should I use a portable headphone amp with my v-moda crossfades?
Oct 31, 2012 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blind illusion

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, I am new to the head-fi forums. I have an ipod classic 120 gig that I use with my v-moda crossfades. My format for my music on my Ipod is 325 kb/s AAC. I was wondering if using something like a fiio e6 or e11 wo uld help improve the sound of the headphones? Would it be a cleaner signal than running thru the headphone jack?

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 6
A headphone amp will typically improve the bass response a tad as well as give you more volume.  I would say adding the expense of a headphone amp will only give you about 10% more bass.  If that is what you are looking for then an amp would be a good decision otherwise you may want to change your headphones.

What are you expecting or wanting out of your current setup?

More bass?

More treble?

Less noise?

Quicker transients?

More air / soundstage?

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 6
I am very happy with my crossfades, though i want more soundstage out of them. I mainly listen to classic rock and metal, with drum and bass and jazz also being on that list as well(i listen to too much stuff to list). I rip my cd's straight to aac by the way. Overall im happy with the crossfades, but i want to get even more out of them, mainly meaning a larger soundstage.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 6
I am very happy with my crossfades, though i want more soundstage out of them. I mainly listen to classic rock and metal, with drum and bass and jazz also being on that list as well(i listen to too much stuff to list). I rip my cd's straight to aac by the way. Overall im happy with the crossfades, but i want to get even more out of them, mainly meaning a larger soundstage.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 6
If anything, the only improvements I've noticed by amping the M-80s would be that the bass tightens up a bit and it sounds a bit less muddy over all.
Amping them hasn't done anything to the soundstage on them from what I hear, and the only thing that helps with the not so great soundstage on them would be my modified linkwitz crossfeed circuit.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 6
Are there any eq settings you could reccomend? I currently stick to no eq, following what Val Kolton said about the crossfades being designed for use with an ipod/iphone with no eq, from what i remember. I just wish there was a way to make the drums sound less compressed on some songs. My AAC's are good enough to where you can easily tell a triggered drum kit from a real kit though, so I guess it's not too bad. Thank you guys for your help and sorry for my noob questions. My experience in audio is more in the recording, and guitar/bass instruments and amps field, so if anyone ever needs advice for that, hit me up and I'll try my best to help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back