Shure 440 vs Sennheiser HD 238
Jun 9, 2010 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DefunctiO

New Head-Fier
Hi question is simple, wich headphones has better sound?
especially for rock music, i like clean sound but little more bassy...
Im gona use them with iphone/pod
Im interested only in sound...
thanks

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 16
Do you live near a Best Buy?
The HD238's are on closeout for around 35 bucks.
I bought a pair and think they are great.  They are kind of bassy, so you'd probably like them.  They are open phones though, so keep that in mind. 
I have not heard the 440's...

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, no i live as far as it's possible :D
I'm from little country in the middle of europe :D
In my local shop HD 238 are for 80 euros :D
All i know about them, is that, they are both very good headphones, but Senn's are more portable opened and Shure's are much bigger closed back's full sized headphones with unplugging cord/cable (don't know how to say it, the cable is "removable")

But thank's a lot :)

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 16
Never heard 238, but I can maybe comment a little on the Shure. It's quite big, and I do not like the cable. It's coiled and heavy.

And they are not bass heavy, more midrange oriented, quite similar to the sound signature of E4C (but a lot more refined and airy/transparent). If you want more bassy sound then they are not for you.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 16
Hmm thanks, a like bass thats true :/
So problem is, i have them both at home (i have bougth Shures ane Senns were present)
But they are still boxed, now i would like to choose one and the other sell...
but i dont want to sell opened headphones cause as NIB they are valuable...
so i dont know wich one i will open and use...

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 16
i own the HD 238 but i cannot say the same for the Shure, I have them at my local futureshop though.
If you prefer a detailed sound with nice highs, pick the HD 238, Im not sure if the 440's can top it though.
If you do buy the hd 238, there are 2 rules before judging them:

-burn them in, for a long time (100+ hours) using different typed of methods but use bass heavy music the most to calm down the bass.
-equalizing is paramount for this headphone, unless you are fine with the heavy sound signature. Turning down the bass and turning up the highs and upper mids can make this headphone stay true to its name (Precision).

Otherwise, I really recommend this headphone. It can compete with some upper sennheisers (hd 555) if you tweak it right.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #14 of 16
I've tried both and previously owned the HD238. I prefer the HD238, the SRH440 sounds a bit too cold and boring for me. However the HD238's bass tends to be uncontrolled (distorted?) if you listen at high volumes.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
I've tried both and previously owned the HD238. I prefer the HD238, the SRH440 sounds a bit too cold and boring for me. However the HD238's bass tends to be uncontrolled (distorted?) if you listen at high volumes.

I did experience distortion wit the bass overpowering the midrange. Though you usually have to turn down the bass anyways because I feel that it is bass bloated. Once I turned down the bass the overall sound was much clearer and defined, more neutral. The hd 238 should have sounded like what I equalized, it is MUCH better. The sound signatures kind of sounds like the RE0 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back