Show us your gaming set-up
Dec 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #19 of 62

The lighting in my room sucks, hence the bad looking pictures. It all look better in real life. Anyways the explanation for the 3 monitors is the LCD is for Shows and Component 480P+, the PVM CRT is for RGB SCART though a BNC adaptor and S Video, and the Compaq/Sony is for VGA.

Anyways the consoles are hooked up like this genesis/32x w/Crystal Clear Audio Mod, SNES, Turbografx 16, Saturn, and PS1 (audiophile version) are all hooked up through SCART BNC adaptor to the PVM (grey one in the middle), the NES is hooked up through composite BNC, and the N64 S-video is hooked up to the PVM.

The Dreamcast gets its own CRT monitor through VGA (480p is gorgeous, its like playing HD versions of old games)

Finally the Xbox and Wii is hooked up through component to LCD, and the atari 2600 hooked up through RF to the LCD.

Nothing looks better than a professional CRT monitor for retro gaming 
wink.gif
. My speakers are Klipsch heresys for the front channels, and cantons for the mid and rear channels. I also have a PS3 and PS4 hooked up to a modern 55" Bravia in another room for modern gaming, and a couple dozen other consoles scattered around the house.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #21 of 62
DAT SATURN. HNNNG

The saturn is pretty amazing. Though like you stated before the games are incredibly expensive. Unless you read japanese... Then you can buy all the rpg imports for dirt cheap. Shmups are expensive no matter what though (outside of darius gaiden, layer section/galactic attack, and twinbee). You can get guardian heroes for around $50-$60 after the holiday rush though. On the cheaper side of things you can pick up Astal, Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa USA, sega rally, virtua fighter 2, vampire hunters/dark stalkers, bomberman (jp version), Panzer Dragoon I and II (will you should be able to find them cheap, the people asking $30+ for this non rare game are on crack and feeding off the hype of saga), and more. It took me a long time to like the saturn, but after I started getting games for it I started to love it. Soukygurentai, dodonpachi, and radiant silvergun are my favorite games for the system so far (granted they are all shmups).

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #23 of 62

Sorry it's dark. My room has one window, and I have black out cloth over it (need it since I work overnight and sleep n the day, and any light bothgers me). The light in the room isn't bright enough for the camera, it seems.

In the picture:

Panasonic 60VT60
PS4
PS3
M17x R4 Alienware laptop

Borrowed:

Schiit Asgard 2
Shure 1840

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #25 of 62
  Thanks, I think I'm gonna change it up a bit next year. Need to get some monitor mounts/arms and a better way to stack my audio hardware. Even with a large desk I find that I'm running out of space...

I have this one, and really love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tyke-Supply-Dual-Monitor-Stand/dp/B002R9HQLI/

Actually I have the one that holds 4 monitors, but that's just because I wanted two above my laptop screen, and the 4 option has a longer pole, so you can elevate the monitors higher.

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #27 of 62
Hey,

The Saturn is an awesome system. I just recently picked up all the Panzer Dragoon games on it. They are NTSC-J of course, and were $60 all together, but compared to the US price for Saga.... well worth it (Saga in the US is around $250).

I own a lot of import Saturn games, like 40-50 of them. I have a package of 10 more games coming.

But I recently picked up a brand new copy of BIOHAZARD 2 for the PS1 for cheap. That things going to be encased in carbonite to preserve it.

Here's some vrients of my all time favorite game:

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #28 of 62
Nice setups, fellas!

Zombie, so this is the thread you were talking about. I know I'm a mad man when I game... so I appreciate you guys bearing with me... hahaha

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #29 of 62
  *images truncated*

The lighting in my room sucks, hence the bad looking pictures. It all look better in real life. Anyways the explanation for the 3 monitors is the LCD is for Shows and Component 480P+, the PVM CRT is for RGB SCART though a BNC adaptor and S Video, and the Compaq/Sony is for VGA.

Anyways the consoles are hooked up like this genesis/32x w/Crystal Clear Audio Mod, SNES, Turbografx 16, Saturn, and PS1 (audiophile version) are all hooked up through SCART BNC adaptor to the PVM (grey one in the middle), the NES is hooked up through composite BNC, and the N64 S-video is hooked up to the PVM.

The Dreamcast gets its own CRT monitor through VGA (480p is gorgeous, its like playing HD versions of old games)

Finally the Xbox and Wii is hooked up through component to LCD, and the atari 2600 hooked up through RF to the LCD.

Nothing looks better than a professional CRT monitor for retro gaming 
wink.gif
. My speakers are Klipsch heresys for the front channels, and cantons for the mid and rear channels. I also have a PS3 and PS4 hooked up to a modern 55" Bravia in another room for modern gaming, and a couple dozen other consoles scattered around the house.

Not only do you have a nice collection of retro consoles (including THAT SATURN), but you've even got a Sony PVM for 15 KHz RGB support for 'em! You've got it made!

Meanwhile, here's my messy gaming area:

That's just a fraction of my console collection on the left side of my desk, notably my own Saturn (connected via RGB to my PC's capture card), an original Xbox (still the best Xbox) and my PS3. I've got my other consoles elsewhere, chiefly two NES front-loaders, two SNESs, a Model 1 Genesis (unfortunately the crappy VA7 variant without CCAM yet), an N64, a PSone and a Wii.

The capture card's mainly to get around the fact that my glorious GDM-FW900 there can't sync with 15 KHz RGB natively and lacks component inputs for the newer consoles, but I also plan on streaming console games at some point.

It's primarily my PC gaming desk, though, and a crowded one at that. I need better peripheral mounts.

Jan 12, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #30 of 62
Thanks for the compliment. I never thought of hooking up to a capture card directly to get 15khz RGB support. The PVM/BVM series look so gorgeous for retro gaming its insane. Its pretty much like watching the spiced up HD versions that are on PSN and Xbox Market Place. I really want one of the 20" BVM models with the whopping 900 lines of resolution. Though I am guessing mine looks decently similar as I have 600 lines on a smaller 15" screen. Are you using a Sony monitor? 

The genesis CCAM mod is a pretty decent mod. If your into chip tunes the music can be very entertaining, especially when playing a game like Musha. I got mine modded from a guy on one of the sega forums when I bought his genesis with S video (this was before the whole upgrade scheme). The true stereo is a very nice touch.The guy also does an awesome job by making a clean circuit.

I never have been a huge fan of any of the Xbox systems. I even have some pretty decent games for mine and it still does not get played. Conker will probably be the only thing I will play through more than once on that console. They also die off pretty easily. I have 4 of them and only 2 work, I owned a couple other broken ones but returned those. The disc drives suck, and the pcb boards are notorious for the traces to oxidize. One of them I cleaned the traces up enough where it would turn on if you hit the power button a bunch of times in a row. I do want a 360 to pick up some of the dodonpachi imports though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back