Shure 840 - 30 hours in
May 29, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
Hey people - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone hears things differently.  That's what makes this fun.  We're talking headphones here - not defending our spouse / GF / kids !

Cub - Casey's getting a dac shortly - so will be interesting to see how that improves things for him.  Am hoping that it will really help. I love my 840's through my E7.  Must say that I was a bit surprised as well when you mentioned the 840's were better than your open cans - especially the HD600 and HD650.  I only got to spend 10 minutes with a set of HD650's last time I was in the US - but I'm looking forward to hearing them again when I get back.  From what I've read, I think I'll probably like the HD600's more - so pretty confident I'll be picking up one of the two next time I'm there.

Cub - if you don't mind, can you try the velour pads from your 940's on the 840's and let me know how it affects the sound?  Seriously considering picking up some velours for my 840's when they hit the stores.

OP - great choice for a closed can, and nice to see they compliment your AKGs and Senns.

i am curious on this as well. please do try this germancub, and let us know what if any improvements occur. thanks

May 29, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #17 of 21
Hey people - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone hears things differently.  That's what makes this fun.  We're talking headphones here - not defending our spouse / GF / kids !

Cub - Casey's getting a dac shortly - so will be interesting to see how that improves things for him.  Am hoping that it will really help. I love my 840's through my E7.  Must say that I was a bit surprised as well when you mentioned the 840's were better than your open cans - especially the HD600 and HD650.  I only got to spend 10 minutes with a set of HD650's last time I was in the US - but I'm looking forward to hearing them again when I get back.  From what I've read, I think I'll probably like the HD600's more - so pretty confident I'll be picking up one of the two next time I'm there.

Cub - if you don't mind, can you try the velour pads from your 940's on the 840's and let me know how it affects the sound?  Seriously considering picking up some velours for my 840's when they hit the stores.

OP - great choice for a closed can, and nice to see they compliment your AKGs and Senns.

I'm actually of the rare breed that feels open headphones lose some of the intimacy closed headphones offer. There is something about isolation and having your music be just with you and only you that somehow gets lost with open headphones.

I completely agree with you about opinions though and I know there will be plenty think I'm crazy for thinking the SRH940's are the finest sounding dynamic headphones I've ever heard, and that's ok, that's why there are so many on the market. As far as the pads go, for some reason, I didn't like the way the 840's sounded with 940 pads at all, they lost quite a bit of extension with these and sounded lifeless. Same goes for 840 pads on 940's as a matter of fact, they ended up sounding a bit stuffy and crowded in the upper registers.

It seems as if the 840 pads emphasize low end and stifle the higher end whereas 940 pads tame the low end and emphasize the high end. I suppose Shure, unlike with the 440's, really did their homework and R&D with the pads on their two high end models and think both, respectively, sound best with the pads they came with.

May 29, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #18 of 21
On second listen, i think calling them lifeless is unfair. The 840 with 940 pads lose a bit of impact and gain a bit in the upper registers which makes them a bit less fun sounding. It's doing something odd with the soundstage too. I will listen to these for a few hours and report back to you guys.

May 29, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
On second listen, i think calling them lifeless is unfair. The 840 with 940 pads lose a bit of impact and gain a bit in the upper registers which makes them a bit less fun sounding. It's doing something odd with the soundstage too. I will listen to these for a few hours and report back to you guys.

great can you let me know how it impacts the treble and midrange? i am thinking about ordering the velour pads. after i get the e7 of course.

May 29, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 21

Quote:

Thanks Cub!.  If it doesn't do a lot, I won't worry.  Was just curious if there was any advantage.

May 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:

may i ask what genre of music you enjoy most on these cans?

Hi, I mostly listen to indie rock, indie folk, and acoustic type music.  Some recent favs: Laura Marling, Laura Veirs, Mumford & Sons, Pinback, Newton Faulkner, Ryan Adams, Blind Pilot, Horse Feathers, One Eskimo, Sean Hayes, The Waifs, Jeffrey Foucault, Jakob Dylan, Ingrid Michaelson, etc...

I pretty much exclusively buy music post 1999 and I only buy CDs so I get the best sound quality.  Thanks for asking!  : o)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back