Shure 535 can be improved by replacing the cables!
May 30, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #31 of 34
I'll explain cables when you explain gravity.
etysmile.gif
  Joke but an explanation is not needed to observe a phenomenon.. I personally have heard lots of high end snake oil cables that make things worse and added silver has often been involved. I'm really not into the pseudo science explanations by manufacturers as to why theirs is better because I know that it's a bunch of bull and they're not changing the laws of physics on a yearly basis. I also completely agree with Music1234 when he says that a cable will seemingly fix whatever is wrong and that seems over the top. People hear a difference and assume things. Brighter will make the bass seem tighter. Smoother, fuller but the bass itself rarely changes. I think most after market cables in HiFi are a waste of money, but not because they may not sound different, it's because they as often sound worse. When you get to the really good stuff, you can easily hear a power cable and if anybody can explain to me why a cable in front of low current requirement regulated power supply can sound different. They will have my undying gratitude.

May 30, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #32 of 34
Well the market for home stereo and tv cables have been growing and look at the higher end cables that sell for over 400 US dollars. Why would there be a difference in price for cables?

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 34
From a English Magazine. "
[size=10pt]You can also get a replacement silver cable, which (after we published the initial review) we were sent to test. This is beautifully crafted from thick pure silver cabling plated together and terminated in a high quality gold plated jack connector - it certainly looks the part. It doesn't incorporate a wire for moulding the cable round your ear but we didn't find this at all problematic, and in fact it proved to us that which we've thought for a while; that you don't really need malleable cables. The thicker nature of the cable did introduce a bit more microphony, though. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the listening and indeed it does seem to improve things. In short, it's a bit like adding a decent headphone amp, providing improved bass response and just generally a bit more presence to the sound. Indeed, as much as anything the 'phones simply seemed a tad louder with this cable attached. We definitely approved. However, with it costing £140 it's not an option we'd recommend going for until you've had some time with the normal cable".[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back