Should I go the custom route?
Dec 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Abovetheair

100+ Head-Fier
Ok to start out I am looking at 1964 Customs and they look ideal for the price being customs. Here's the problem, I am only 16 right now and I am thinking that my ears will still be developing. Will my ears still be changing at this age? If so I am thinking that customs wouldn't be for me because of the cost of having them remolded. If that is true I saw that 1964 Ears offered the custom sleeves for your earphones, would this be a good route or should I go with universal?

If I was to go for a universal in the $100 to $200 range what do you think I should get? I want a pair of earphones for travel so isolation is key.  I might be able to extend it to $220, and no I am not going to be buying used earphones.

Genres listened to(Highest to lowest):
Rock
Blues
Hip Hop
Electronica
Classical

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 6
Stick with universals for now. I can't think there could be anymore changes that could be going on for you right now.
tongue.gif

If you want utmost isolation, you might considering looking at the Etymotics, HF5 in particular. This is because no earphones (except for customs in their perfect fits) would isolate as well as the Ety's. However, they aren't very good with rock, since they don't really have prominent lows (bright, detailed, and analytic is often the Etymotic sound signature).

Do you have any preference to what sound frequency you enjoy the most?

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 6
I love the sound of my MS1's. Would that be the highs?

Quote:
Stick with universals for now. I can't think there could be anymore changes that could be going on for you right now.
tongue.gif

If you want utmost isolation, you might considering looking at the Etymotics, HF5 in particular. This is because no earphones (except for customs in their perfect fits) would isolate as well as the Ety's. However, they aren't very good with rock, since they don't really have prominent lows (bright, detailed, and analytic is often the Etymotic sound signature).

Do you have any preference to what sound frequency you enjoy the most?

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 6
The W2's are a good choice.  They will work well with all of the music you like and have good isolation if you use the right tips.  I think it is better to stay with universals until you decide which sound sig. you like.  You need to have a good idea of what you want out of your iems first and that may take some trial and error.  The iems you do not like you can sell.  Customs are harder to sell and you will not get as much for them. Just my opinon.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 6
I've talked to JH audio and Ultimate Ears about ear growth (I'm 17) they both replied with "your ears are in there most stable point of growth at your age... but your ears and nose don't stop growing until the day you die"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back