Should I get TTVJ flats?
Feb 12, 2010 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Aynjell

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everybody.

So, lead in a bit to my question, I've tried every pad available for the Grado except the C-Pad, the HD414 re-purpose, and the flats. Of all the pads I've used, the ones that sound the best are the quarter modded "comfies". They are so powerful, in your face, and beautiful.

But, one thing I cannot tell immediately from the pictures is the comfort level or if the sound will change much from quarter mods. One of the things I like about the 1/4 mod is that it's so in my face and warm with the rig in sig. I'm wanting to try the legendary pads... but at 35$ I'm not sure it's worth my while. Thoughts? Experience? Those of you who've tried both the 1/4 mod and the flat:
  • Is there much of a sound difference?
  • Can I expect a similar level of comfort, or better?

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 49
I have Q-modded comfies and flats. The flats have better bass IMO. Worth the money to me. I tried C-Pads and disliked them because they changed the Grado sound too much.

The comfort level of flats to me is not far behind the comfies.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Q-modded comfies and flats. The flats have better bass IMO. Worth the money to me. I tried C-Pads and disliked them because they changed the Grado sound too much.

The comfort level of flats to me is not far behind the comfies.

So more bass, and less comfort? That's pretty informative. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting... and if comfort goes down, I'll probably pass. Who knows though, I may buy them simply for experimentation. I have about 60$ worth of pads so far. What's another 35?
biggrin.gif

I'll probably grab 'em if I find I need something from ttvj but I won't make a special order for them at this point.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 49
I picked up some Flats a few weeks ago. I really enjoy them with my RS-1s. Bass is more punchy and the music feels more intimate (which I enjoy with my jazz, metal, rock). The detail and separation is still there even with the closer soundstage.

I definitely prefer flats over bowls with my RS-1s. I have yet to try flats with my HF-2s. As far as comfort, I had to "bend" the band outward a bit to get more comfortable. I would rank comfort ... comfies > bowls > flats.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazeops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up some Flats a few weeks ago. I really enjoy them with my RS-1s. Bass is more punchy and the music feels more intimate (which I enjoy with my jazz, metal, rock). The detail and separation is still there even with the closer soundstage.

I definitely prefer flats over bowls with my RS-1s. I have yet to try flats with my HF-2s. As far as comfort, I had to "bend" the band outward a bit to get more comfortable. I would rank comfort ... comfies > bowls > flats.

If that's the case, then I won't want them. Bowls are just unbearable for me. For me, it's comfies, salad bowls, and then bowls.

And yet, I'm still intrigued. I'm really erally getting into my SR325i's right now.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 49
Something tells me you're right beez. Like I said, extra bass isn't a huge thing for me. THe comfies are exactly what I want in a pad, a bit of physical warmth, something to cozy up next to. As far as I can tell it's everything the SR325i is missing. Once you plug them into a well configured amp (a tried and tested setup on my part), and lay back, no matter how hard you try you can't get past the physical distraction of the pads. having that physical warmth and cushion helps the mind relax and accept the accoustic warmth of the SR325i. Just the feeling allows me to accept the SR325i for what they are. Beautiful, musical, and powerful. Every note, it has a touch of bass behind it. I almost need that warmth. So, my question I guess I should ask, is...

are the pads stiffer than normal... are they basically carefully shaped foam like I imagine based on the pictures?

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 49
I like them very much on the RS-1. So, yes.

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 49
yeah they're the most comfortable pad to me by far. i've owned the sr60, rs1i, and ms1i (got em in that order). i sold the rs1 but i'm sure i'll pick one up again in the future though. grados just don't sound right to me anymore without flats. i can get used to reversed hd 414's but bowls are too thin and bright to me now.

i've actually been really wanting to try out the 325 because every negative comment i've read (shrill highs etc.) can probably be completely resolved by using flats, which for whatever reason, many aren't willing to try because they refuse to spend 35 bucks on some foam.

yes, $35 is kind of a lot for some foam pads. but we're also talking about pretty expensive headphones. the nice thing about grados is that the sound can be drastically changed by the pads, and to many the 35 bucks is completely worth it.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 49
comfort depends on your ear shape. For me, bowls hurt cause my cartiledge grinds right up against the driver mesh. That's still true with flats, but less so, for me, so they are way more comfortable. People who finds bowls more comfortable are generally those with smaller/etc ears that sit inside the bowls without touching the driver.

As for sound, I wouldnt' take anything but flats for any grado, but especially the SR325. they're bright so they need the treble brought down, and the bass is very tight, so it stays pretty good with flats.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 49
I just bought a pair of flats from TTVJ also, and they are on their way.
I am a big fan of the RS1 for a long time but only listened with the bowls.
I want to see if the flats will add a little bass as everybody say,so I can use with my SS rig also. with the bowls it is a little too piercing with my headroom amp.
by the way,I also got me a new pair of bowls on the way
smile.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 49
There's a reason Todd found a place to manufacture them to the original specs...these are worth the money and effort more than most people realize. Now that the "i" Grados are out, the flats aren't really necessary anymore, but the vast majority of the older models sound better with the flats.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 49
I know the costs of the flats would scare anyone from doing a mod for it, but for anyone who dares and find the stock flats too warm and muddy, try this mod (Got this idea from one of the previous owners who did it): cut about 5mm of the foam out in a circle from the inside so that the hole is bigger. This will release bit more of the detail in the highs and the upper mids and IMO, give the flats a bit better balance. With this mod it's easily my favourite pad for my RS1 classic.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a reason Todd found a place to manufacture them to the original specs...these are worth the money and effort more than most people realize. Now that the "i" Grados are out, the flats aren't really necessary anymore, but the vast majority of the older models sound better with the flats.

I thought the story was that he bought up the last remaining stock from Joe Grado. Although you would then have to wonder why the couple pairs of "new" flats that I have are in pristine shape/not crumbling or showing signs of age, as they probably would if they were nearly a decade old.

As for the OP: Yes, I would recommend them. Flats are as comfortable as bowls and change the sound of RS-1's, etc., in a very pleasant way. More intimate and more bass "oomph" which, for many genres, sounds pretty darn good.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the story was that he bought up the last remaining stock from Joe Grado. Although you would then have to wonder why the couple pairs of "new" flats that I have are in pristine shape/not crumbling or showing signs of age, as they probably would if they were nearly a decade old.

As for the OP: Yes, I would recommend them. Flats are as comfortable as bowls and change the sound of RS-1's, etc., in a very pleasant way. More intimate and more bass "oomph" which, for many genres, sounds pretty darn good.

Will I lose that mid body? I don't have any issues with shrillness... I have a nice weighted mid, and a powerful punchy bottom end. The dry and weighted mids draw me in, and the details are all there in spades... bass is tight, and highs are clear, but the mids have that way of enveloping me. a dry heavy mid section...

Will I lose that? It's what I've come to love about my grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back