Should I get the HD598 or the DT 880 (600 Ohm)
Mar 13, 2012 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

AddisonTaras

New Head-Fier
Which one sounds better? Could you go into the detail of their signature sound and stuff like that?
and which music style is better for one of the headphones?
I listen to pretty much everything except Electronic type music.

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 29
DT-880
Get a good amp to go with it, and you're good to go. I'd suggest the Schiit Asgard but there are some other good amps out there like the Matrix M-stage.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 29

Quote:
Which one sounds better? Could you go into the detail of their signature sound and stuff like that?
I listen to pretty much everything except Electronic type music..

What source(s) are you going to use to power/drive the headphones?
The HD598 is easier to drive then the DT880 Premium 600-Ohm

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 29
Both are top shelf in their class (based on having the 598 and the similar 880 Pro 250 ohm).  Both are comfortable--the 598 more so.  The 598 is very easy to drive.  The 880 you want will require you to shell out money for a good amp--if you don't already have one.  That might be the tie breaker.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 29
not owning either of those, but owning both a Sennhesier 280 Pro and Beyer DT990, i can say the Beyers are absolutely phenominal to wear. The light frame, comfy pads and sturdy construction are amazing.

That being said, the HD598 may be largely different then the 280 in terms of weight and build quality/comfort

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 29
HD598 is more aggressive and forward, but in a clean clear way. The DT880 is more relaxed and smooth, not quite as relaxed as an HD650, though. I personally like the HD598 best. I've heard all 3.

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #8 of 29

Quote:
I listen to pretty much everything except Electronic type music.

Thanks.

I would get the DT880. It ultimately to me sounded like it had more extension and covers all genres as a good neutral headphone.

Very best,

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 29
I don't have an amp and if I need a good one for the 600 OHM one, then I might as well just get the HD598 cause I can barely afford either of them ATM.
(I'm not even sure when I'll get the money for one of these headphones)

I heard that the other OHM versions for the Beyer's suck.

Also, would either one of these headphones be a BIG upgrade from the ones now or just like a little bit?
The headphones I have now are the Superlux HD681B (2x32 OHMS) so I dunno if any of you guys have heard these headphones (they aren't the most known but they're surprisingly good, especially since they were only 60$ when I bought them)

and my most listened to music is Hip hop and Rock/Metal

Mar 13, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
I don't have an amp and if I need a good one for the 600 OHM one, then I might as well just get the HD598 cause I can barely afford either of them ATM.
(I'm not even sure when I'll get the money for one of these headphones)

I heard that the other OHM versions for the Beyer's suck.

Also, would either one of these headphones be a BIG upgrade from the ones now or just like a little bit?
The headphones I have now are the Superlux HD681B (2x32 OHMS) so I dunno if any of you guys have heard these headphones (they aren't the most known but they're surprisingly good, especially since they were only 60$ when I bought them)

and my most listened to music is Hip hop and Rock/Metal

The differences between the different ohms in the Beyers is completely overstated too much--the 600ohm is not night/day different, it's minutia. You can get the lower ohm DT880 and it's completely fine.

The DT880 would be a substantial upgrade.

Very best,

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #11 of 29
I found the the 598's all about the mids and treble. There was some bass on some recordings but I found myself always "listening" for the bass instead of just listening to the music. 

Go with the Beyers...

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 29
Simple, the 880s. The 598 isnt in the same league.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 29
I can also confirm that I found 598 lacking in the bass department. Very refined and probably best in its class/price range with very detailed and textured sound but if you like headphones that provide nice (deeper) bass impact look elsewhere.

If you do not intend to invest too much in headphones than Beyers 32 ohm versions can be taken in consideration.

And finally if you do not like to spend a fortune on headphones and still have a descent sound just look for cheaper Grado SR60 or even the tiny Koss Sportapro or Portapro. They will be fine for any type of music considering their price range and no amp is required.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 29
Second on considering Grado 60's...I really like Grados for rock and hip hop...I recently got the DT880 600ohm's. Like 'em but they don't have the lively-ness or aggressiveness of Grados (at 4x the price). Not familiar w/ the Senns so can't speak to those.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 29
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into.
I have the Senn HD558s and to me they have decent bass.

Maybe just get a decent headphone amplifier, might improve the HD681Bs enough that you could get away using them a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back