Should I upgrade my ANANDA?
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zomkung

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I bought an ANANDA as my first open-back, 2 weeks ago for 699USD.

I'm using it with TEMPOTEC SONATA HD PRO. I have a budget to upgrade a bit more.

The HE1000V2 is selling for 1000USD on Taobao.

Should I upgrade my ANANDA with a better DAC/AMP or buy a HE1000V2 with DAC/AMP Combo(I will sell my ANANDA then)?

and how much is the difference from HE1000V2 to ANANDA?

For the DAC/AMP paring with HE1000V2, I plan to buy the IFI ZEN DAC, which I think should be enough.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 10
Aren't the HE1000 V2 a $3000 headphones? $1000 for a pair seems odd but I don't know anything about taobao. If it's true, this is quite a deal!

Here is someone comparing both: https://www.headphoneer.com/hifiman-ananda-review/

The Zen DAC seems appropriate for the Ananda but I feel the HE1000 v2 could use something more substantial. This is $3k headphones territory, it deserves more than what $129 DAC/amp has to offer. It's a great DAC/amp, don't get me wrong I own one at some point and like it but it was driving a pair of HD58X, not $3k headphones.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 10
Aren't the HE1000 V2 a $3000 headphones? $1000 for a pair seems odd but I don't know anything about taobao. If it's true, this is quite a deal!

Here is someone comparing both: https://www.headphoneer.com/hifiman-ananda-review/

The Zen DAC seems appropriate for the Ananda but I feel the HE1000 v2 could use something more substantial. This is $3k headphones territory, it deserves more than what $129 DAC/amp has to offer. It's a great DAC/amp, don't get me wrong I own one at some point and like it but it was driving a pair of HD58X, not $3k headphones.

The Ananda is on sale now for 699USD. If ordering from Taobao(China), the HEK is just 1000$$ Which makes me want to sell my Ananda.

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 10
i went from an ananda to a he1000v2 to an he1000se

Though the ananda is pretty good for the price, the hekv2 is a great step up from the ananda.

From memory i found the ananda a little too metallic or unnatural at times on the high end that’s why i returned it

i have never looked back after going down the he1000 path

from memory again the he1000v2 are somewhat eaay to drive, the hekse are very easier (but more expensive). hekse v hekv2 have a bit more precision in their sound but that’s not what you initially asked :)

tl:dr yes, I would easily go from ananda to he1000v2 if it is $1000 and in good condition

(and later you can send to hifiman and go to hekse if you wish for another $1k)

all the best

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 10
Ps make sure it is the he1000v2 (hekv2) and not the hexv2 that you are looking at for $1000

as $1000 sounds really cheap.
some hekse are being sold here for just under $2.5k

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 10
Hi,

I bought an ANANDA as my first open-back, 2 weeks ago for 699USD.

I'm using it with TEMPOTEC SONATA HD PRO. I have a budget to upgrade a bit more.

The HE1000V2 is selling for 1000USD on Taobao.

Should I upgrade my ANANDA with a better DAC/AMP or buy a HE1000V2 with DAC/AMP Combo(I will sell my ANANDA then)?

and how much is the difference from HE1000V2 to ANANDA?

For the DAC/AMP paring with HE1000V2, I plan to buy the IFI ZEN DAC, which I think should be enough.
I have (had) the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and would rather upgrade the DAC/Amp before thinking of a new headphone.
This will depend on the kind of music you are listening to though. I find heavily processed or computer generated music to benefit much less from a good DAC than high quality recordings of acoustic instruments for example.

I have only heard the Sundara and Arya, but the Ananda should be a very good headphone and I think the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is not capable of delivering the signal quality that fully shows the Ananda's potential.

I'm a big fan of the Chord Mojo, for a more analytical sound the idsd micro family is supposed to be very good in that price range as well.
I'd not really go below that roughly $500 class, because that is really a sweet spot where you get a lot of SQ for your money.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 10
I just bought the FIIO K5 Pro. The sound is fuller than the dongle dac.

I don't think the sound signature of the tempotech hd pro and FIIO k5 pro are much different. Just more power and feel more bass.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Can't answer directly as we don't know what $1k is to you.

My opinion: Have heard the Ananda, Arya, and Susvara, and a few headphones in the HE-1000 family of headphones - don't remember specific revision numbers, etc. To me, the first 3 all had a very similar sound and seemed to be a direct upgrade path with very few changes. I think the Ananda is fine for <$750, but no, it's not end game or summit-fi. Otherwise, I'd try to get an Arya for <$1300, ideally around $1k if possible. The Susvara is SLIGHTLY better than the Arya to me and has a slightly different sound, but DEFINITELY NOT worth the extra $ in terms of sticker price. IMO not even worth an extra $500 (this is with diminishing returns in mind) and this is all assuming you like the slightly different sound to begin with. The various headphones I've heard from the HE-1000 family sound different from the above, but I don't think they're bad if you can get them for $1k-ish.

If it were me, I'd start with an amp and DAC upgrade, I think you will see a bigger improvement vs a "small absolute improvement" on the headphone side. Listen to said amps and DACs with which ever headphone you choose as synergy is much more obvious and important once you start playing with higher end headphones than having an extra perceived 0.5% absolute performance increase with DAC or amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back