Shure 840's or alternative??
Jan 10, 2010 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KettyKrueger

Head-Fier
Hwy all,

Newbie here....I'm in the market for some new headphones. I've done some research and I've narrowed my selection down to the 840's. I've seen them on iheadphones.co.uk for £120 which seems reasonable, as they seems to be £165 everywhere else.

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion on these. Most reviews seem to be positive.

I'm also open to alternatives. Looking to spend around £100/£120 and I'm after closed-back, ideally with a detachable cord for use with my iPhone 3GS and Macbook Pro with Apple Lossless files. Also, I mainly listen to metal.

One last thing, if I was to get the 840's, I'd like to replace the cord as the supplied cord is coiled and too long. Can anyone recommend a replacement cord with an angled jack at one end (will any 3.5mm to 3.5mm do?, or should I opt for gold-plated jacks, oxygen free, blah blah...)

Many thanks

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 10
If you're going to be using a mobile device like an iphone you may want to look into getting the SRH440s.
The difference quality is supposed to be minor, but the 440s are easier to drive.
It may be difficult to replace the cord on either because the design isn't exactly common (2.5 to 3.5 with bayonet lock on the 2.5 side)
I guess it would be possible to completely dismantle the default cord setup, although it would be a bit risky.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 10
Cheers for the reply. I thought the cord was just a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm, good to know it's not easily replaceable.

I'm surprised the 440's are easier to drive, as I thought they were both 44 Ω?

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 10
SRH840's are very easy to drive, and will play fine directley from your ipod, obviously using an amp will improve SQ...

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRH840's are very easy to drive, and will play fine directley from your ipod, obviously using an amp will improve SQ...

Thanks for that. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've read the opposite of that! Can't remember where (perhaps on these forums) but a few people have said that an amp doesn't improve the SQ using an iPhone and 840's because they are so easy to drive.

Obviously, I'm open to different people's views, I can always try using an amp. Anyone got any quick recommendations ( I realise this is not the correct forum)? How would something like this do using the iPhone and 840's? Again, open to suggestions and comments.

As always, many thanks.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 10
If you are set on the idea of the 840's, but prefer more bass with your 'phones, perhaps the Denon D2000 is worth also looking into. They are great, and just a bit more expensive.

Jan 10, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 10
shure srh 840 has very nice sound quality out of a portable,smooth,balanced,natural sound,without strange colourations to the sound like other closed designs,and with good sense of soundstage and imaging.But they are a little bit laidback,so i'm not sure if you like them for metal.

They are also big and look a bit funny on your head,and if you have big ears,maybe you'll find them a bit uncomfortable.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 10
I've been listening to my 840s non-stop, both amped (RSA hornet) and jack output on the laptop.

These headphones do indeed sound terrific on its own. When comparing with the DAC & amp plugged in, the music did sound more refined. The bass was definitely tighter and the separations were slightly noticeable. I didn't find it to improve soundstage, as with my other headphones, but I'm guessing it's the limitation of having a closed headphone.

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for that. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've read the opposite of that! Can't remember where (perhaps on these forums) but a few people have said that an amp doesn't improve the SQ using an iPhone and 840's because they are so easy to drive.

Obviously, I'm open to different people's views, I can always try using an amp. Anyone got any quick recommendations ( I realise this is not the correct forum)? How would something like this do using the iPhone and 840's? Again, open to suggestions and comments.

As always, many thanks.
evil_smiley.gif

A headphone amp is many times over a portable source, every time unless you have a hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back