Shouldn't a cross-feed make a difference?
Mar 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
I built this circuit this afternoon, supposedly (and I have no reason to doubt the claim) based on the Meier crossfeed circuit:
Jan Meier Bass enhanced Crossfeed
So I'm wondering, shouldn't I hear some kind of difference?
confused.gif
I've been listening to some tracks with pretty dramatic panning effects as well as more "centered" tracks, and I can't tell the difference with any of them.
Is this just a very subtle crossfeed design?

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 10
I found the meier crossfeed to be quite subtle at first, but the most noticeable sq should be less bass, if I remember correctly. I found this odd because the headroom circuit was the opposite, way more bass. In both cases it was very dependent on the recording.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 10
It depends on the track, if there is a lot of sounds that are only recorded on one side, then it should make the same sound a little from both, but if the audio is recorded mostly the same in both sides, the difference will be negligible. You also have to consider that the input impedance of the crossfeed is quite low so if your source doesn't like low loads (about 2K I think - and a source wouldn't like this if it has low output caps, such as 1uF that I usually use for 50k amps), it will roll off the bass. If using a "commercial" product, it'll probably have electrolytic caps on the output so you won't need to worry.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 10
You should hear the music soften and the volume drop ever so slightly when you activate the crossfeed. It isn't hugely noticeable, but you'll notice fatigue drop in an extended listening session. It won't stop a hard pan, but you'll get a bit of it in the other ear, similar to speakers.

I wish Dr. Meier would put the Cross-I back in production. I switch up sources, amps and headphones, but I always use the Cross-I.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 10
If your amp uses RCA connectors, unplug one, then toggle the crossfeed on and off. If you don't notice it then, it's broken, or your ears are.

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 10
There is an uncomplicated schematic for a Meier bass enhanced crossfeed within the Meier article in the Headwize library. If it is the same circuit as yours it could be used to check all you connections are correct. I have built the little circuit in the library and its use is audible with my CMoy amp.

good luck!

F

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Tangent, I tried your trick and I did hear a bit in the "silent" ear, so I guess it is doing something. I also noticed after a few hours I wasn't as fatigued. And thankfully it doesn't sound like I have any impedance mis-match issues as there is a very slight increase in bass. I guess the effect was just very subtle.
Uncle Erik- That Cross I did look very nice. Thankfully Meier posted the circuit diagram. At some point I definitely want to build the full circuit.

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Alternatively, you can use a sound generator such as NCH, and check the crossfeed using a set frequency.

If everything is working properly, the crossfeed should be present at low frequencies, and slightly attenuate at you increase the 'pitch'.

In case you need to download a tone generator:

Tone Generator Software - Create Audio Test Tones, Sweeps or Noise Waveforms

You can also find all sorts of different cross-feed designs floating around, so you can always experiment before deciding on the one to use in your amp.

[size=xx-small](Come to think of it, the Meier cross-feed looks like it'll fit inside the amp I'm planning... I'll go check it out.)[/size]

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Doh! It probably didn't help that I had plugged it in backwards! I guess that's what I get for making the box perfectly symmetrical
biggrin.gif

normal_picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your amp uses RCA connectors, unplug one, then toggle the crossfeed on and off. If you don't notice it then, it's broken, or your ears are.

Yup, this is exactly what I've always done to quickly test a crossfeed circuit.

Better that the circuit is broken than the ears!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back