Show us your gaming set-up
Jan 15, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #46 of 62
Instant API fragmentation unless majority of developers jump on? No please lol.
tongue.gif

Seriously that actually worries me we are heading towards another Glide era.

I do hope Mantle becomes a thing however I also know games will still need d3d for the next little while until we can migrate over to one API(unlikely).

Am I the only one who is worried by the bad that mantle can do as well as the good?

Mantle has to first come out, and be any good before you should worry. And in truth, the only people who should worry about it are Nvidia. If it really is that much better, just buy an AMD card :)

Jan 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #47 of 62
Mantle has to first come out, and be any good before you should worry. And in truth, the only people who should worry about it are Nvidia. If it really is that much better, just buy an AMD card :)

No thanks Jeff.

AMD still has a long way to go with driver latencies before I ever consider them again. Their frame pacing drivers are showing promise and I hope they get it under wraps. If/when they do, I will consider it. I am no fanboy, just want the beat gaming experience. Even if that means jumping to AMD for mantle one day.

We will see indeed this year what happens with all these GPU technologies.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #50 of 62

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #52 of 62
Gamer on extreme budget here

CPU : Intel Core2duo E4300 1.8Ghz OC to 2,3/2.4Ghz on stock fan
VGA : Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
RAM : 3GB DDR2
Mainboard :  Intel DG965RY
HDD : 80 GB + 520 GB
Monitor : LG 17"

I have been using this rig for about more than 6 years or so
Crazy that I just need to overclock the CPU , upgrade to an HD 7770 from X1650 , add 1 more GB RAM, a new  HDD then I can play many many games up to 2013 on medium or high settings with just a little tweak here and there

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #53 of 62
Gamer on extreme budget here

CPU : Intel Core2duo E4300 1.8Ghz OC to 2,3/2.4Ghz on stock fan

VGA : Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition

RAM : 3GB DDR2

Mainboard :  Intel DG965RY

HDD : 80 GB + 520 GB
Monitor : LG 17"

I have been using this rig for about more than 6 years or so

Crazy that I just need to overclock the CPU , upgrade to an HD 7770 from X1650 , add 1 more GB RAM, a new  HDD then I can play many many games up to 2013 on medium or high settings with just a little tweak here and there

Yep, if you're ok with working inside your PC case you can extend its useful life longer than most expect. I finally had to scrounge up the $ to replace my 7-8 year old single core Athlon 64 based PC. Same as you I extended its life with clock increases, add'l RAM, & GPU upgrades. Being on a tight budget caused me to learn a lot about PC 'innards' :wink:

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #54 of 62
Agreed , the time spent on reading a lot about PC 'innards' as you says serves one well , not just saving you a couple hundreds bucks on buying a new rig , it also help you guess/fix related software, hardware issues . Mine has run for 6/7 years but the only time I need to bring it to a shop is when a single capacitor of the PSU died and just needed replacing with another one , cost me just few bucks, lol. Not to mention where I live power cuts is the norm , and when I was in high school my dad never hesitated pulling the plug instead on using power button : ))

In case you dont know , my motherboard doesn't support OC at all, there is no options to OC in BIOS whatsoever , thanks to all those reading I know there is something called setFSB, I can OC in window , if my there is BSOD or power cut it will reset the clock on next reboot . Now I;m quite content with raising the clock by 30% , on full load CPU temp is around 60C under 70C recommended by intel , not anywhere near E4300's potential (OC safely up to 3GHz on STOCK fan) but considering its age and I never clean the heat sink ,also OC through window , it's good enough for me. Heck my most recent game is METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE 2014 , and I run it on medium .AAx2. AFx16 , only get slow down when I chop things to hundreds of pieces which is kind of cool , since it looks like slow-mo effect :D .

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #55 of 62
Well to be fare , I cant run decently Shogun 2 , medium or ultra is the same , zoom out and campaign map are fine but when things get nasty , the frigging game becomes a slideshow, simply unplayable . But I am quite a graphics hog that wont accept playing anything on low , so just need to avoid EXTREMELY CPU demanding title then (since Starcraft 2 run fine to me, hiccups here and there but no big deal )

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #56 of 62
Here's my newest gaming setup:
hamadugu.jpg

It's Nexus 4 android phone, Moga Pocket controller, Moga Universal Driver app and My Boy! Nintendo Game Boy Advance emulator.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #57 of 62

While I liked that monitor when I owned it, and it is a great monitor. 4K is coming out, along with G-Sync.

In a few years when 4K IPS G-synic monitors are a thing for the same amount that one cost new, you will need another monitor :p

I think the best LED monitors these days are more than good enough for gaming... and a LOT more convenient than the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back