Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Jan 26, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #453 of 493
After listening to these headphones for about a week, I have to say that they are phenomenal warm headphones. I love warm headphones, a result of my taste in music, but I don't enjoy bloated base or lack of detail in the mid and high range, such as from the  MDR-XB800. The 1540 don't suffer from bloated veil inducing bass. The 1540's have very deep solid bass when needed, but you don't notice it when it isn't called for. They are definitely a warm headphone though, and for many audiophiles they are probably too warm. I do notice some harshness in the high end, and especially after listening to them for an hour or so, depending on the music I have to take a break. I have owned AKG K271 MKII headphones, and I own a pair of Etymotic ER4P IEMs. If you prefer that sound then these headphones are probably not for you. They are comparable to the HD650 or the HE-500 in sound signature, although I would say that the mid and high end are more detailed than on the HD650, can't say for sure in regards to the HE-500's as I didn't listen to them for as long as the HD650's. I say that having auditioned both of them before purchasing the 1540's.

Headphones I own or have owned for reference: Etymotic ER4P (Red and Blue), AKG K271 MK II, Ultrasone HFI-580, Sony MDR-R1, Sony MDR-XB800, Heir Audio 4.a. Out of those I got rid of the AKG's, way too little weight behind the music for my enjoyment. I probably wouldn't want much more bass than the 1540 provides for critical listening.

I have some Ultrasone Pro 900's that I bought off the classifieds coming in about a week, so it will be interesting to see how they compare to the 1540's.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #456 of 493
  Do they isolate well compared to other closed headphones ?

Isolation is first class.

I didn't feel like they isolated that well (compared to the Alpha Dogs, Beyer T5p, Ultrasone Signature DJ, Perfect Sound Dido D901s, etc.) and they leak at higher than normal volumes as well. Not "open-back" leakage but they do leak. So isolation was "meh" for me and these 2 points were the main reason I decided to sell them.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #458 of 493
this VS the alpha dog is a close call as far as I read. This has to be way more comfortable I think. I need to find a way to test both.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #459 of 493
  this VS the alpha dog is a close call as far as I read. This has to be way more comfortable I think. I need to find a way to test both.

They are more comfy than the ADs... The ADs are comfortable but they weigh more, the Shure's are very very light!

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #460 of 493

They are more comfy than the ADs... The ADs are comfortable but they weigh more, the Shure's are very very light!

But is the sound quality different 'more' that the comfort? It seems that you have both headphones from your signature.

Feb 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #461 of 493
  But is the sound quality different 'more' that the comfort? It seems that you have both headphones from your signature.

All I can say is that I no longer own the Shure's... :wink:

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #462 of 493

I didn't feel like they isolated that well (compared to the Alpha Dogs, Beyer T5p, Ultrasone Signature DJ, Perfect Sound Dido D901s, etc.) and they leak at higher than normal volumes as well. Not "open-back" leakage but they do leak. So isolation was "meh" for me and these 2 points were the main reason I decided to sell them.

The porous pads are probably the greatest contributors to leakage.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #463 of 493

Did you ever try the Alpha pads on the 1540, like I suggested? If not, then you really missed out on the full potential on these.

The porous pads are probably the greatest contributors to leakage.

The Alpha pads not only refine the sound... but fix the leakage issue, as well.

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #465 of 493
any idea when these might go on sale again? want to pick up a pair but they're 499$ everywhere :frowning2:

Try to email earphone solutions and ask them if they can offer a discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back