Shpongle is shpecial.
Jan 27, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #32 of 44
I'm not saying that psytrance/goa don't have musical merit. They're just dance music first and everything else second. The OP finding it repetitive is the typical reaction to it from a non-electronic listener, while psy-ambient stuff like Shpongle has tremendous cross-genre appeal. And yet melodically, they are very similar a lot of the time.

I think psy/goa died in 2000. But, as with any technically dead genre there are still good things to be had, they're just rare. In the NYC scene there are a few good DJs still around, like Elnadiv and Kno-B. Goa was really an explosion of creative talent on the music radar, and while I don't think that it will be revived any time soon, a similar explosion is bound to happen again somewhere else. I'm just hoping it won't pass me by.

As far as drugs go, everybody uses drugs in some form, and everybody has what's technically called drugs in their body at ALL times. DMT is Schedule 1 in the States and is similarly controlled in most parts of the world, and yet it is an endogenous neurotransmitter that functions in melatonin and serotonin synthesis, and is found in more than 50% of all living things, along with 5-MeO-DMT and 5-OH-DMT and a whole host of other tryptamines of every imaginable shape and size. The boundary between "drugs" and "not drugs" is completely arbitrary.

Honestly, it's far too loaded a topic, I think. We'd better leave it be if we want this thread to stay open.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not saying that psytrance/goa don't have musical merit. They're just dance music first and everything else second.

++

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really love the track "Dorset Perception", but the rest of Tales doesn't do much for me (maybe flute fruit and my head feels like a frisbee) but otherwise for me its are you shpongled > Nothing lasts > Tales >> Ineffable

Yes, "Dorset Perception" is my personal favorite Shpongle track. Some other good tracks from that album, of course, in my opinion, include "Star Shpongled Banner," "New Way to Say Hooray," and "Around the World in a Tea Daze."

And catscratch, threads have been known to be closed if drugs come up, so it would definitely be a good idea to not discuss them, even if the music is largely designed to synergize with them.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

IThey're just dance music first and everything else second.

So incredibly wrong.

Buttrock goa? Undanceable
Dreampop? Undanceable
IDM? Undanceable
Trance from the 70s? Undanceable.

Maybe you should turn off your DJ music.

Quote:

I think psy/goa died in 2000.

Goa side of things:
Man with No Name - Teleport was 2000.
Classical Mushroom was 2000
In 2009 we had Filteria - Daze of our Lives
Psy side of things:
Converting Veggies was 2003
In 2009 we had Infected Mushroom - Legend of the Black Shawarma
Guys like synsun etc
Heck, never heard of 1200 micrograms?

For someone who doesn't listen to that much electronic music, the fact I can come up with 5 albums in a few minutes from last year and 2000 (the year you state it dies) off the top of my head puts what you say in doubt.

If you want to call the late 90s the golden age of goa, then sure, I'm up there with you. "Dead"? I don't think so.

Is Jazz dead? Classical?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, "Dorset Perception" is my personal favorite Shpongle track.

Divine Moments of truth and Botanical Dimensions here.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #36 of 44
I've been into Shpongle for a good while and picked up the following albums from recommendations throughout this thread -

Yggdrasil - Prose Edda
Androcell - Efflorescence
Shulman - In Search of a Meaningful Moment
Zero Cult - Art of Harmony
Maneesh de Moor - Sadhana
Sundial Aeon - Metabasis

Love them all. Efflorescence especially reminds me of Asura's Life², which is one of my favorites.

Cheers.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #38 of 44
Jan 30, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So incredibly wrong.

Buttrock goa? Undanceable
Dreampop? Undanceable
IDM? Undanceable
Trance from the 70s? Undanceable.

Maybe you should turn off your DJ music.

Goa side of things:
Man with No Name - Teleport was 2000.
In 2009 we had Filteria - Daze of our Lives
Psy side of things:
Converting Veggies was 2003
In 2009 we had Infected Mushroom - Legend of the Black Shawarma
Guys like synsun etc
Heck, never heard of 1200 micrograms?

For someone who doesn't listen to that much electronic music, the fact I can come up with 5 albums in a few minutes from last year and 2000 (the year you state it dies) off the top of my head puts what you say in doubt.

If you want to call the late 90s the golden age of goa, then sure, I'm up there with you. "Dead"? I don't think so.

Is Jazz dead? Classical?
rolleyes.gif

Divine Moments of truth and Botanical Dimensions here.

Don't forget Ineffable Tales from Shpongleland.

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by XaNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds allot like Bluetech you should check them out.
dt880smile.png
beerchug.gif

(sighs)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly can't tell if Pianist is joking or not.

Yeah that post of mine doesn't make any sense at all. I put in the wrong simile because I was really tired that night. I think I also had too much wine.
redface.gif
Sorry guys, I will delete it now.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #41 of 44
I'm a bit late to the party, but I've recently found myself Shpongled at 35.

Don't do drugs anymore, but I could see how Shpongle would be awesome on psychedelics. The sound is just so open, and so very very warm.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #42 of 44
They really do have some interesting music, If you like Shpongle try out Entheogenic they make fine music aswel.

In my oppinion drugs are far from needed with this type of music even tho its associated allot with it. 
I mean there are people that smoke pot and listen to Sibelius or Bach...

The brain produces on its own plenty of chemicals to be enjoyed but people seem always wanting more and new experiances.
I'll stick to music as my dope and addiction. Enjoy.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #44 of 44
I really enjoyed listening to a couple of tracks from Anthropomorphic as I drifted off last night. Perfect music to try to enter a lucid dream state with the solid bass, light percussion, and out of the head leads. I prefer this over Shpongle as there are no distracting moments involving speech/ vocals.

I'll definitely be exploring more of this artist and genre on a nightly basis. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back