Should new member sellers send items BEFORE being paid when selling to "trusted" members?
Sep 8, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 59
That's the danger about it. I've done it once where they sent it to me beforehand but that was their idea. I would never ship it before getting paid regardless of who it is. They could be the most trustworthy person but even good standing members here have turned into very not trustworthy people.

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 59

Quote:

If more people started demanding the product to be shipped before payment, I'm pretty sure you'd see "I shipped him the amp and he didn't pay me" more.

So maybe it's a toss up. But I still agree with the original poster: The guys with the least amount of post and least feedback should consider shipping first to prove his honesty if the buyer requests it. If they don't want to fine.  I was recently looking at a several hundred dollar amp, but when I saw 30-something posts and it took the guy four days to respond, I said to myself "No way...." I considered asking them to ship first, but since that's not the way its usually done, I didn't bother to ask.  I lost an amp, he lost a sale. If there was the "ship first" option, we both might have won.

Ideally, someone should volunteer (or be paid) to be Mr. Head-Fi Escrow. Someone who gets the money and when the amp comes to him, ships it to the buyer. Then the seller gets sent the money.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #18 of 59
I think that the whole to receive the product before payment is a little extreme even though I see it as a good idea. How about half upfront and the other half when the product arrives safety. It at least shows a small level of trust for both parties. There is always going to run a large risk for the parties if the whole amount is paid first or the item is sent first. There is just a smaller risk if half now and half later.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 59
When I did my first Head-Fi transaction - selling a HD600 - I requested half upfront and half on delivery: I had no idea what the decorum was.

I was then politely told by members that I should expect everything upfront. Yay me!

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 59
Hello,

New guy here - I'm reading this topic as it's quite apt for the situation I'm in (I'm trying to sell a pair of SE530s with all of the accessories).

I can understand why you'd be edgy about new guys coming on trying to sell something but what if you are like me where you want a decent set of headphones but may not want to sit on a forum discussing them all day?

As a workaround I suggested listing them through eBay where the buyer can "Buy It Now" - they'll be able to see that I have excellent feedback on eBay and are fully protected by eBay and PayPal.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #22 of 59

Quote:
Hello,

New guy here - I'm reading this topic as it's quite apt for the situation I'm in (I'm trying to sell a pair of SE530s with all of the accessories).

I can understand why you'd be edgy about new guys coming on trying to sell something but what if you are like me where you want a decent set of headphones but may not want to sit on a forum discussing them all day?

As a workaround I suggested listing them through eBay where the buyer can "Buy It Now" - they'll be able to see that I have excellent feedback on eBay and are fully protected by eBay and PayPal.

This is also a very good idea.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #23 of 59

Quote:

Escrow. 
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #24 of 59
completely unreasonable, if i was a new member without any feedback i would tell the person asking me to ship the item first to get lost and as a member who has been around here alittle over a month i would never ask anyone else new or "trusted" to ship the product before i pay them. if you want the product and everything is on the up and up with you then you will be willing to pay for the product upfront as you do with everything else in life.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #25 of 59
Too risky, for sure.  Anyway, isn't this what Paypal is for - to protect the buyer?  If you pay via paypal, and use your credit card as the funding source for paypal, you are pretty protected as a buyer.  OTOH, if you are a seller, and you ship without payment, you're really potentially completely SOL.

I would never ask someone to ship me something before I paid.  If I see a reason not to trust the seller, then I simply don't buy from them.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #27 of 59

Quote:

So maybe it's a toss up. But I still agree with the original poster: The guys with the least amount of post and least feedback should consider shipping first to prove his honesty if the buyer requests it. If they don't want to fine.  I was recently looking at a several hundred dollar amp, but when I saw 30-something posts and it took the guy four days to respond, I said to myself "No way...." I considered asking them to ship first, but since that's not the way its usually done, I didn't bother to ask.  I lost an amp, he lost a sale. If there was the "ship first" option, we both might have won.

Ideally, someone should volunteer (or be paid) to be Mr. Head-Fi Escrow. Someone who gets the money and when the amp comes to him, ships it to the buyer. Then the seller gets sent the money.

NOW, you're on to something. That is fantastic. It would cost time, but it's still pretty good. This would have to be requested by the buyer and the buyer would presumably cover the "handling" charges to said person.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #28 of 59
I'm 100% with Skylab here. I'd never ask someone to ship before I pay. That's what using a credit card through PayPal is for. If the seller wants an extra 3% to cover fees, I pay extra. It is worth it since most things sold here are at a fair discount over new, so I'm still getting a good deal. If someone doesn't seem quite right, I don't buy in the first place. If I really trust someone, I'll send out PayPal without fees. I did that in my last transaction and got an awesome transformer at a good price.

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #30 of 59

Quote:
I'm 100% with Skylab here. I'd never ask someone to ship before I pay. That's what using a credit card through PayPal is for. If the seller wants an extra 3% to cover fees, I pay extra. It is worth it since most things sold here are at a fair discount over new, so I'm still getting a good deal. If someone doesn't seem quite right, I don't buy in the first place. If I really trust someone, I'll send out PayPal without fees. I did that in my last transaction and got an awesome transformer at a good price.

True. I've been quite lucky so far though. I've made about 6 purchases so far I think. I've only paid as "goods" once and that was because the buyer requested it and covered the charges. People have had ample chances to bust my head. I'm starting to learn some stuff now and am taking more precautions. My first transaction though, I didn't even get the guys name or anything. We settled on a price and I just sent him the money 2 minutes later as a "gift" without even asking if he wanted it as a gift. It was only a $100 T3D, but still, he could of had me had he wanted. I didn't even check his feedback now that I think about it! I'm not so naive any more though. Still maybe a little too trusting. I won't hesitate to send as a gift as long as the dude has been a member for a little while or has even a few hundred posts. Which I'm also learning that posts counts and member seniority don't really matter much either.
But. like I said, so far so good and I'm really loving this community. Hopefully it stays that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back