Shozy Alien+
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #316 of 539
Glad for you! Do you think A+ outperforms DX90/80?

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #317 of 539
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #318 of 539
I've had a demo unit 3 weeks ago on my hands. System is just barebones but actually if only that you want to do is to play music it's suprisingly convenient. It doesn't perform sd card scanning and it starts in about 2 seconds and you're ready to go even with 200gb card filled with music.

Soundwise it's simply exquisite. And I don't mean that it's just good it's by far the best portable audio player that I've heard. I've owned or auditioned extensively daps like shozy alien gold, cowon plenue p1, pioneer xdp-100r, questyle qp1r, colorfly c10, astell and kern ak70, ak300 and ak380, pono player, and Alien+ is just in another league imho. It's hard to describe the sound because it's at the same time musical and engaging and technically advanced. Imaging and layering is just out of this world but the most impressive thing is how full bodied, textured and realistic each instrument sound and depending on recording it can be agressive and mellow but it's never tiring or too relaxed - I've heard this qualities only on stationary rigs with tubes. When you compare the sound of alien+ to other daps you hear what other daps are doing wrong. I encourage everyone to at least audtion this device.

Personally after sending back test unit I didn't intended to buy one. Sure I was impressed with sound quality but I thought it's just to barebones for me. Unfortunately it was too late and I was hooked. I missed the sound so much and there wasn't going back, and guess what? I ordered one which just came in yestarday. Love it with my ety's er4xr but It's also suprisingly good with Beyerdynamics T1's which are 600ohms.

IMAG1234-01.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #319 of 539
I've had a demo unit 3 weeks ago on my hands. System is just barebones but actually if only that you want to do is to play music it's suprisingly convenient. It doesn't perform sd card scanning and it starts in about 2 seconds and you're ready to go even with 200gb card filled with music.

Soundwise it's simply exquisite. And I don't mean that it's just good it's by far the best portable audio player that I've heard. I've owned or auditioned extensively daps like shozy alien gold, cowon plenue p1, pioneer xdp-100r, questyle qp1r, colorfly c10, astell and kern ak70, ak300 and ak380, pono player, and Alien+ is just in another league imho. It's hard to describe the sound because it's at the same time musical and engaging and technically advanced. Imaging and layering is just out of this world but the most impressive thing is how full bodied, textured and realistic each instrument sound and depending on recording it can be agressive and mellow but it's never tiring or too relaxed - I've heard this qualities only on stationary rigs with tubes. When you compare the sound of alien+ to other daps you hear what other daps are doing wrong. I encourage everyone to at least audtion this device.

Personally after sending back test unit I didn't intended to buy one. Sure I was impressed with sound quality but I thought it's just to barebones for me. Unfortunately it was too late and I was hooked. I missed the sound so much and there wasn't going back, and guess what? I ordered one which just came in yestarday. Love it with my ety's er4xr but It's also suprisingly good with Beyerdynamics T1's which are 600ohms.

Ah, another one bites the dust :D

I loved my Alien+ from the first time I heard it, mainly listening via a pair of Noble Katanas.

However, I just recently got asked at the last minute to help out on the iBasso stall at CanJam London, so I've been listening to their DX200 (amps 1 & 2) extensively whilst burning it in (and their IT03 IEM's).
Enjoying both greatly and due to my responsibilities to iBasso, I'm just listening to their products in the lead-up to CanJam.

But it's going to be very interesting to me to go back to Alien+, with both Katanas and the IT03 after CanJam, when I'll hopefully have time to really start A/B testing them all :)

My suspicion is that the more neutral and transparent Katana is going to sound better with the Alien+. Possibly the IT03 will as well, but let's see :D

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #320 of 539
My weapon of choice for the past 2 years was colorfly c10. I love his tubey, plush sound that feels very lifelike. Most other daps even when they are better technically they feel more artificial to me. Alien+ is the best from both worlds and it really is a step up in overall sound quality.

Testing with my other cans and D7000's from alien sound not to shabby at all I say :)
IMAG1238~01.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #321 of 539
Hi!
Having some questions here. Do the FLAC issues mentioned several pages back affect only 24/96 and higher or is redbook also affected? My music library consists of the 16/44 mostly so i wonder will i have any problems using Alien+. Converting to wav is not an option/
Also whats with MP3? Several bootlegs and some LP's i enjoy exist only as lossy so are there any problems with those?
Thank you:)
Oh and one more thing! Alien+ can't remember the track it played before it was shut down. So the question is: when it is switched on what happens? Is it always some kind of main screen or does it remember the last folder it played at least?

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #323 of 539
Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #325 of 539
Hi!
Having some questions here. Do the FLAC issues mentioned several pages back affect only 24/96 and higher or is redbook also affected? My music library consists of the 16/44 mostly so i wonder will i have any problems using Alien+. Converting to wav is not an option/
Also whats with MP3? Several bootlegs and some LP's i enjoy exist only as lossy so are there any problems with those?
Thank you:)
Oh and one more thing! Alien+ can't remember the track it played before it was shut down. So the question is: when it is switched on what happens? Is it always some kind of main screen or does it remember the last folder it played at least?

Alien+ doesn't work with hires flacs, only redbook 16/44. I have couple of albums that alien just skipped instead of playing it but I've recoded it once again to flac with defeult settings and they did started working. Most likely compression level was to high. I didn't have issues with mp3's so far but I don't have that many of them.

It doesn't remember anything, when you boot up you're always on a main screen from which you need to select folder and album.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #326 of 539
open update file err

is the message I get when trying to get the FW updated
I built 4 themes for the X5 DAP and flashed my FW 100's of times on that thing.
I tried with filed on SD
Removed all files off SD except fw file
Nothing.
Shozy has tried to help but that error is all i get

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #327 of 539
open update file err

is the message I get when trying to get the FW updated
I built 4 themes for the X5 DAP and flashed my FW 100's of times on that thing.
I tried with filed on SD
Removed all files off SD except fw file
Nothing.
Shozy has tried to help but that error is all i get

Just a suggestion...are you sure that there are no hidden files on your SD card?

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #329 of 539
Is it Fat32? guiformat usually the first thing I try if it might be an SD card issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back