50 that the frequency curve isn't perfect, but I don't hearing a more correct, neutral /reference (but not boring!!) headphone like this in long, long time, wireless or not.

The complete frequency spectrum is 90-95% perfect for my ears. This is incredible, really. In blind test I asking me if other people listen to sa50 and other many more expensive reference headphones and I ask if they can hearing a difference.

After 3 days, and even if is needing improving in some aspects, I think the a50 is without doubts for me, the best (anc) wireless headphone in the market today.

May 26, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #33 of 1,309
BTW, I figured out what my concerns were with the multi-point pairing with the AONIC 50. These headphones are set up different than what I thought (wanted).

HOW THEY WORK - They connect to two devices (for example, my phone, and my computer). I can play music on my phone. When I want to switch to my computer, I stop playing music on the phone, and then play music on the computer. Same for going the other way. If I'm playing music (or watching youtube or something) on my computer, it will not switch and alert me for a text message. Or mail on my phone. But it WILL switch if I get a phone call.

HOW I WISHED THEY WORKED (and other headphones DO work this way) - I play music on my phone. When an ALERT comes in on the computer (for example, the "email" sound on outlook), it switches devices cause it senses new input away from the phone, alerting me that something happened on my computer. When the alert sound stops playing, it recognizes that there's no sound coming anymore from the computer and immediately switches back to the phone.

So it can pair and stay paired with two devices as once. But once one device is making noise, it doesn't seem to switch to the other device for an alert of any sort. Only if there's some sort of voice call (maybe the multipoint is somehow tied into needing the microphone? I don't know how this stuff works). For a lot of people, I believe this is pretty much what they want. Listen to a movie or music or something on one device, and have it switch over automatically to accept or reject a phone call, but not have it interrupt them for text message tones, email tones, ebay "your item sold" notifications, etc. I wanted all those other little tones.

May 26, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #34 of 1,309
I want speaking about the battery of the sa50. Before I using the first time, I charging 100%. Today I'm using the sa50 about 8 hours continuously (never is uncomfortable).

From the first moment I'm writing a record of the time I use this headphones each time. Right now my records is saying I'm using 18h 50m and the app saying it is 12% battery more. Of the almost 19 hours I think maybe 4 or 5 hours is with ambient sound on and maybe 15 minutes with anc on (only for the testing and comparing with my sony xm3.)

This are very good news because sennheiser, for example, with momentum 3 (and momentum true wireless 1 & 2) the battery life is never really the quantity that the manufacturer is saying. Also the percentage of the battery that is showing in the shure app I think is giving more precision than other headphones because isn't only 90%, 80% or 60% (multiples of 10) or suddenly big jump from 90% and then 60%, but is always different and gradual (89%, 81%, 74%, 65%, 56%, 37%, 26%, etc).

I'm sorry but I must saying this. After almost 19 hrs (today 8 hours!) the bass is really excellent. Is very difficult for me believing that is only I'm using only this headphone for 19 hours and my brain is accustomed now. And burn in for me is not real in many years of experience. The best explaining for me is my brain isn't bombarding with much low frequencies like before for 2 days and is listening more linear sounds and is having rest from 'more noise'. Now I'm hearing really sufficient bass, sometimes even heavy!, in all tracks but the mids and the highs are always great and super clear and never attacking my ears.

The first day the difference in the bass is very clear with my p7 wireless and of course specially with the sony xm3. I'm not using the sony or p7w for listening in 2 days because I'm testing a lot of music with sa50 now. I'm liking so much the beautiful clean, balanced sound (NEVER boring!) that isn't analytical in my mind, just really very exciting. This is very strange and little crazy maybe but my sennheiser hd800 isn't sound so good like the sa50 (the treble in the hd800 is sometimes problematic).

May 27, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #36 of 1,309
Opinions vary.
I find them understated, with a beauty that matches the sound.
I've yet to hear them. I've never really found any Shure products that actually sound good so not too hopeful. Any measurements? How do they actually sound as them squatting the Bose doesn't really explain much. How's the timbre? tonal balance? what headphones do they compare too etc? Shure headphones tend to either be bright or thin with the exception of the 840 + 1540 so curious what they were going for with these.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #37 of 1,309
I've yet to hear them. I've never really found any Shure products that actually sound good so not too hopeful. Any measurements? How do they actually sound as them squatting the Bose doesn't really explain much. How's the timbre? tonal balance? what headphones do they compare too etc? Shure headphones tend to either be bright or thin with the exception of the 840 + 1540 so curious what they were going for with these.

They are, to my ears and except for the sound stage, identical to the 846's. These are a bit wider in that area for obvious reasons.

They are far more flat/neutral than any wireless headphone I have ever heard. Period.
Switching between full anc and pass though/passive, I noticed virtually no change in any of the sound signature.
There was some bleed through with the enviroment mode. These are as neuttal as my HD280Pro's. I said in a another thread, and wasn't being hyperbolic at all, these are as close to reference quality as you are going to get for an ANC.

Have not auditioned either the 840 or the 1540 could not say what these sound like in relation to them.

May 27, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #39 of 1,309
It's the little things, isn't it? Something was bothering me, and not in a bad way.
I couldn't figure out why these were so quiet mechanically, then i looked closer:
Shure added a contour cut med density foam pad so the arms wouldn't clack on the ear cups.

Is difficult seeing but you must removing that part. I think they putting there for shipping.
IMG_2142.jpg

Yesterday I finishing first full charge and I obtaining 21 hours and 15 minutes

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #42 of 1,309
The closest competitor is the Dali IO-6 I would say. I really like the Dalis but I still wanna compare them to the Shures. Seems like my pair just left Amazon, so hopefully they're arriving soon.

Looking forward to your opinions and feedback.
I'm curious on whether the bass is better than the Dali IO-4/6.

May 29, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #43 of 1,309
I hoping Shure is looking at this thread because I have very important suggestion.

I have iPhone and MacBook pro and I wishing the volume steps (up and down) is more gradual (more steps). My bowers and wilkins p7 wireless is having this (more steps) and is fantastic because you can really changing the volume in small increments. This a more important problem with the albums releasing in last 25-30 years of rock and pop music, or the releasing of remastering of more old albums. This albums are very loud originally. If you going from step 2 to 3 or 7 to 8, or the opposite, the difference in the volume is often very big.

The majority of the wireless headphones having the same problem. I'm sure is possible with a firmware update improving this situation. The shure aonic 50 is have a reference / studio sound. In this case the volume steps is very important aspect for the people that appreciate good sound and don't listening always loud.

May 29, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #44 of 1,309
I hoping Shure is looking at this thread because I have very important suggestion.

I have iPhone and MacBook pro and I wishing the volume steps (up and down) is more gradual (more steps). My bowers and wilkins p7 wireless is having this (more steps) and is fantastic because you can really changing the volume in small increments. This a more important problem with the albums releasing in last 25-30 years of rock and pop music, or the releasing of remastering of more old albums. This albums are very loud originally. If you going from step 2 to 3 or 7 to 8, or the opposite, the difference in the volume is often very big.

The majority of the wireless headphones having the same problem. I'm sure is possible with a firmware update improving this situation. The shure aonic 50 is have a reference / studio sound. In this case the volume steps is very important aspect for the people that appreciate good sound and don't listening always loud.

Use the volume slider in Control Center on your iPhone rather than the volume buttons, you will get finer grained control of volume that way.

I believe the finer grained control can also be accomplished on your MacBook Pro using the volume slider control (you can put that in your menu bar) rather than the up/down volume physical keys.

May 29, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #45 of 1,309
Use the volume slider in Control Center on your iPhone rather than the volume buttons, you will get finer grained control of volume that way.

I believe the finer grained control can also be accomplished on your MacBook Pro using the volume slider control (you can put that in your menu bar) rather than the up/down volume physical keys.

Thank you for suggestion trellus, but the intention of the wireless and the buttons is you can controlling this (volume) and other aspects directly from the headphones and not from the device. Unfortunately (for me) I changing the volume very frequently and using the iPhone or mbp directly always for this is very, very inconvenient. I know this aspect can changing with firmware update because bowers & wilkins doing this very soon after the releasing of the p7 wireless 3,5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back