Should I try the K701?
Aug 18, 2008 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
here is my setup right now:
Benchmark DAC1 (w/ a couple mods) > Cayin HA-1A > HD650 (stock cable)

It sounds good, but I wish the sound were just a little clearer. I want to hear just a bit more of those shiny, detailed, realistic highs I once heard on someone else's SR325i. I always find myself wanting to turn the volume up a little more, but it just never gets to the clarity I am looking for.

I was thinking about trying the K701, how will they compare compared to my Senns?

Or maybe I should just spring for an upgraded cable for my HD650?

thanks all

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 14
The K-701 highs are more detailed and forward than the HD-650, but the K-701 isn't my favorite headphone. It is good enough to keep and I enjoy it, but there are others you should think about.

If you liked the more forward and detailed character of the Grados you heard, you might enjoy the Beyerdynamic DT880 or the Sony MDR-SA5000. Both have a similar signature, like the one you're looking for.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 14
K701 is a relatively solid headphone from the short time I have spent with it and I much preferred it to the HD650 in quite a few aspects. The 650 felt a bit too muddy and bloated for my tastes.

The SA5000 mentioned by Erik is a good suggestion - it's a very enjoyable headphone with a lot of that clarity that you are looking for. I was very surprised at how engaging it was when I listened to it.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 14
holy crap there are a lot of threads comparing the hd650 and k701. One thing I read a lot was that the K701 needs a really beefy amp to get the most of it, which I have. So I am really tempted to try the k701. I am just dying for that quick, but still full, punchy sound.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 14
I've noticed that the equinox cable helps with the 650 sound - of course the 701's have better treble and will sound more analytical if that's what you want - the cables help the sound but don't totally change it.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 14
For me the K701s are not comfortable and they sound distractingly bright.

I know that some folks swear by the K701s but I am not one of them.

If you can get access to a pair it would be worth trying them on to see if they fit your head. Good luck!

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 14
I was in the same boat and I caught a pair of them recabled by ALO in the FS forums. I was really surprised at how full they sound, how low the bass goes and how articulated it is, the punchiness of the sound was also a surprise to me. My only gripe is that they do sound a bit dry, but I am hoping to combat that by swapping out the tubes in my X Can v8.

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 14
if you're curious, i think you should try them
wink.gif

i was fortunate to have my brothers' k701s to compare to my 650s, which i prefer more. but rather than take mine or anybody else's advice, i think you should listen for yourself!

as far as aftermarket cables go, i'm a definite cable advocate. i remember not being so impressed from switching to stock to my zu, but i couldn't go back from zu to stock.

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy crap there are a lot of threads comparing the hd650 and k701. One thing I read a lot was that the K701 needs a really beefy amp to get the most of it, which I have. So I am really tempted to try the k701. I am just dying for that quick, but still full, punchy sound.

As the Nike ad says: Just Do It!

Aug 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
providing of course your amp is beefy.

You don't NEED a beefy amp - just a good one. I've run my K701s off of amps as small as the Headroom Total Bithead (new model with adjustable gain) and its been fine sonically. Right now - as I type this - I'm using them with a Headroom Poratable Micro Amp w/DAC and the sound is all I could ask.

The origianl poster has amp enough for sure to make the K701s sing.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 14
yeah the cayin will amp anything I throw at it. So I am going to try it. If I love it, I will sell my HD650 and recable the K701. If it prefer my HD650 I'll sell back the K701 and recable the HD650.

Sigh. sorry, wallet.

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 14
I heard the K701 and the K340 both stock with a RSA Raptor. IMO the K340 sound better. If you want to stay with AKG get a pair of K340 send them to Alex for mods and recable, replace the earpads wit the one KT88 sells here in the site and add some cotton or neopren between the pad and the driver to increase the distance to your ears. The only disadvantage is that you will need a powerful amplifier to drive them correctly.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Last time I had K701's I was only running a Corda Aria for both amp and DAC. They sounded awesome on that modest setup, I cant even imagine them on a nice tube setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back