Should I go from Creative EP630 and/or AKG K240 to a Sennheiser?
Jun 28, 2010 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LetUsPrey

New Head-Fier
Alright, audiophiles, need your help on this one.

I have an AKG k240 which I use professionally in my home studio while making music. When I'm traveling or just feel like enjoying some music, I twist the cap off and stick the 3.5mm revealed into the laptop/mp3.
For more convenient use I have a Creative EP-630 earphones that have also served me well over the years, I use this more when traveling.

I was walking in Guangzhou markets a few days ago and saw a Sennheiser retailer. Being a musician I was ashamed I've never tried them, with all the good things I hear about them. So I went in and did just that. The quality was amazing, but of course, too many people and noises around, I couldn't decide anything for certain there and then so I went back pondering for days whether It's worth spending some money on some new Sennheiser headphones with roughly the same price range as the AKG k240s.

If so, what models would you recommend? (My Iphone music is majorly composed of Acoustic/Alternative rock and trippy New Age)

I'd just like to say the key factor here is QUALITY QUALITY QUALITY. I don't care much for details like connectivity or noise cancellation.

Thanks for the help guys!

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 3

[size=medium]
If you're planning on using your iPhone as a main source, I greatly suggest you find yourself an amp. The Sennheiser product range is renowned for requiring an amp to drive them, and the cold and analytical signature sound. Considering the K240's fair price I can only come to think of 1 pair that would suit that price range; the HD555. 

Personally I think you should avoid the Sennheiser swamp altogether, and especially these audiophile cookie-cutter phones HeadFiers rave about days on end.
No, but really, if your instincts tell you to enjoy Sennheiser, then for all means, go for it!
[/size]

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 3
That is pretty insightful. Thanks mate. What about listening on the move though? Where most of the time I listen to the Creative EP-630 (Amazing quality per amount imo), and taking an amp with you on a plane and such would be a little impractical, no?

I'm thinking of going to the retailer again tomorrow and trying out your suggestion and maybe some different models and possibly that'll help me come to a decision on the spot.

I wouldn't mind more opinions on the matter though =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back