should I sell my watch, to buy cool audio gear
Feb 19, 2010 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
I saved up money for four months. saw a classy tag heuer , out of craigslist. and a great deal. $1500. I can sell for $2,000 on ebay. I feel great and confidence when wearing it, but its so expensive im scared to wear i except sometimes. now I've got no headphones or audio gear anymore that I might have wanted (like woo amp and DAC or IEMs). So should I sell it? with original $$$ get a good rig or portable setup which I will use everyday? when I weigh the options in my mind. wearing that watch is a great joy NOW. but will i get sick of it?. I saved four months to get this money. now my mind going back and forth, and it only brings me sadness. some people like me arent good with $$$.if i buy audio stuff. will I be missing owning this watch?

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 35
Just personal preference, I would rather have a sweet $1500 audio set-up rather than a watch. I mean, unless it does something else other than tell time, it does the same thing as my cell phone, and that does far more and cost far less.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 35
Tag's are generally nice, but don't have the best movements.

as you're finding out, they generally hold their value so you won't usually lose much, if any money on your investment. same with high end audio gear.

watches are meant to be worn. don't be one of those people who just buys it and then stores it away in a box. if you're not using it, flip it for the audio gear. when you get tired of that you can sell it and go back down the watch route or whatever else strikes your fancy at the time.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingInABlueDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just personal preference, I would rather have a sweet $1500 audio set-up rather than a watch. I mean, unless it does something else other than tell time, it does the same thing as my cell phone, and that does far more and cost far less.

it can be argued that a pair of SkulCandy's do the same thing as a pair of Grado's
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it can be argued that a pair of SkulCandy's do the same thing as a pair of Grado's
tongue_smile.gif

Well, they both produce sound, but that's probably where the similarities stop. My point is that, a watch has few uses other than telling you the time. A nice headphone set-up will get many hours of usage, rather than a quick glance on occasion.

I worked with a guy that wore a $800 Movado watch to work, and not once did someone notice it until he brought it up (for several months). It's just like beautiful jewelry really. He just wanted someone to notice it on occasion, and if it gave him some level of confidence, then it is working as intended. Maybe I think differently about my possessions. I value things that I know I will use often. If I could sell something I owned and rarely used for some really nice audio gear (or anything for that matter), I would do it. As you stated, if it isn't your thing, sell it and go back.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wearing that watch is a great joy NOW. but will i get sick of it?.

If you're really enjoying it now, keep it. Then later if you end up not enjoying it so much anymore, sell it. Since it's not going to really depreciate in value, it won't hurt to hold onto it for a while.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingInABlueDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Then why buy a 2000$ headphones when a apple earbud will also play music?
If you're happy with your watch then keep it.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #10 of 35
I would sell.
You probably get more usage time with the watch, but I suspect you will enjoy a audio rig more.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 35
Ask with most things in life, I ask myself this most important question: Which one will impress the ladies?

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #12 of 35
I prefer music to time. I lately considered buying a watch, but I wouldn't need it that much so I opted for a second amplifier. Should I also mention the complete Bitches Brew recordings and a lovely Pioneer?

As I wrote, I prefer music to time.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then why buy a 2000$ headphones when a apple earbud will also play music?

... apple earbuds play music?
normal_smile .gif

Sell the watch! Especially if you're a man, save the expensive jewelery for women... you know the history of the wrist watch for women to wear on their arm; men carried them in pockets.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 35
"A man is only as good as his watch"

"You can tell a man by his watch"

I dont know who said that, but whatever.

Sell the watch,...buy an ESQ or a Tissot for $400, and the rest on audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 35
FlyingInABlueDream, I wear a nice watch that I don't want people to notice.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not everyone, though. The people who do know what it is are interesting to talk to. Anyone else will completely overlook it.

Personally, I'd sell the TAG and get audio gear instead. If you need convincing, take a look at the service intervals then contact a shop to find out how much it will cost for routine maintenance. They'll probably want upwards of $300 every two years. Is that worth it for you? You'll find maintaining most audio gear to cost much less in the long term.

That's a lot of what killed (more or less) the watch hobby for me. I don't want to DIY watch repair. Sometimes, you can't. Manufacturers keep a tight rein on replacement parts so the watches always have to go to an (expensive) authorized service center.

However, with one of my amps, I can order any number of replacement parts and install them myself, or get a tech to do it.

Think about the possibility of loss or damage, too. It's a lot easier to scratch the hexk out of a watch or lose it than a 20 lbs. tube amp that sits on a shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back