Shure 846 vs. JH Roxanne's
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #47 of 113

About the same - 5-6 hours. Very very comfortable. I don't understand why people choosing to buy universals over customs, specially if they are in the same price range.

My custom ear plugs that I ordered through work take me about 10 minutes to get out of my ears, they are VERY difficult to remove even when I turn and pull, I can even feel the ear plug pulling on the skin in my inner ear... I tried them a couple of times and I won't even use them anymore as I don't want to take the chance of not getting one out.  So I am a little nervous to get customs as I don't want to run into the same problem.  I wonder if anyone else has this problem or if it is my ears of just this specific set of ear plugs.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #48 of 113
My custom ear plugs that I ordered through work take me about 10 minutes to get out of my ears, they are VERY difficult to remove even when I turn and pull, I can even feel the ear plug pulling on the skin in my inner ear... I tried them a couple of times and I won't even use them anymore as I don't want to take the chance of not getting one out.  So I am a little nervous to get customs as I don't want to run into the same problem.  I wonder if anyone else has this problem or if it is my ears of just this specific set of ear plugs.

I think it might be the material of the ear plugs. For acrylic it is so much easier. My customs take under 5 seconds to put it in or take it out.

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #51 of 113

I had a similar issue with some custom ACS silicone tips I got for some etymotics probably some 6-7 years ago.  I actually had a near heart attack once when did get somewhat stuck in my ear, after which I stopped using them.  

I can assure you the experiene w/ my Roxannes is dramatically different.  

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #54 of 113

I had a similar issue with some custom ACS silicone tips I got for some etymotics probably some 6-7 years ago.  I actually had a near heart attack once when did get somewhat stuck in my ear, after which I stopped using them.  

I can assure you the experiene w/ my Roxannes is dramatically different.  

Thanks.  If I do decide to get customs in the future I will go with the acrylic.  I am actually thinking of ordering the W60's when they are released though, as I enjoy the W40's and I think they would complement my SE-846's well.  There are too many great iem's to choose from though lol.  

I do really love my 846's with my Headphone Lounge silver cable though, the vocals on some songs feel as though the singer is in the same room. I love the bit of graininess in the vocals.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #58 of 113
Who makes the custom sleeves for the 846's?

I believe that Sensaphonics makes the official sleeves. I have their official sleeves for my SE535 and they are very good, indeed.
Sensaphonics makes the official custom sleeves for Shure iem's. I got a pair for the SE846's and love them. Just make sure you order the "full shell" type, the price is the same and holds better the SE846 cos are more heavy than the other Shure iems.

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #59 of 113
Sensaphonics makes the official custom sleeves for Shure iem's. I got a pair for the SE846's and love them. Just make sure you order the "full shell" type, the price is the same and holds better the SE846 cos are more heavy than the other Shure iems.

Thanks for the info.  Looks like my brother will go with a re-shell of my JH16's instead of a sleeve over the SE846.  On the other hand, I may just go after a pair of SE846's just to see how they compare to my Roxanne's.

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #60 of 113

fermelom -

Yesterday I finally went to the Audiologist (one of Sensaphonics' preferred "Golden Ear" locations) and got impressions made for a pair of custom sleeves for my SE425s. Today, I start looking through Head-Fi for comments on the sleeves and learn for the first time about "full shell" offerings from Sensaphonics.

There's nothing about this option that I can find in the website product pages and the only thing I can really learn about custom sleeves for Shure IEMs is that SE315/425/535 are compatible and SE846 are a different design. 

Would you mind elaborating on how you went about obtaining the full shell sleeves from Sensaphonics? I considered just calling them up, but in my case the audiologist is handling the entire process, so my name probably won't mean anything to the Sensaphonics rep. 

Thanks for your advice!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back