Should I get TTVJ flats?
Feb 12, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 49
Yeah, just get em. The midrange is a lot better and meatier with the flats, trust me.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, just get em. The midrange is a lot better and meatier with the flats, trust me.

I'm still wondering how they feel.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still wondering how they feel.

2X. I love vocals on the flats. does wonders for adele or diana krall.
I "eq" raising the upper treble just slightly and it clears up the muddiness and congestion that many experience with flats compared to bowls.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #19 of 49
OP, I got a question for you. Now that you have put in significant time in research and had conversations about the things, are you ever going to be able to let it rest. If you can you are a better man then me. At this point Id say just buy them because you will just wonder about them forever. At least I know I would. Thanks to this dang thread now I feel compelled to buy them and if I dont I will always wonder and it will drive me nuts. And the funny thing is the descriptions of the sonic differences dont even appeal to me, but somehow I always feel like I gotta try these things out for myself. Ug. I need some time away from headfi.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, I got a question for you. Now that you have put in significant time in research and had conversations about the things, are you ever going to be able to let it rest. If you can you are a better man then me. At this point Id say just buy them because you will just wonder about them forever. At least I know I would. Thanks to this dang thread now I feel compelled to buy them and if I dont I will always wonder and it will drive me nuts. And the funny thing is the descriptions of the sonic differences dont even appeal to me, but somehow I always feel like I gotta try these things out for myself. Ug. I need some time away from headfi.

I probably would enjoy them, I like the muddier sound because the harshness goes away a bit, and that's what makes the mids so warm and weighted. I love that sound... right now I'm just curious about the comfort level.

What do the pads feel like more? The soft dry foam of the comfies or like the harder pards on the bowls? How secure do they stay on the headphones?

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #21 of 49
They are constructed the same way as the bowls, with three layers of foam. Most everyone finds them more comfortable than the bowls.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #22 of 49
I don't have flats but now I feel compelled to check them out. I just got an SR-60 in the mail from another headfier. After opening up the cups, punching out holes in the rear cloth and removing the front screens, the sound is already cleaner and with substantially greater bass. But when I quarter-modded some comfies, I found the intimacy and more robust bass to be quite appealing. I've always enjoyed the bowls, and have found that bowl-fatigue can often be treated by stretching the bowls so they fit looser, but I'm beginning to think that the best way to acoustically harvest as much bass as possible, without invading the mids and HF, is to keep the ear/driver distance tight. With comfies, the SR60 has plenty of bass and a nice slam to it. With the Q-mod, the effects of veiling are lifted. And if there's a greater need for openness, removing the front netting adds more sparkle to the mix.

Since I'm a guy who likes to play with his food, I'm considering a resell of my HF-2 as I stay with the lowly SR-60.

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that the "i" Grados are out, the flats aren't really necessary anymore, but the vast majority of the older models sound better with the flats.

With this statement do you mean that my RS2i's have more bass than the older RS2's thus not requiring flats to boost bass?

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #26 of 49
Woot Woot! I'm a bowl fella but if I need a boost in the lower end or to tame the top end sizzle on some songs, flats are the way to go. Looking forward to your impressions as I never listen to a 325 series. Oh boy, I'm sure your tempted with the Magnum mod, I would be, lol.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woot Woot! I'm a bowl fella but if I need a boost in the lower end or to tame the top end sizzle on some songs, flats are the way to go. Looking forward to your impressions as I never listen to a 325 series. Oh boy, I'm sure your tempted with the Magnum mod, I would be, lol.

I'm going to pay for it in June. (magnum full)

I also want locking L/R blocks if I can help it. My stock plastic ones are very poorly made. Only thing made well on my headphones it seems is the headband and the cups. Apparently the drivers are junk (good sounding junk), the pads suck (right now I'm using 1/4mod comfies), and my cord isn't even even. There's a notice-able difference from left to right. When I go magnum I'll definitely be sending a new cable along.

I'm waiting because I don't have cash in hand to do it (anybody could buy it on credit), and plus I need a good excuse to spend 400$ on a headphone rebuild so my girlfriend doesn't murder me.

Also, gonna try to sneak in the FUN.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #28 of 49
Suggest you forget about paying that kind of money for a mod.. The next step should be an older pair of RS-1 with the flat pads. In terms of John Grado, I started with 325, then a pair of MS Pro, then non-vintage RS-1/flats, and then Vintage RS-1/flats. Still have both pairs of RS-1/flats and bought pairs of HF-2.....then had them turned into Vixen(s). So, today I use RS-1/flats and Vixen/HF2 (and Joe's HP-2) to make me happy.
Never could get comfortable with the 325, no matter what. Did not like the treble roll-off of MSPro, and will never go back to HF-2 in stock form (as Vixen mod. is soo much better) - FWIW.

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #29 of 49
Not unless you want a muddy, unbalanced sound with a small soundstage from your Grados!

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not unless you want a muddy, unbalanced sound with a small soundstage from your Grados!

Are you saying this of the Magnums or the older wood grados?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back