Shure 215 vs 535 (Limited Edition)
Oct 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #31 of 63
Well those are your opinions you are free to them. While I have not owned the 846, I have owned the se535 bronze and the se535-ltd-j on a point of view as far as build quality they are both the same so personally I can speak for my own personal experiences with the mmcx connector. Of which I had issues on both factory and upgrade cables on. Both the ltd and bronze edition.

Im not comparing one connector to another in my statement. But more so saying that it sucks that people with the w4r cant directly swap out their upgrade cable to the new w40 so in that respect it sucks that you need to either upgrade the pins or upgrade to a mmcx cable that will work.

And I dont particularly follow logitech as "ultimate ears" in my opinion they went down hill when UE sold out thats just my opinion.

But reading up on the 900 and seeing segments of people complaining about build quality and cable Issues thats all I have to go off of. Although its not a all be all answer its a good indication of a product. And there are complaints from the mmxc from buyers.

But we are getting off track here. Im not here to fight or sway a opinion based on any connectors.

I prefer the pins others prefer the mmxc its fair to say to each their own. I wish I had better experiences with that sort of connection but its not the case. But im not here to imply or sway a opinion about the connectors.

But you have to admit if you have a pinned upgrade cable that cost 400.00 for the w4 and now if you want to upgrade the iem you now need to upgrade the xable along with it. Thats more of wjat im talking about.

Mooses,

On the switching of connectors by Westone we completely agree. It is worse than when Apple changed the connectors from the 30 pin to their proprietary lightning connector and forced me among many others to buy the adapter. With Westone now you have to send your cables to be reterminated. Candidly, one of the reasons is purchased the SE846 was with the same connector and nozzle size as all other Shure IEMs I simply switched my aftermarket cables and eartips I already had to he 846.

I also agree that UE is not the same company since Jerry Harvey left after the acquisition by Logitech. The innovations are coming from JH Audio not Logitech UE anymore.

I also think Westone is crazy to introduce a whole new lineup with from what I heard only cosmetic changes but no change in the sonic signature. Why anyone would buy the W40 at $500 when the 4r is on sale for $300 is beyond me.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #32 of 63
Mooses,

On the switching of connectors by Westone we completely agree. It is worse than when Apple changed the connectors from the 30 pin to their proprietary lightning connector and forced me among many others to buy the adapter. With Westone now you have to send your cables to be reterminated. Candidly, one of the reasons is purchased the SE846 was with the same connector and nozzle size as all other Shure IEMs I simply switched my aftermarket cables and eartips I already had to he 846.

I also agree that UE is not the same company since Jerry Harvey left after the acquisition by Logitech. The innovations are coming from JH Audio not Logitech UE anymore.

I also think Westone is crazy to introduce a whole new lineup with from what I heard only cosmetic changes but no change in the sonic signature. Why anyone would buy the W40 at $500 when the 4r is on sale for $300 is beyond me.

Well maybe what you heard is not true. I highly doubt the changes are cosmetic only. Also remember they now have iphone/ipod integration.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #33 of 63
In the Westone 4 Appreciation Thread a poster stated he spoke with Westone and they confirmed the new series will use the same BAs and sonic signature as the current line up.

You are correct that the new Westone's have an iPhone/iPod cable.

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #36 of 63
I know it is. I wanted to save on the extra cables. Each costs $50 a piece i think. Getting 2 for the price of 1 and the modified 535 is a good deal. I also love red as a color.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #37 of 63
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]
LTE is just the regular version with a different damper....see the 535 damper thread

Unfortunately the Limited Edition is not the one with a different damper to extend the treble response. The LE has a black cable and an iphone cable. The one you are referring to is the SE535-J or Special Edition which to my knowledge is still only sold in Asia. I think the LE is a better decision because you get service worldwide and the modification to change the filters is relatively simple.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #38 of 63
The Shure iphone cable is of poor quality not worth the premium, better off getting one on eBay or the UE900 one if you don't mind blue.

Ah yeah LE is different, still not worth it if you're paying much more than the regular version, unless you REALLY want it red

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #39 of 63
Unfortunately the Limited Edition is not the one with a different damper to extend the treble response. The LE has a black cable and an iphone cable. The one you are referring to is the SE535-J or Special Edition which to my knowledge is still only sold in Asia. I think the LE is a better decision because you get service worldwide and the modification to change the filters is relatively simple.

You are wrong. Please read this thread and pay attention to post #20:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/655461/another-shure-se535-red-limited-edition-launched-in-usa/15

Look at the frequency responses the LTD has 19.5 vs the regular 19. It is the same one as the Asia, the only difference is Asia one has a clear cable and this one comes with iphone cable.

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #40 of 63
The Shure iphone cable is of poor quality not worth the premium, better off getting one on eBay or the UE900 one if you don't mind blue.

Ah yeah LE is different, still not worth it if you're paying much more than the regular version, unless you REALLY want it red

That's right, but it's a lot better than 4r (no cable), UE900 (has loads of QC issues with disconnects), klitpsch (lets not even go there). I really don't care about the quality of the cable because based on "my" low standards, it's 10x better than what I'm used to. Yes it doesnt have kevlar on it, who cares:)

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #41 of 63
So is the westone better in terms of sound for the casual listener using spotify than shure with a strong emphasis on pop and the such? 

I stand corrected. Interestingly, Shure specifications state the greater range but make no mention of the enhanced range. When I bought mine over a year ago, I had to purchase from Hong Kong to get the greater frequency range. It is nice to see Shure selling these worldwide.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #43 of 63
Compared to the 4r I would go with the SE535 as it is more musical. For Pop or Rock is will be a better listening experience.

I posted this for two reasons. One I believe it and but also because after 9 months here at Head-Fi I love the 535 vs 4r rivalry :).

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #44 of 63
First, I think the discussion is healthy for the OP and others looking to make a similar decision. However, forum shopping is not ideal if you don't have a frame of reference.

Second, regarding audiophile sound..that is debatable. My current home stereo system is Stereophile Class "A" equipment. Now, that has absolutely nothing to do with why I bought it. My setup handles the midrange in a magical way. To my ears, that is where the music I listen to lives. Therefore, to say that IEM X is more audiophile than IEM Y is....well...you get my point.

I suggest you find an online store with a good return policy and be the judge for yourself. I think Brunellos are the best red wine, but that does not mean somebody else may completely disagree. It really is a matter of personal taste. I promise you that a litte time spent getting an in-home audition with your music will be definitive. You may even find that stepping up to the JH or 846 means you spend less in the long run...enjoy the ride.

Good luck!

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #45 of 63
 You may even find that stepping up to the JH or 846 means you spend less in the long run...enjoy the ride.

This.  I bought the SE215, ER-4PT, SE425, UE900 before breaking down, spending big money, and getting the SE846.  Wish I would have just went straight there to begin with, but the journey has definitely been fun!  Whatever you decide DerStig, have fun, and welcome to this strange addiction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back