Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Jan 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #406 of 493

Are those Alpha Dog pads?  If so, any modding needed to make them fit?  Sorry, I don't know different earpads very well by sight...

Yes, they are, and some stretch modding is needed to make them fit comfortably. I also placed the thick angle upwards rather than facing back (like the Mad Dogs and Alphas) in order to provide a good seal. The way these headphones are shaped actually compliments the shape of the pads when placed in this manner.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #407 of 493
Sorry; one last thing. Would the Shure's be too inaccurate for mastering music, or are they linear enough besides the bass?

I don't even hear any problem with the bass after extended listening. The 'emphasis' seems to go away after a time and I hear a pretty even response. I don't master music but I think the 1540 would give you a pretty good idea of what's thre, especially since the midrange is so sublime..

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #408 of 493
If mastering, just be careful of not getting carried away punching the highs and going overboard when lowering bass region. Other than that, they should do fine. If you are not getting the desired results with them, you can always "dial back" to some Sony MDRs or similar Studio monitors.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #409 of 493
Hey gelocks,

Can you try the alcantaras on the Alpha Dog and report back with results? Please?!? lol

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #410 of 493
  Hey gelocks,

Can you try the alcantaras on the Alpha Dog and report back with results? Please?!? lol

Hahaha ATROCIOUS!!! Bass sucks (even less presence and what's there is definitely not very well defined), mids still have that very nice sounding characteristic but oh the highs... ... let's just say that the change is NOT for the better... That's all I'm going to say. 

Also, the ADs now have a cool mechanism for changing pads which is kind of cool (and easy, I liked it!)

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #412 of 493
Hahaha ATROCIOUS!!! Bass sucks (even less presence and what's there is definitely not very well defined), mids still have that very nice sounding characteristic but oh the highs... ... let's just say that the change is NOT for the better... That's all I'm going to say. 

Also, the ADs now have a cool mechanism for changing pads which is kind of cool (and easy, I liked it!)

LOL. What about alpha pads on the Shures? That's apparently better.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #413 of 493
LOL. What about alpha pads on the Shures? That's apparently better.

I personally think the alpha pads make any closed headphone sound better

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #414 of 493

Wow, definitely not what I was expecting lol

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #416 of 493
On he 1540 the alpha pads tighen up that loose bass, gelocks speaks of, that I believe is due to the alcantaras and not the tuning itself.

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #419 of 493
IMO 1540's bass with Alcantara is tight, albeit powerful. And more comfortable.

I'd have too disagree. It depends on what kind of music you listen to. When I listen to bassy music with the alcantaras there is definitely a loose mid bass hump.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #420 of 493
Sold my SRH1540 last week, it just wasn't for me.

I've come to the conclusion that closed headphones just don't work for me in general for any kind of music listening. Though I do own the Audio-Technica ES7, I don't use it for music listening at all, it's solely a "computer" headphone for me (DVD & streaming movies, gaming, etc). Plus it's cheap so I don't expect it to sound "great".

I sold the SRH1540 for a reason similar to why I also sold the Fostex TH900 previously—neither was sufficiently "open"-sounding enough and the cut-off decays in especially ambient electronica were extremely annoying to me. The TH900 aggravated me because of that, and of course the closed SRH1540 did the same for me. I think if I ever get another closed headphone it's going to be a <$300 model to replace the ES7 as a computer headphone. Just couldn't tolerate the SRH1540's lack of properly-full decays, or the TH900 for that matter for the same reason.

Other reasons I couldn't get into the SRH1540 included its lack of clarity, lack of treble quantity & extension, and a bass response that just sounded too intrusive. It's not the bass quantity that bothered me per se, moreso its quality. I thought it just intruded too much into the mid-bass/lower mids and made too many genres of music sound too indistinct. And I thought I'd like its bass for electronica (specifically The Crystal Method, The Prodigy, & Infected Mushroom), but it didn't do anything for me for those artists in terms of bass. I can't describe why exactly, but its bass was just boring and reminded me of the HE-400's indistinct ploppy mess. I vastly preferred the KEF M500 back when I owned those headphones, which had just the kind of bass that I like for electronica and had really good quantity & quality.

I just never enjoyed any type of music on the SRH1540 and I did throw every major genre that I listen to at it—classical, bluegrass/folk, electronica/trip-hop, & metal. Not that I'd call it "bad" though, I'm sure it'd be fine for other people, but I just couldn't put up with it personally.

Easily my biggest headphone disappointment in a long time. :frowning2: I'd been hoping for something more similar to the open SRH1840.

I was able to try the headphones on two amps btw, the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite and Garage1217 Project Ember, neither of which helped me to like the headphones. If anything I was expecting the Gilmore Lite to help fix its bass overbalance and bring out the treble, but that didn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back