Should Michael Jackson be called the Self-Proclaimed King of Pop or just Wacko Jacko?
Aug 9, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he was a James Brown hack, nothing more.

There's no doubt Michael was influenced by James Brown but I think it's more like how Sir Isaac Newton stated it: "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants". Michael perfected and devised his own stuff. I don't quite see how that could be a hack haha. If anything I'd say almost all the pop stars today are hacks of Michael Jackson.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #17 of 52
King of Pop for this decade. It's pop. I'd say Elvis would be the King of Pop of all time. That title is not about talent. That title is about popularity.

And I don't see how James Brown could be pulled down to such a dull category.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he was a James Brown hack, nothing more.

I saw James Brown twice in the months before he died (the fondness he found for fish suppers while in Scotland probably helped him on his way).

Both performances I wanted to be so good, and were so utterly rubbish, of course, you'd only know that if you waited around long enough after the billed start time for him to finish his battered haddock and actually come on stage.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 52
and? do you think you'll do any better when you'll be 73? that's his final track, for the next album he planed on releasing in 2007 : Grooveshark -- Listen to Free Music Online -- Internet Radio -- Free MP3 Streaming

not that bad, eh? but the true JB was in the 70's, good god! sometimes he was releasing 6 albums/year, and not just fillers
evil_smiley.gif

that's the true JB: YouTube - James Brown - Mother Popcorn (1969)

or this: YouTube - JAMES BROWN COLD SWEAT LIVE 1969

watch his moves at the end! does it remind you of MJ, just a bit?
biggrin.gif

and his cover of Sunny is beyond words : YouTube - James Brown - Sunny

Why wasn't I born in the 50's, I missed Black Uhuru and JB on stage...today's music just doesn't hold a candle against these, especially w/ their loudness war bs
rolleyes.gif

luckily we have DVD concerts and videoprojectors...his Olympia 71 concert is totally hysterical on a 2 meters wide projection screen! good god
popcorn.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 52
I wonder what kind of mark it would leave on your brain to have the kind of childhood that he had. From SUCH a young age to be chased by the paparazzi, pushed by parents...it would be rough. He was pretty much the bread-winner of that whole clan from childhood. No question he was really, really weird as a result, but I still grew up to his music and continue to listen to it now.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Total whacko.

Sorry, 10 total albums (over almost 40 years ???) and 5 number one's certainly doesn't qualify for king of pop in my book.

Average to poor singer. Great dancer but I would still take Gregory Hines any day.

yes 10 total album as a solo artist but 17 more with the Jackson 5. Not sure where you are getting just 5 number one's from but its' 12 number one's as solo and 4 more with Jackson 5.

He has the best selling album of all time Thriller and has sold over 250 million albums as a solo artist. not sure how many was sold with Jackson 5.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 52
Both of these:
- Self-Proclaimed King of Pop of the 1980s
- Wacko Jacko

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 52
I've added one more quotation to my original post, namely:

Quote:

There were signs that Jackson was grasping at his self-proclaimed King of Pop status;
the cover of HIStory depicted [size=medium]an enormous statue[/size] of Jackson, and he performed at the 1996 BRIT Awards
dressed as a Messiah, with children and a rabbi surrounding him worshipfully
(Pulp lead singer Jarvis Cocker stormed the stage to protest Jackson's hubris during the middle of the song).

(From the All Music Guide)

tongue_smile.gif
popcorn.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #28 of 52
I wonder if "King Of Pop" is necessarily a good thing or a title of honor. I guess being "self-proclaimed" makes it alright for him to be known by that title since he proclaimed it himself. He certainly had psychological problems. I guess the true extent of those issues will be revealed as time progresses. It always struck me as being a little cruel though to refer to him as "Wacko Jacko."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back