Should new member sellers send items BEFORE being paid when selling to "trusted" members?
Sep 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Br777

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all.   I've done a fair amount of selling on this site since my inception as a member.  Like many others here, i have gotten to the point where I have built up the trust of the other members through many purchases and sales and a growing feedback thread, and therefore have little issues buying or selling. 

As we all know it is tough to trust people who are new to the forums, and yet of course, some of them are genuine. after all, we have all been there.  I am wondering what you all think about this:

Is it reasonable, as a "seasoned" "trusted" member, to request from a new member that the item they are selling be shipped and received before payment is made?   Obviously the seller would have to agree with this, and there are always risks of the buyer, seasoned as they may be, ripping the new person off.

I don't have an opinion on this yet, just wondering what ya'll think.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 59
I think this is completely reasonable. For example, i I was a buying, and I'm buying to from a guy who has never dealt here, how do I know that he is legit? Obviously, he needs to ship first. Otherwise, there is no assurance that he will ship. What if he just takes my money and leaves?

The suggestion to check for a valid address with a message in an envelope seems like a good idea too.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 59
I think it depends on what is being sold. If it's something cheap like say a SR60i or something it might not be as reasonable like a HD800. Then again there is risk to the seller as well since there's no assurance they the buyer will pay once he receives the item.

In my time at head-fi I've only done a pay when receiving once. I paid a portion of shipping and a bit more and sent the rest when I received it. It wasn't too expensive as the total cost was $200 but if the seller is not a scammer there could be some compromise such as some percentage of the total cost before shipping and then the rest when the item is received.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 59

Quote:
Is it reasonable, as a "seasoned" "trusted" member, to request from a new member that the item they are selling be shipped and received before payment is made?   Obviously the seller would have to agree with this, and there are always risks of the buyer, seasoned as they may be, ripping the new person off.

I'd tell someone who registered in 2001 to stuff it. I'd tell someone who registered in 2010 to stuff it sideways.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 59

Quote:
 I'd tell someone who registered in 2001 to stuff it. I'd tell someone who registered in 2010 to stuff it sideways.

its insightful posts such as this that pay true homage to the "
moz-screenshot.png
Headphoneus Supremus" title. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 59
I've always wondered about this. This buying over the web (from strangers) is a completely new form of commerce. Of course, when you buy from a retailer, you pay first. This is tradition. Why? Because on the seller's end is the promise of good service, REPUTATION and willingness to take returns. That's why we buy from well known merchants - SAFETY.

BUT when you're buying mano-a-mano, who's to say who should deliver first?  Why does it have to be the buyer in this case? The seller isnt offering any of the advantages of buying from a big retailer. Both parties are taking risks, and I say the Headfi party with less feedbacks, posts and a lesser reputation should be put in the role of the "buyer" (in this case he's "buying cash' in exchange for his barter) and should have to ship first. 

So yeah, I think there's absolutely nothing wrong, and it's probably correct for the new Head-fier to deliver his end of the bargain first — even if he's the seller.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 59
As a seller, if someone told me "i will pay you once i receive the product" i would have to say no.
Unless it was skylab or nikongod or uncle erik. You get the picture.
As a buyer, i would never dream asking someone to send me the product first.
I would be afraid they would simply move on to the next potential buyer, who would be more than willing to pay up front.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 59
I think it's better to just exchange phone numbers and such. I've sold a couple of things on here and I wouldn't even consider shipping first. Not even for Jesus himself. Just only pay with the paypal goods option and get a confirmed address and phone number and you should be good.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 59

Quote:
Good God! Hallelujah from the mount! It's a miracle. Common sense has appeared on the internet. Holy stigmata, Mary's face is in the Lite-Bite and I lost the pegs years ago! Someone get a screen shot!!!!

I love ya, Podna.

Thank you sir. And besides, how am I supposed to make easy money on the FS forums if I have to ship out an item I don't even have? As soon as they realize I sent them a box of air and I was supposed to send them an R10, they're not going to pay!! C'mon people! Common sense. Geez...

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 59
Wait Samgotit...'the people on the internet' are real? TELL ME THEY  DON"T ACTUALLY EXIST!
eek.gif

Quote:
Good God! Hallelujah from the mount! It's a miracle. Common sense has appeared on the internet. Holy stigmata, Mary's face is in the Lite-Bite and I lost the pegs years ago! Someone get a screen shot!!!!

I love ya, Podna.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 59
Sep 8, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 59

Quote:
As a seller, if someone told me "i will pay you once i receive the product" i would have to say no.
Unless it was skylab or nikongod or uncle erik. You get the picture.
As a buyer, i would never dream asking someone to send me the product first.
I would be afraid they would simply move on to the next potential buyer, who would be more than willing to pay up front.

But as a buyer you're accepting the deal:  "I will send the product once you pay me." I don't see that as any less risky than the seller accepting "i will pay you once I receive the product." Ask that of the dozens of folks here who have been ripped off.  It never seems to be a case of "I shipped him the amp and he didn't pay me." It's always someone saying: "I never received the amp."

"Unless it was skylab or nikongod or uncle erik"

And that's exactly the point of this thread. Of course you would trust them, they're mainstays at headfi. The original poster wants to know why shouldn't it be okay to make IMMAROCKGOD with a post count of 12 ship his $450 Ray Samuels amp to Skylab first? Since nobody know a damn thing about IMMAROCKGOD.

"I would be afraid they would simply move on to the next potential buyer, who would be more than willing to pay up front."

And that's exactly the emotion that these crooks feed on. Ooooh, it's such a great deal. I better jump on it!  I've seen guys here ripped for for $1000, $1,200, $1,400 because they stuck with "tradition."

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #15 of 59

Quote:
But as a buyer you're accepting the deal:  "I will send the product once you pay me." I don't see that as any less risky than the seller accepting "i will pay you once I receive the product." Ask that of the dozens of folks here who have been ripped off.  It never seems to be a case of "I shipped him the amp and he didn't pay me." It's always someone saying: "I never received the amp."

If more people started demanding the product to be shipped before payment, I'm pretty sure you'd see "I shipped him the amp and he didn't pay me" more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back