Shpongle is shpecial.
Jan 26, 2010 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
Thanks to a few mentions here in the music forum, now I too have been Shpongled. No small thing, since I'm 42 years old and was dead set against just about any 'electronica' I've ever come across. My most recent somewhat open-minded attempt was Infected Mushroom, but the incessant dancebeat/techno bass thumper kills it for me. But Shpongle ... well I'm loving it. Can't supplement the experience chemically as I would have ten years ago, but just want to say thanks to those who brought the group to my attention since new music rarely finds its way into my library anymore ... until Shpongle hit my frequent selections included Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, old Dylan albums, Jim Campilongo, Talking Heads bootlegs and Pink Floyd bootlegs.

A little reading on the genre now has me feeling out Younger Brother and Bluetech as well. And I'll take more suggestions, thank you.
wink_face.gif

Anyway, to celebrate my 'discovery', I made this little bit of album art for those who might have this recording. Feel free to use it.

tsar_nikolai.jpg

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just discovered them recently too off their 2009 album, great band.

Their new album is their worst...

OP. Try some Androcell - Efflorescence and Yggdrasil - Prose Edda (IMO the psybient album of 2009).

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

^ this is a 2006 version, the version of this track on the album is fairly different.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Other stuff I'd check out is Zero Cult - Art of Harmony.

Out of curiosity, what Infected Mushroom album did you listen to?

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, what Infected Mushroom album did you listen to?

Thx for the new music suggestions! As for the Infected Mushroom, I've heard my way through most of Classical Mushroom, IM the Supervisor, and Vicious Delicious. There are some truly genius musical transitions in the work, and it's not a question of whether the music is good. I'm just that after every mind-blowing transitional intro, the music always seems to revert to that bumpaditty-bumpaditty-bumpaditty-bumpaditty techno groove. And granted, that shows up a bit in some Shpongle pieces too, but it never dominates for long (that I've noticed, anyway).

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 44
There was a thread somewhere for usual music that was very good where I found out about Shpongle. Though not psychedelic, a friend suggested dZihan & Kamien's album, Gran Riserva, which is a jazz/dj crossover which got me into jazz in a big way. I definitely need to find more Shpongle-like music though, as I find it very hard to get into anything electronic that isn't epic and engrossing.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx for the new music suggestions! As for the Infected Mushroom, I've heard my way through most of Classical Mushroom, IM the Supervisor, and Vicious Delicious. There are some truly genius musical transitions in the work, and it's not a question of whether the music is good. I'm just that after every mind-blowing transitional intro, the music always seems to revert to that bumpaditty-bumpaditty-bumpaditty-bumpaditty techno groove. And granted, that shows up a bit in some Shpongle pieces too, but it never dominates for long (that I've noticed, anyway).

As an Infected Mushroom fan, I know where you are coming from regarding the bass. It took me a while to get into Infected Mushroom too, actually.

The albums that frequent my rotation list from IM are Classical Mushroom, The Gathering and lastly (and leastly) Converting Vegetarians.

I think, probably for the person who finds the monotonous bass annoying, the CD "The other side" from converting vegetarians is probably the easiest to get into what early infected mushroom is about (sonic manipulation, generally focused on the mids, general trip and musical development), as a number of tracks don't have the thumping bass. If you're a fan of classical or contemporary music Converting Vegetarians is a great place to start - it sounds fantastic and has various classical techniques including repetition and variation (the rhythmic figure from track one is used in the first three tracks). IMO the expertise shown by infected mushroom at the beginnings of their career is what makes them great: I am not a fan of their new stuff at all.

I'll link three songs from "The other side", which are really easy to get into (and IMO is the direction they should have gone, not where they have gone now). For the record, Vicious Delicious is their worst album.

Not really my favourite infected mushroom songs, but probably the ones I'd use to try and Convert Vegetarians
very_evil_smiley.gif

Overall, I think the best way to approach early infected mushroom (particularly classical mushroom and the gathering) is as a classical piece, moreso than an electronic piece.

Let us know how it goes anyway
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 44
Well IM and the like are making pure dance music. It's not really there to be listened to on its own, though of course you can. Shpongle's Simon Posford also makes dance music under the Hallucinogen name, and it's very good too IMO but once again it's music with a purpose. Shpongle, on the other hand, has a lot more cross-genre appeal, and yes, once upon a time I was also Shpongled quite thoroughly, breaking me out of the classical and prog rock I was into at the time. Of course losing my Shpongle virginity also accompanied going to a three-day psytrance festival and everything that this entails, so you can imagine just how thoroughly I got into it. So thoroughly, in fact, that almost 10 years later now I'm still very much into the scene, and electronic music continues to be my main area of musical interest, though perhaps not quite to the same extent.

Shpongle make serious music - perhaps music that's every bit as significant as anything that any renowned classical composers made back in the day. It's one of the few acts that I can label as "brilliant" and not make any kind of disclaimer afterwards. Well, save for one maybe - they've been in a bit of a creative slump lately (the last two albums have their moments but are in general a notch below the first two), but that is to be expected - the last two disks are out due to fan pressure; the artists themselves feel that they've said everything that they need to say two albums ago.

If you're looking for stuff like Shpongle - as you can imagine, there isn't a whole lot. But, there are some suggestions I can throw out:

OTT - Blumenkraft. OTT actually co-wrote a lot of Shpongle stuff together with Simon and Raja Ram, and uses a lot of the same studio musicians and vocalists on his project, so as you can imagine, it has a similar feel. This is the only OTT album that I really like, the followup was kinda meh IMO.

Shulman - pretty much every disk, though Random Thoughts is probably my favorite. Shulman is a bit more downtempo compared to Shpongle, but has a very good sense of classical melody. Really, really good stuff but a bit harder to get into.

Maneesh De Moor - Sadhana. I really don't like a lot of the meditation music Maneesh De Moor makes, but this album seriously takes a page from the Shpongle book, and is IMO brilliant. Story-driven, progressive electronic music, and rumor has it that once upon a time, Maneesh De Moor was in an Ayahuasca ceremony, and under the spell he heard this extraordinary beautiful music, and for the next several years he was on an obsessive quest to try and recapture and replicate what he heard. The end result is this album, and the feel of it seems to support this.

Nicholas Gunn - Breathe. Not electronic music per se, but I'll be damned if melodically this disk isn't similar to Shpongle, especially the first track. Oh, and Nick Gunn is one of the best flutists out there, too, sounding a bit like Raja Ram with better technique. If you want acoustic Shpongle this is it.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 44
With regards to Infected Mushroom being a bit boring/repetitive/predictable, I would suggest Juno Reactor, especially their album Bible of Dreams. Unfortunately, psytrance as a whole tends to be a bit predictable and stale. I did find Prose Edda to be better than Shpongle's newest work. And for those of you in the LA area, Shpongle's playing on April 28
smile.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well IM and the like are making pure dance music. It's not really there to be listened to on its own, though of course you can.

COULD
NOT
DISAGREE
MORE.

Good infected mushroom (read: the older stuff) is designed to be listenned to whilst taking drugs (hallucinogens no less) and on its own is fantastic music from both a musicologists perspective and casual listeners perspective.

Regarding new infected mushroom I completely agree with you, and think that as a whole psytrance is essentially a dead genre (although I think that goa still has its merits and is amazing) and is in desperate need of rennaissance of the "good stuff".

I'm not sure where you get the idea of Hallucinogen being dance music either. I'm a jazz fan at heart but goa does so many things right- sometimes on more complex levels than other music due to the complexities of the midrange, although this is assisted by the redundancy of the bassline (which is rarely used to convey tonality as it would be in jazz/classical).

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 44
I see some of you are in your 40s.. but remember, Raja Ram is 71! He and Simon Posford make up Shpongle (or, perhaps vice-versa).

::: )

I'll admit, I discovered Shpongle years ago in a haze at Burning Man.. but now, in more sober years, Shpongle never gets old.. it's almost intoxicating in itself!

EDIT: Sorry, Raja Ram is 67/68.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back