Should I go for Tubes after all? DT 990.
Dec 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Velocity

Head-Fier
For I think 4-5 months ago I bought myselft a pair of DT990. And I was aware of them needing a AMP, and I coulndt get a better price for the Nuforce HDP i came over. I didnt know though that It wasent the best match mixing HDP/ICON with DT990, but I took an advice from here and turned 8khz down a bit. Then I was all happy agian, cause it did sound very good and still does. 

But, the thing is, since one or two weeks back, I have read around a little. And this forum can really do som twists in the brain if you read to much . And the twist is that it all have to started sounding dry and thin and maybe a little bit grainy. And this is not some change in sound or break in, it just my own perspective of how it should sound.

Its not that that I dont enjoy my cans anymore. They have that soundsignature im looking for and I do not think that a HD 650 purchase would be the better option for me. What I do think is that Tubes may be in its place to make things right. I really have no experience in tubes more than what I´ve read here on head-fi. But everyone keeps telling about the DT series + tubes being a great combo. 

So what ya all think. Should I go for tubes? Or do you suggest other cans? Neverthless I need some advice then. Wich Tubes should i buy? 

Thanks.

One more thing, I read that Nuforce HDP should be getting source from the optical/coax input instead for the USB. If that is the case I need to get a decent cdplayer to = )

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 15
i prefer the hd 650s over my 990s most of the time. they just have a more welcoming sound to them. i like both tho.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 15
I use tubes on my 990s.  I feel the 990s need tubes to sound their best.  The tubes tame some the treble, highs, and sibilance.  Also, since the 990s have a slightly recessed midrange, the tubes bring a little life back to them by giving them a little bloom.  Since the 990s are high impedance (if we are talking about the 600 ohms), they really benefit from the voltage swings that tubes can provide.  The 990s come alive on tubes, where they sound quite flat and uninspiring on my solid state receiver headphone jack.

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 15
they do greatly benefit from tubes. can't wait till my WA2 comes. its better suited for the 990s compared to the WA6SE which already performs really well with them.

i plan on upgrading to T1s so i can experience the legendary WA2/T1 combo which is supposed to have really good synergy. plus i need to buy some top tier headphones since i think that the WA6SE is too much amp for some of the headphones i have lol.

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 15
My 880s transformed after switching from an E9 to a WA2. It made such a difference I don't bother recommending the beyers with SS anymore.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 15
the WA2 is also 10 times more expensive than an e9 lol. its on a completely different level.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 15
loved the WA3 with the 990/600.  LOVED

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 15
my WA2 arrives tomorrow! 
biggrin.gif
 so excited!

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 15
@ OP: I wouldn't blindly believe everything you read here 
evil_smiley.gif
 Trust your own ears first and foremost.
Anyway, in my opinion the DT990/600 sounds great through my solid-state headphone amplifier, and USB doesn't necessarily have to sound worse than S/PDIF. If you have a computer (or other source) with toslink/coax out you should try it for yourself first.
Regarding tubes, I've also noticed that generally people prefer high impedance Beyers with tube amps, I'd love to hear myself what all the fuss is about, but for now I'm happy with the sound I'm getting through my current rig 
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 15
I really like the sound I get out of my DT880 600 ohms when I use my La Figaro 336C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back