Should I go with JDSLabs cMoyBB Amp while I wait for ODA to come out?
Aug 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Alec246

100+ Head-Fier
My HD558 is almost here, and I don't have any headphone Amp for it. The DAC will be my X-Fi Titanium HD, but the Headphone Out has a pretty high impedance, not adequate for the HD558 50Ohms headphone.

I almost bought an O2 headphone Amp, but it didn't fit my needs, I don't want portability, as soon as I read ODA was going to be released eventually, I decided to wait for it, since it will be the perfect match for my usage. Until that happens, and it can take a long time until ODA comes out, I'm looking maybe about getting a good and cheap Headphone Amp to do the Job.

The JDSLabs cMoyBB seems to be very good, and at a reasonable price I wonder if it's a good investment to use until I can get a definitive Amp.

What do you guys think?

Aug 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 19
I don't see why not. You can always sell the cmoyBB out once you have the ODA

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 19
Yeah I have, but the cMoy I think I read measures better than the Fiio, isn't it? Neither one sells in Brazil, so I would have to purchase over the mail, taking a month to arrive. Maybe ODA is already to come out by then...

Would the 30ohms output Impendance of the Titanium HD do any harm to the HD558 50ohms headphone?

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 19
Great question. I want the o2 or cmoy as well but I really don't have much need for a portable amp (portable DAC/Amp, yes). I really would like the ODA. What's the ETA?

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 19
Hi Alec,Which city are your from?
I am from two seconds from buying the O2,But eventually the Oda will be released...
But first of all, do you know where to buy their weird 220/110 to 14 Vac trasformer!I think it will be harder to find a proper trasformer that the O2.I just ask myself why it need this boring adapter hard to find here..
Falou!

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 19
Sou do Rio! E vc?

The problem is selling the used O2 here after the ODA has come out. I don't think it will be easy, and I can't end up with 2 Headphone Amps. About the transformer, I have no idea about that, send an e-mail to JDS Labs asking them about it maybe they can help you!

Valeu

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 19
Bro i am from Porto Alegre;I agree with you,and I am considering the O2 because although is bulky i can use as portable nonetheless,but i think i will wait a little more to see if the Oda come out and wait for some impression!

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 19
Yeah I saw some of them, but without documentation, I don't know if they're up to the quality of the JDS Labs model. JDS Seems to have created a version of their own with optimizations for sound quality, are the normal cMoys also that good?

Edit: Seems NJM4556 is the Op-Amp to go for a cMoy Headphone Amp, but it's incredibly hard to find one built with it, people seems to prefer more expensive, and not so good with headphones OpAmps.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 19
I'm liking the HD558 straight from the Headphone Output of the Titanium HD so far, so I think it's a better move to wait for ODA to come out and then buy the definitive Headphone Amp. Maybe when I hear it from a Headphone Amp I will like it better, but that won't happen until I buy one, so it's a Win Win situation for me! hehehe Thanks

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Yeah I saw some of them, but without documentation, I don't know if they're up to the quality of the JDS Labs model. JDS Seems to have created a version of their own with optimizations for sound quality, are the normal cMoys also that good?

Edit: Seems NJM4556 is the Op-Amp to go for a cMoy Headphone Amp, but it's incredibly hard to find one built with it, people seems to prefer more expensive, and not so good with headphones OpAmps.

where did you come up with that opamp as the "go to" opamp?  Have you listened to a bunch of opamps?  If so in what cmoy design?

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 19
I got that info from the Blog of the "One that should not be named", he tested a bunch of them, and this Op-Amp showed as the best for Headphone usage, and one of the cheapest in his tests.

I have already arranged to buy a JDSLabs that was being sold by an user here at Head-Fi, so I will have a cMoy to use with my HD558 while I wait for the ODA to come out. It uses an OPA2227, which isn't as compatible with different types of headphones as the 4556 according to him, but mine should have no problem.

I will let you guys now if I notice any improvements when the unit arrives here, should take a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back